How much did that fish cost?

flytyer

Has anyone has noticed when they go shoppin with the misses as they pass the seafood section at the price for a salmon. Did some quick figurin and a not bad lookin spring will pull close to 60-70 bucks out of your wallet- can you believe that!!!!

and then us die hard fish in any weather conditions, will drop 100 on fuel, 20 on bait another 25-50 for any "extras" and when we come home with that just barley 10 pounder we are all smiles and dont give 2 cents about the cost of a fish.

Your thoughts????? and how much did your cost???

[8D]

It's super funny when you think of it that way, I think about that all the time just because it makes me laugh. I don't care how much they cost I'd never buy salmon prawns crab or halibut in the store no matter what anyways, but sometimes when the fishings bad give yourself a laugh and do the math.[8D]

I've got it figured that the fish I bring home are about $200/pound. I wouldn't trade it for anything though.
A buddy of mine owns a fish market. He told me that they pay over $100 for a good sized Salmon. By the time they process it and re-sell it, it's worth about $200.
That makes me feel better about our once a year Salmon trip. No matter how much it costs, it's still worth it.

I really don't think of it that way! Out on the boat enjoying what many only dream about, enjoying mother nature, quality time spent with friends, not thinking about work etc and chance of catching fresh fish, prawns or crabs priceless. I know many people that spend as much or alot more in a pub in a day drownding their sorrows or out with friends and don't have a chance of bringing home fresh prawns, crab or fish unless they stop and buy it on the way home. I for one cherish every moment that I get out on the water but landing fish is almost always the ultimate goal.

Besides fresh caught fish tastes better then anything from any store let alone the fact you caught it.;)

Cheers ME

Next time you're out fishing, look at that charter boat fishing near you. The people on there are paying anywhere from $600 - $1000 just for that day of fishing.
Then as the whale watching boats go screaming by, remember that each of them are paying at least $80 with no guarantee of a whale siting (only one company guarantees that).
I have no problem justifying it then.

When you see the color of the flesh on those supermarket fish, you would PAY ANYTHING to have a fresh caught fish. [xx(]

my wife agrees, the store fish do not look good enough to eat ( in most cases) so a self caught is price less! She would never buy a fish!

When I am out on the water fishing I feel so relaxed and so far removed from all the day to day stress of the job and life in general. If I don't catch a fish I still feel great just being out there. It is worth way more than what I have invested in the boat and all the extras to run it, and if I catch a fish, well that is like dying and going to heven. Nope, I can not buy fresh fish from a market or frozen fish from a grocerie store. I live in god's country and I am enjoying[^]
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

It depends where I'm fishing.

In the Vancouver salt its closer to the water than to the supermarket.

4 huors of trolling costs me about $2.

A $10 pack of anchovies lasts 2-3 days (unfortunately - not so many fish around).

Last weekend's fishing worked out to about $0.75/pound. Not bad, and I enjoy it.

J-Global , I think you forgot the price of your boat . And by the way do you know what B.O.A.T. stand for.... Bring Out Another Thousand . Just the same I would rather be fishing than working any day . Cheers

How much did that Salmon cost? Well if we do the math ...
blew up my motor last year....
hunted for a new used motor.... $1200
new downrigger wire, new lead balls x 4
new gear and a new rod last year...does that count.
lots of bait... if the roll isn't perfect then new bait is used sometimes in just a few minutes. The list can and does go on and on but to be able to take a day off work and go fishing is priceless. I bet it would make for a good visa commercial. If it was really about saving money then you are much better off going to Safeway and buying your seafood. We all go to great lengths to catch the "big" one and with a bit of luck we will.

If it was all about putting meat in the freezer then we'd all be better off doing something else. Meat for me is the bonus to time away from the day-to-day chaos. Even a windy, rainy, no fish day is better than sitting in the office all day...

Gas for vehicle to get out of the house for the day $20
Lunch and Beverages to eat away from civilization $40
Gas for boat to spend day on water $60
That bonus fish you caught PRICELESS

Cost of your boat $35,000
Tackle, rods and downriggers $2,000
Fuel and eats for a day $40
Loosing your 30 lber and knowing you can always come back tomorrow
Worth the price of admission

Your buddies capturing it all on film "PRICELESS"

Doesn't matter to me its the only time I get any peace and quiet,no cell phones, no pagers, no faxes, no e mails,no suppliers,When I go with my buddies ,we always have a great time,Although the wife is convinced that we could pay for the boat with the empties[just kidding]The chance of catching a nice fish or releasing them to me is priceless.I can still remember when I took a friend of mine out over 20 years ago and got him into a 42 lber the look and smile on his face, I can still remember to this day.DAN

It costs me around $10,000 to take the family out to the west coast for 10 -12 days every summer... Between rooms, meals and what ever else comes with vacation... Its not cheap,, but at least you do get something out of it.. Like you're own fresh Salmon to smoke, can or what ever... People spend that to go to Disney land and for what,,, to stand in line at some dumd ride,,, no thanks... I'll keep comin out west and doing my thing...

No one really sport fishes salmon becasue it is a cheap and easy way way to put meat on the table. It is all about the joy and experience of being on the water and the thrill of catching a fish.

I have a fairly nice boat which I earned. I have guys telling me how I've wasted my money, meanwhile they are hacking on a cigarette and drinking a beer.I don't go to movies and seldom eat at restaurants.To each his own.

Back