HP Rating for a custom bracket

Mine was made by PDR marine in Bellingham. It’s the seasport factory pod

I think the situation is totally different here for @sasqman . He's modifying a 40+ year old boat. And we're in Canada. I think a new boat from an established manufacturer has to meet some legal obligations that don't necessarily apply in this particular case. I'm not advocating for reckless behaviour here, just observing differences in the various situations.

@sasqman I just looked at your pics for the braces inside the hull. You mention that you would attach some angle to the existing flatbar braces. This would be a marginal improvement. Flatbar is a very poor shape for transmitting compressive loads (prone to buckling). Angle is better, but a tubular section would be even better. Do you have space to replace the upper braces (the longer ones) with square tubing?

I think the situation is totally different here for @sasqman . He's modifying a 40+ year old boat. And we're in Canada. I think a new boat from an established manufacturer has to meet some legal obligations that don't necessarily apply in this particular case. I'm not advocating for reckless behaviour here, just observing differences in the various situations.

@sasqman I just looked at your pics for the braces inside the hull. You mention that you would attach some angle to the existing flatbar braces. This would be a marginal improvement. Flatbar is a very poor shape for transmitting compressive loads (prone to buckling). Angle is better, but a tubular section would be even better. Do you have space to replace the upper braces (the longer ones) with square tubing?
Yep. I believe I can. Might have to do some kind of offset but it should be possible. If i can't figure it out with tubing, possibly 1/4" wall extruded channel would be an upgrade.

Back