How often do you grease wheel bearings?

Wireman

Here's a question I'll throw out there for you all, how often should one grease the wheel bearings on the boat trailer based on going out once a week travelling approx 70 KMS. round trip? THANKS IN ADVANCE CHEERS.

At least once a year with new seals when repacked and inspect bearings and replace if pitted. Use bearing buddies and a quality grease.

One pump in each bearing buddy after every immersion to push out any water.
I replace my bearings every 3 years.

AL

Check out the Search feature in upper RH corner you'll have lots to read on 'wheel bearings'. My recommendation would be to look at both sides at least once a year. Grease everytime after you immerse the axle. It would be best to repack before storage thou after all before winter layup![8D]

On The Beach

Another way to go, oil bath. I trailer a 27 ft orca over 1000miles one way and no longer have any problems. Change oil once a season, haven't touched a bearing in three years, used to have replace bearings every season, despite use of good grease and bearing buddies. Ranger bass boats all come now with oil bath bearings. Trucks have used it for many years. Company I deal with is:
Liqua-Lube Inc.
PO Box 71
621 East Lake Street
Lake Mills, WI 53551 USA

Phone 920 648 5188

They are great to deal with, and have various sizes. Its a great system.

slab burn; I looked at getting oil bath bearnings but you have to change your hubs (or drums) over to a threaded seal instead of a press fit one. Too expensive for my blood.

alley cat; you seem to do pretty well with your bearing life. What kind of trailer do you have? I have a Highliner and can't get more than one season out of my bearings.

I think my problem lies in the spindle shaft: it's galvanized, and I think it's hard on the seals. This time I'm going to try and put one of those stainless "speedy sleeves" on to see if that helps.

One or two pumps max each immersion is the reccommendation.

1, Yes you use regular hubs.
2. Part of the installation is to put stainless steel sleeves on the spindles to produce a precise tolerance for the oil seal in the back, so that it won't leak.
3. $140 for four wheels including tax. plus sleeves and oil. Not that bad compared to cost of changing bearings all the time. Plus the peace of mind is worth $$$$????

Yup been running my oil bath for coming on the 3rd season. Tandem axle trailer with the boat set up at around 3200lbs Ran from northeast A.B. to Sooke ( 1200 miles ) with er twice now and many runs to the lakes around home and I have yet to change the oil or have to do any service. Whats nice about them is if you get water contamination you can see it in the color of the oil or if you have bad seals you will see the oil seepage on the outside of the hub. As well you can see by the color of the oil when it needs changing.. Why spend all the money on a boat and a good trailer and chince out on the hubs ??? what ever the cost its one of those things that its not what you save money on.

Hi adrianna3 , I have a single axle E-Z Loader , but I use the water proof high speed synthetic grease you can get from the paper machine bearing lubrication mechanics ; having worked there for many years I observed the phenomenal runs on bearings under heavy and wet conditions , talked with the oilers and tried the product out , have been using it for over 20- years now and very happy with the results.

AL

I hope you guys know that there are two types of axle seals a single and a double seal :single for utility trailers and the double for boat trailers

Back