Hourston 21' cuddy seating

MiddlepointBight

Hi all. Brainstorming on seating arrangement for a 21' Hourston cuddy (1993 hull). The bulkheads are in place, pics below - the helm side bulkhead measures ~20" x 18" and passenger side bulkhead measures ~17" x 42" (long axes running lengthwise down boat). My initial thoughts: some sort of a bucket swivel seat for helm, and then a back-to-back sleeper seat for other side. Boat will be fishing, prawning, cruising and camping.

This Hourston is an original custom pod, so there is an additional bench that runs the aft beam that can accommodate 2+ people.

I've seen some really creative and functional design ideas out there. Thanks in advance for the insights and suggestions.

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 131
  • secretcove.jpg
    secretcove.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 138
  • viewfromstern.jpg
    viewfromstern.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 21cuddy.jpg
    21cuddy.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 138
  • podstarboard.jpg
    podstarboard.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 134
I think you have a good setup already, a couple nice seats and shockwave bases would make it more comfortable but maybe too tall? If your fishing a cooler is always good I put a piece of ply across the cooler and seat for sleeping. Could ditch your board in the back and add a nice cooler with cushion in the center?

If I was to do it again I would do 2 helm chairs and 2 large coolers, keeping the seating forward helps you plane easier and balances these hulls out better I find and the cooler is seating for 1/2people. A couple folding camp chairs in the cuddy would work great if you want to sit in the sun out back on anchor?

Attachments

• 6417DDFC-42C6-4102-A1A6-22CC2193CD53.jpeg
    6417DDFC-42C6-4102-A1A6-22CC2193CD53.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 102
  • D9DF3BBE-1339-4728-86A9-79B7090C9247.jpeg
    D9DF3BBE-1339-4728-86A9-79B7090C9247.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I think you have a good setup already, a couple nice seats and shockwave bases would make it more comfortable but maybe too tall? If your fishing a cooler is always good I put a piece of ply across the cooler and seat for sleeping. Could ditch your board in the back and add a nice cooler with cushion in the center?

If I was to do it again I would do 2 helm chairs and 2 large coolers, keeping the seating forward helps you plane easier and balances these hulls out better I find and the cooler is seating for 1/2people. A couple folding camp chairs in the cuddy would work great if you want to sit in the sun out back on anchor?

Nice setup there! I don't this I have the headroom for shockwave bases (I'm 6'2), so will probably just bolt right to bulkhead in both cases.

That's a good idea with putting in a cooler and ditching the bench. The icebox is pretty tiny (hatch right before door to cuddy), and really only good for beers :D, so at it stands, there really isn't a fish cooler at all. Was considering getting a kill bag, but a padded cooler would solve two list items at once. Do you have your coolers fastened down?

there is aluminum angle screwed to the floor and holes drilled with black bungies to hold it down. I have seen that some cooler manufacturers have a “kit” with corner pieces and straps to hold in place but the angle seemed sturdier and has been coated with grey rhino lining same as the rest of the floor. Same as any seat base they will require some form of fastener/mount into the floor, be careful doing this as the floor and hull are quite close towards the gunnels on these boats use short screws and a good adhesive/sealant of your preference.

Was a good deal guy only wanted 16gs for it

Yep, that's her. Paid him every dime he asked for. Absolute mayhem out there for prices right now. Seeing listings for half the boat at same price or more.

She's rock solid though. Few things yet to solve - chasing leaks in the cuddy (nothing new there). Still blown away by the space in cuddy - I'm 6'2 and can fully stretch out. Ol' Billy got'r right.

Yep, that's her. Paid him every dime he asked for. Absolute mayhem out there for prices right now. Seeing listings for half the boat at same price or more.

She's rock solid though. Few things yet to solve - chasing leaks in the cuddy (nothing new there). Still blown away by the space in cuddy - I'm 6'2 and can fully stretch out. Ol' Billy got'r right.
You stole her HA. Dunno about that vintage but I had to replace rubrail bolts to slow the leakage down to a weep.

You stole her HA. Dunno about that vintage but I had to replace rubrail bolts to slow the leakage down to a weep.

Ha! If the boat wasn't on Saltspring, it would have been long gone before my sea trial for sure.

Chasing leaks, yep. Sounds about right. I'm pretty sure some of my rub rail bolts are weeping, and potentially some bolts holding down the railing. Hatch and one of the wipers too.

Did you just replace rub rail bolts and sealed with some sealant, or did you replace whole thing?

Just replaced bolts with some stainless and 5200. It’s not perfect, the 40yr old rubber between glass and aluminum is pretty much slapped out. But she only weeps if I’m offshore in less than desirable seas.

Back