How far back to set hooks on Tomic plugs

Cool idea, but in rough water or fishing deep, it would be tough to recover your plug, since it could pop up a distance away

I couldn't disagree more. Unless you consider mid twenties Chinook small. I run twin gammys and I run the rear hook about half an inch from the tail of the plug.

He would consider mid twenties Chinook to be small :cool:. The guy has been fishing and guiding for longer than most on this forum. He knows his plugs fella :). He can sit and put his hand on the downrigger and before the plug goes off knows there is a hit. It's FM for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
He would consider mid twenties Chinook to be small :cool:. The guy has been fishing and guiding for longer than most on this forum. He knows his plugs fella :). He can sit and put his hand on the downrigger and before the plug goes off knows there is a hit. It's FM for sure.

Yup. He knows his stuff. I'm just saying, fish don't pick and choose based on hook make and model. We do as fisher men. image.jpg
This is what works for me.

The trebles are turned in a bit, and are tethered together with braid. The main line is fluorocarbon, and tied to the tether. There is a buzz bomb bumper in between. Fish don't seem to care. I'll take mid twenties fish all day long.:) Sculpin I saw your boat in C.R. About two weeks ago. From other posts, looks like you were on your way to Kyuquot. That tuna stuff looks like a blast! One day I will do it, but not with my little ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
Trebles are nice for secure hook ups but we cannot use them here on the dark side of the border.

I have never had problems with big singles.

Years ago I fished a whole herring rigged on a big treble behind a Hot Spot flasher, 48 inches of 60 pound for the leader. A killer, produced when everything else failed. Real simple and fast to rig up with a long bait needle and the old style paper clip. But Alas Babylon, cannot use this method anymore down here. If I were not so old I would move up your way to a better fishing area!

A people wonder why some members shy away from posting on here

Back