Hootchie Rigging...

Degree of Freedom

This discussion came up on the Nanaimo thread, thought I'd start a new one. Probably been done already. I fish hootchies more than any other lure, and therefore catch more fish on them than anything else.
This is a good article written by Jack James, inventor of the Radiant Hootchie. He recommends 36" leader...I typically go with 40-42" for Octopus, shorter for mini's (down to 20-24" for sockeye and chum). Depends on your troll speed...slow troll requires short leader for same action as you'd get from a longer leader and faster troll speed.
http://www.tyeetackle.com/howtofishahootchie.htm

I usually go with what you do DOF. I always rig my hootchies with 50-60 # mono.

Last edited by a moderator:
I typically use 40 lb...might give the heavier stuff a shot. Unless i'm fishing offshore WCVI where the coho are thick, I use tandem single hooks. Coho typically give the crazy roll and if you use tandems one ends up in their gills more times than not. The way the coho fishing is off Nanaimo right now I'm going to have to switch up to a single hook here as well.

I rig all mine with a single siwash and swivel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally fish 42 inches for springs, Usually single snelled 5/0 siwash no swivel with a Mylar insert. Lately I am leaving out the mylar, using cuttlefish hoochy's
and using different LED's. Doin what I always do-if it ain't catchin I'm changing and experimenting. Nothing is static on Spring Fever except anchovy-well bait of some kind. You've gotta have bait down-how else do you know how well the hardware or plastics working!!LOL

I almost always have a cuttlefish hoochie out... 32-36" leader of 40-50# line. I like to mix up speeds....
Tandem 4/0's or a single of some variety if there's lots of action. If fishing is slow I might even shorten my leader as I think big springs don't mind a short leader at all, they prefer it :cool:

Like SpringFever I'm always experimenting though...

SpringFever......just wondering why you would snell a 5/0 Siwash instead of tying it with, say, a clinch knot.

The Siwash does not have on offset eye.......so no "straight pull" advantage....

SpringFever......just wondering why you would snell a 5/0 Siwash instead of tying it with, say, a clinch knot.

The Siwash does not have on offset eye.......so no "straight pull" advantage....

My bad!!!- octopus hooks with the off-set eye. Must have Siwash on the brain as I just changed out a pile of spoons.

Back