How far back to set hooks on Tomic plugs

noahhward

Like the title says, how far back should i be putting my hooks on my tomic plugs? Should the hook be as far back as possible?

Thanks

If running dbl trebles, I would run the second hook so it almost touches the tip of the tail on the plug.

Here's a video I posted once before which has some really good info.

I know he pulls the pin on the plug in the video but I don't think you have to do that. All you would have to do is run a length of braid off the pin loop on the bottom of the plug and attach your hook at the desired length. Basically a "hang back" / "stinger hook" rig without the main siwash hook.....I would imagine it would work just fine. I have seen people put 4-6 bead chain swivels off the pin loop and have success. I would think that would kill the action on the plug a little but then again, I'm new to this whole salmon fishing thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEtIGPLgOcM

You will find that you will get smaller fish with the twin trebles. I use a large claw style single to target the larger fish

IMO just do what Tomic and the commercial guys do. One large siwash hook. If your hooks are too big or too far back they can hang down more in the water at slower speeds and impede good first strike hook ups in my experience.

I thread the leader through all my plugs. If the leader breaks, the plug will pop up to the surface and can be retreived.

I just run my mainline thru the plug, thru a bead and tie on my swivel with a hook attached. Put it back about 60 - 75 ft and troll fast......works great

You will find that you will get smaller fish with the twin trebles. I use a large claw style single to target the larger fish

I couldn't disagree more. Unless you consider mid twenties Chinook small. I run twin gammys and I run the rear hook about half an inch from the tail of the plug.

I thread the leader through all my plugs. If the leader breaks, the plug will pop up to the surface and can be retreived.

I agree but I like to give my plugs a chance without modifying them first. When I first get a new plug, I fish it with the pin. If I find it's not getting hits, then I pull the pin to see if that helps. It's funny how a little tweak can make a big change.

Not all T plug pins are the same.Some are solid metal on bottom hole and some are solid on the top hole.Be prepared to make a hole of your own to have the line pull from the top of plug.When buzz bomb bumper, swivel and hook snug up to plug, make shur the single hook doesn't foul up on the plug . I only have used a single barbless hook on a T plug ,never needed a 3x3 or a stinger hook trailing.

Souvenirs from my days riding shotgun on a commercial troller.

"Big Plugs, big hooks, run silent, run deep".

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

7 inch plugs below. Top two never fished. Bottom plug was a fish catching machine back in the dark ages when barbed hooks were legal for the sporties in WA. I retired it before it became lost to the fish gods.

ry%3D400

When I break out the 'riggers I usually run 5 and 6 inch plugs. IMHO most guys use hooks that are too small on their plugs. I "beak" the hook point and make 'em razor sharp.

Sign of a well tuned plug: Hook point leaves a trail on the plug:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

But I would rather mooch!

I should say, I'm no expert...By ANY means. But;

No flasher. Use a dummy flasher off your down rigger ball if you want a flasher but you don't want a flasher in front of your plugs. They have to swim.

If you're running one rod, then run it back however long you want. Some people go really really long. I tend to at least double the distance from the clip compared to when I'm fishing a flasher: So if I run 15-20ft with a flasher, I'll run 40+ feet with my plug. It gives it more freedom to swim around. If I'm running two rods with different offerings I'll shorten it up a little. I'll run the flasher gear at 15ft or so off the clip and the plug 30ft or so. And make sure you're not running the plug rigger deeper than your flasher rigger. Since the plug floats, you can get yourself into one beautiful mess after making a turn. Make sure you clear your plug line if your flasher gear gets hit too. You don't want a buoyant lure dangling behind your boat when you're hooked up.

Speed: I tend to troll the same speed as I do when I'm fishing flasher gear. But a lot of guys like to fish plugs fast! I probably go no less than 2.5-3 knots when I'm running plugs. I like to have a 45+ degree angle on my down rigger line for everything I use.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I ended up doing, tying a small length of 60lb braid between my swivel and hook. Thanks for including the vid

Back