Hourston no fibreglas on inner transom .

23Hourston

1973 23.5 hourston. I was surprised today to see that there’s no fibreglass matting or resin on the inner transom of my boat just comes up 6 inches back of the Bilge.
. Surprisingly above the floor it looks brand new. No rot no softness. Of Course under the floor could be a different story. Anyone else see such a thing in these

All the ones I have had or seen are the same. The rot will be below the floor and around the leg collar or anything screwed into the transom from the outside

Just a coat of gelcoat or paint, but no fiberglass

1973 23.5 hourston. I was surprised today to see that there’s no fibreglass matting or resin on the inner transom of my boat just comes up 6 inches back of the Bilge.
. Surprisingly above the floor it looks brand new. No rot no softness. Of Course under the floor could be a different story. Anyone else see such a thing in these

I agree with Casper, I have seen 3 manufactured in a similar fashion. I would not stop at the transom but continue to inspect floor and stringers... I would not be surprised at what you find and not in a good way, unfortunately.

Oh I fully suspect after 47 years there’s some issues under the floor that’s a given I was just surprised to see no fibreglass on the transom as all the videos I see on how to rebuild a transmission all have fibreglass on them..I guess I learned something today. Cheers

Oh I fully suspect after 47 years there’s some issues under the floor that’s a given I was just surprised to see no fibreglass on the transom as all the videos I see on how to rebuild a transmission all have fibreglass on them..I guess I learned something today. Cheers

Great hull design but not so great on the manufacturing QA/QC... Be sure to start a rebuild thread, :)

Last edited:
Back