How to cut a concrete wall

Make sure you are wearing a properly fitted half mask with P100 cartridges as a minimum for this job, it's gonna pump out a ton of silica dust. Clean shaven for a proper seal too. Silica dust is finer than cigarette smoke. You can have a helper spray the cut with water to keep the dust down. I hate cutting concrete.

Do you know where I can rent one on the south island?
Pilon tools in Courtenay has them so does central builders rentals.
They are very expensive to rent though usually at least 500$ depending on how much wear you out on the chain. It is nice to go straight through the wall in one pass though

Pilon tools in Courtenay has them so does central builders rentals.
They are very expensive to rent though usually at least 500$ depending on how much wear you out on the chain. It is nice to go straight through the wall in one pass though
When I first saw them 15 years ago that's what the guy told me that was using it so I just never looked back. The price per foot of cutting is insane. Not that I verified it.

When I first saw them 15 years ago that's what the guy told me that was using it so I just never looked back. The price per foot of cutting is insane. Not that I verified it.

I cut two windows in a 8" foundation and it cost 700$ just for the rental.
Definitely won't be doing that again unless it's a spot that is impossible to get into with a regular gas axe

i own a couple of slab saws, do rock and slab work. not the walk behind type though... snap a line and let er rip. utilize water to keep dust down and blade cool. Do 90% of the cutting, drill 1 1/2" holes 3/4 of the way through every 1' sq. fill holes with nex-pro type 3 "colder weather" , nex pro is a non explosive expanding groute. Stuff is awesome!, next day hit it with a sledge and clean up the small pieces. finish edges with a small chipper. rough opening should be 6" bigger than the door rough in. back frame it or, build forms, pour in concrete. strip form and frame in the door.

Last edited:
As R C said wet saw , less airborne particles/ less $ , cleaner cut with a straight edge and a few passes at different depths from both sides , easier to attach the jamb , please make sure of the rough opening! best regards

Yeah, the Rock Boss saw is a very expensive way to go. It's more realistic for brick and block. The chains cost around $1500 for the premium type designed for cutting 25 mpa reinforced concrete, and the bars wear away, too. There are some jobs that are best left with the pro's. Cheaper, quicker, better.

i own a couple of slab saws, do rock and slab work. not the walk behind type though... snap a line and let er rip. utilize water to keep dust down and blade cool. Do 90% of the cutting, drill 1 1/2" holes 3/4 of the way through every 1' sq. fill holes with nex-pro type 3 "colder weather" , nex pro is a non explosive expanding groute. Stuff is awesome!, next day hit it with a sledge and clean up the small pieces. finish edges with a small chipper. rough opening should be 6" bigger than the door rough in. build forms, pour in concrete. strip form and frame in the door.
This is exactly the kind of advice I am looking for. Where does one buy this nex-pro type 3 non explosive expanding grout?
Although if anyone on the forum has a blasting ticket and some c3, I would be into that, cuz that would be awesome!
When I was a kid, the neighbour blasted a doorway into his basement while his wife and mother in law were upstairs having tea. He didn't tell either of them he was doing it. It didn't go over well with them, I don't know why?

This is exactly the kind of advice I am looking for. Where does one buy this nex-pro type 3 non explosive expanding grout?
Although if anyone on the forum has a blasting ticket and some c3, I would be into that, cuz that would be awesome!
When I was a kid, the neighbour blasted a doorway into his basement while his wife and mother in law were upstairs having tea. He didn't tell either of them he was doing it. It didn't go over well with them, I don't know why?

Nex- Pro at Apex Rock breaking Solutions

Back