Hook

T

tugboat

Hi all had about an 18 pounder on off Thrasher the other day while towing logs.Using a deep six and wonder bread coyote spoon.After a hell of a fight(it took off under the log tow)and the second time to the boat itwas ready for netting.She gave one last head hake and out pops the spoon.The el cheapo hook broke.So beware shipmates of cheap hooks...

The coyote spoons have a habbit of breaking, either the tip will break off or it will break right in the middle. The hooks aren't easy to change either.

took my sister out a few years ago off nanaimo, she hooks into a nice one about 20 pounds... the soldered ring on the front rips in half.

the split rings on the tail like to break too.

I was into a bunch of Coho one time off Duval Point-one after another in fact all on a Blue/Silver Coyote.
The next morning they started hitting it again-for a while
then I couldn't hook anything.
You guessed it-the soldered ring had broken right off.
Sure metal fatigue happens but this was only Coho Salmon after all.
Now I cut off all the stock rings and use quality split rings and Siwash hook-no more foolin' around!

Was fishing pinks off of Sooke and after a 4-5 fish had the hook on a Coyote Wonderbread spoon break at the crimped barb. Great spoon though, the Wonderbread is a producer for me.

Edited by - salmon9 on 07/09/2005 20:10:57

wonderbread is one of those lures you look at and think no way,but i also have had good luck with them.Its just that a fellas has to work for his fish and the bloody cheap gear breaks.I would gladly pay extra for a stronger lure.

This forum should be forwarded to Luhr Jensen. I have heard nothing but dissatisfaction regarding the quality of there coyote spoons. You would think that a company that has aquired the majority of the spoon fishing population in B.C. would make every effort to improve the quality of there product. There are alternatives. One that comes to mind is Titan spoons. I think they are addressing the obvious problem with dealing with large salmon and the fact that when you catch and land a large salmon the spoons are going to take a beating. I mean these aren't trout were fishing for out there. The lure should be able to maintain it's integrety to some degree. Coyotes obviously dont. I feel Luhr Jensen has to take a new approach to there salt water tackle, if they want to move forward on the west coast recreational saltwater fishery. I mean quit pawning of freshwater technology on saltwater conditions. Just my thoughts!

however we must remember there is a reason we are all complaining about those coyoties...

WE ALL USE THEM!

because they work so darn well in almost any application.

however I agree 100% they should provide a more heavy duty lure to deal with the tough conditions and fish of the saltwater salmon fishery.

Change over to a 5/0 circle hook on a stainless split ring.

First off, the fish can't throw a hook no matter how hard it jumps.

Second off, the stainless circle hooks or vanadium circle hooks are very strong.

third, if you want to change a hook, the stainless split ring is easy to deal with even in rough water if you have a set of pliers with the split ring spreader on the tip.

Drewski

Hi all ,I took a course on spoons this winter the guide i took it from uses only coyote spoons. Problem is i still can,t catch a damn fish on one.He uses a flasher with his.Do you guys use flashers,or just the spoon.How long of leaders do you prefer.any info would be great i got beat up by doggies a few days ago.Mr. dean marked a lot a fish by twassen.Lots of bait balls.

thanks the runt

For spoons with a flasher I use:

- chinooks approx same leader length as I do with bait - 72 inches
- coho, pinks and sockeye approx 38 - 48 inches

Edited by - salmon9 on 07/12/2005 19:07:18

When there are not a million fish around, a flasher surely increases the catchability of a spoon. The leader lenghts outlined by Salmon9 will do the job although you can always go shorter for socks 27" - 32".

Hi, new member here, I know this is an old topic, but I've just seen it for the 1st time -wondering if the coyote spoon i just purchased has been improved. It seems to have a heavy duty split ring attached to the hook, but not sure if welded ring in front has been changed,please advise if you know of changes by luhr jenson, bob rao, e-mail to bandrproductions @yahoo .com

Look on the back of the package and find out where it is made the one made in USA are fine but the ones made in CHINA are not. For the ones made overseas I suggest you replace everything, you don't want to loose a fish of a lifetime to equipment failure.
P.S. I replace the hooks on all the spoons regardless of where they are made.
Steve41

thanks for timely reply, I tried to find a phone number for luhr jensen but only found a website that not only didn't have contact phone number but had no way to let them know of disatisfaction with spoons.I can't believe this company has bought out a company like Les Davis only to sell shoddy hardware to anglers and then brag about their history in providing "quality" fishing products.My wife and I are going up to Neah Bay friday to fish saturday, we will be fishing inside ( from neah bay west aprox.3 to 5 miles) as we are limited to a 17 ft. kicker boat we rent from big salmon resort and try to be conservative with the ocean up there (and everywhere else!)We usually will troll deep 6's with dodger and hootchies or mooch herring if we can find any decent herring this year. Herring available last year really were not in good condition, maybe will jig up some anchovies, but they are usually softer than good herring. We just got some apex lures( black pearl finish) to troll behind flashers also got some litle wolf spoons by mepps in 3/4 oz. size , will let you know how it goes thanks again,bob rao

had a hook dissapear completely the other day whena fish was taking a run. It was one made in usa, but still thats just garbage.
mustad makes good hook to replace them with

I replace all the hooks on the coyotes I buy. The ones latey that I have replaced have broken with only the slightest pressure to pry them open, pure **** if you ask me. The spoons work the hooks SUCK.

If they lasted forever would would only buy about 3 each...

Back