How to smooth a rough idle

fish stalker

I have a older 70 VRO evinrude (vro still in place). But we only seem to have two trolling speeds slow and fast. Depending on currents and winds this is a pain in the butt. Alot of the times id like to be right in the middle but it idles really rough and makes the rods shake. Not sure if this translates down the line? But it dosnt feel normal. Is there anyway to tune the idle?

My experience is with these motors is that the 3 cylinder design does not like to troll down well.
You can do it , but it's a lumpy idle that tends to shake things around.
I would look around for a 6-8 hp 4 stroke kicker, you can troll all day smoothly and hardly burn any gas.

I have a older 70 VRO evinrude (vro still in place). But we only seem to have two trolling speeds slow and fast. Depending on currents and winds this is a pain in the butt. Alot of the times id like to be right in the middle but it idles really rough and makes the rods shake. Not sure if this translates down the line? But it dosnt feel normal. Is there anyway to tune the idle?

Have you done any maintenance on it lately? Replacing the fuel filter and plugs should be done annually. Use Champion L77JC4 plugs only. NGK plugs suck for these motors.

Cleaning the carbs will usually help rough idle with these motors. Being 3 cylinder 2-stroke engines they don't have an incredibly smooth idle at the best of times but it can be much better than you describe.

Spraying carb cleaner into the throttle body or adding cleaner to the gas mix won't help much. The carbs need to be removed and all the passages and jets cleaned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys looks like its time for some maintenance.

First time ever last trip out we dropped a cylinder so we know something needs to be done.

It actually trolls very well most of the time. We keep pace with the big boys out there and catch fish. You just set the throttle nice and slow and use the fast idle control. Its just that middle speed. its either 1.8-2.4 or 3.0-3.4 I use the dr angle line but also like to look at sog just to get an idea. we have a 4hp 4 stroke kicker that came with the boat just a bit small. with douche bags blasting by you left and right in sooke and a small boat you need the power to turn your boat quickly if need be. plus we dont have a connecting rod so steering the kicker from the back is a pain when your trying to watch the rods.

Thanks!!

Back