How to remove stubborn pin bones from chinook salmon fillets?

Breakin"even

Crew Member
I had no problem with sockeye fillets but I used needle nose pliers on Chinooks and after grabbing the pin bones I broke the ends off. Any tips would be appreciated.

I have a very small pair of pliers that are only used for this. Some times they will just come out by pulling but sometimes if you just pull they break off. If they are not wanting to come out, move the pliers around in a circular motion to free them up and you can usually get them out without breaking them.

I have found that it may be best to get them out before you vacuum back and freeze them because those sharp pin bones can push through and break the air tight seal, especially if they get thrown around in the freezer while looking for things. Storing them in a box and removing the whole box when looking for things can decrease this.

Last edited:
One word.HEMOSTATS.Been using them for pulling pin bones out of salmon fillets for years.The key to not breaking them off is learning the proper angle to pull from and then thet basically just slide right out.Newf is also correct about them coming out easier when frozen first.Here's a decent pair of stainless ones on Amazon for under $10.https://www.amazon.ca/Stainless-Hem...18&s=gateway&sprefix=hemostats,aps,203&sr=8-8

One word.HEMOSTATS.Been using them for pulling pin bones out of salmon fillets for years.The key to not breaking them off is learning the proper angle to pull from and then thet basically just slide right out.Newf is also correct about them coming out easier when frozen first.Here's a decent pair of stainless ones on Amazon for under $10.https://www.amazon.ca/Stainless-Hemostat-Forceps-Serrated-Ratcheted/dp/B07PSDML8W/ref=sr_1_8?crid=D2RB84TWMAZ&keywords=hemostats+stainless+steel&qid=1564110318&s=gateway&sprefix=hemostats,aps,203&sr=8-8
I thought I was the only guy! My wife gave me a pair of these. Total game changer.

Yeah either wait a day to pull them (next day salmon is better eating than same day salmon anyways), or pull them after you thaw it out,

fb

Berry's bait sells the surgical style locking pliers for cheap. Under 10 bucks. Been using them for years. They work great for locking on the pin bones.

Yes frozen, but even one night in the fridge works too.
Super stubborn and almost impossible when fresh on the day they’re caught.
I use best quality tweezers

I find that one day in the fridge (sometimes 2) allows me to pull the pin bones fairly easily on 95% of the chinooks I catch. I have a special pin bone tweezers bought at a restaurant supply store many years ago by my wife, work great.

...Rob

I just stumbled upon the idea after smoking a big fatty just before I was smoking a batch of salmon and thought"Hey,this roach clip would probably work great for pulling those stubborn bones".LOL
You smoke fatties as you smoke fatties?! Well played

You smoke fatties as you smoke fatties?! Well played
Not any more.Gave that stuff up a while back now.Just puts me to sleep.Must be getting old.On the plus side I have a lot more smoked fish to share with my friends and neighbours now.Back then for some inexplicable reason the finished product got consumed WAY faster than it does now.lol

Not any more.Gave that stuff up a while back now.Just puts me to sleep.Must be getting old.On the plus side I have a lot more smoked fish to share with my friends and neighbours now.Back then for some inexplicable reason the finished product got consumed WAY faster than it does now.lol
Lol you’re awesome

Back