Hook Swaping Again.. Lurh jensen...get it together!

jeffywestcoast

Been swapping hooks again on a couple new spoons i picked up.. Getting sick of swapping Luhr Jensen hooks out, i will only buy coyote spoons now if i cant find the same pattern fist in Silver horde or Titan spoons.. on that note i am grateful for all the tips n tricks shown to me from some of you fishing pros. one other question i have for you is this.. Do you think a 4/0 open eye siwash hook is too big for a 3.5" spoon?? Again picture below shows stock hooks on the left, replaced hooks on the right.IMG_2337[1].jpg

Easy enough to determine the proper hook size for standard spoons. The hook should just match the outside width of the spoon itself such as:

Hook_Size.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

I think that hook size is a factor on the action of most spoons...

The cheap hooks that come with many spoons are awful......some you can straighten them out between your fingers they are so weak...

On the other hand......hooks that will hold big salmon range all the way from grappling hooks on some commie big spoons to smallish trebles used on bait and strip to quite small 2/0 salmon hooks used on some needlefish hoochies to really tiny trebles and singles used on river-flies (and I mean small) and they still bring big fish in.

I would run a 4/0 Mustad Siwash on a 3.5" spoon.....(The type of hook pictured far far right on the Cop car)

But the same in stainless could be a bit heavy......

Thanks again guys.. gotta get back out there as it is easy to see that Nanaimo is heating up!,Seafever the copcar on the far right is a 5" with a 5/0, all the rest pictured here are 4/0.. Not sure the name of the two spoons between the yellowtail n the green&white..But it seems all my fish this year are coming off spoons from HC's 3/10 bin! N that ones on fire!

Those are called Glow/Green Tigers.....I've used those off F.C. in times past with good results......

Jeffy
If anything, I was thinking the hooks looked a little small certainly not too big. I f you look at Nog's rule of thumb your hooks look about right or a little on the small side. My 2 cents and you know what 2 cents are worth now a days :)

Thanks MRWood, i think i have it dialed in now..those hooks lined up just like IronNoggin said! ..Hell that glowTiger even took me home a nice little spring yesterday :cool:

Back