Hooks

Gypseas

Was just checking on some of my spoons and such ss hooks and found them not so ss. When given a side to side tug with the pliers they broke right away. Different types and manufacturers.

Nothing worse than to loose fish due to technical difficulties.

IMG_5761.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

IMG_5759.jpg

Those look like a salmon style hook which you usually have to pound close with a hammer,however they should never be opened and used again as they always break where they were bent to clse. I don't know if this is applicable to your info but it looked so similiar to ones I have tried to reuse after a spoon was toast.

Those look like a salmon style hook which you usually have to pound close with a hammer,however they should never be opened and used again as they always break where they were bent to clse. I don't know if this is applicable to your info but it looked so similiar to ones I have tried to reuse after a spoon was toast.

X2 on that...that look like Eagle Claw 211S hook

Those look like a salmon style hook which you usually have to pound close with a hammer,...

NOT
a good idea! Those hooks are designed to be closed with one smooth squeeze from a pair of pliers. Multiple pressurings with either pliers or such as would be inflicted by a hammer actually weaken the hook eye considerably, and you'll get breakage exactly as shown.

Looks to be a result of just that, or an inferior metal type. Go with Mustad Commercial Stainless - they won't let you down.

Cheers,
Nog

Back