Hook Sharpener Idea

Slabby20

I found this on another web site about how to make an easy, effective hook sharpener.

"two round "chain saw" files taped together at the top and bottom are all we use on commercial boats. A few swipes down the groove in the middle is all it takes, cheap and easy"

They are conveniently sold in pairs. (pair was $5) I bought the 4mm ones and taped them together and was ready to go. They work AWESOME and due to their length a couple swipes and you are "sticky" sharp.

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

Yup I've used that idea for years it's the best/cheapest idea for larger hooks.

JB Weld top and bottom does the best job but if you're using it aboard a boat the files rust out quickly so why bother just buy new ones.

Sometimes I'll file the leading edge flat to make a Shark's tooth, even more dangerous. ;)

Note-for picky boaters who love their Gel Coat Do Not use this thing aboard the boat, you'll end up with metal filings that make rust spots, tiny plentiful rust spots.

You can buy a product to take the spots out and it's somewhat effective but in the end you'll be left with some overly clean spots and some permanent rust spots.

billreidsalmon.jpg

Good Idea! Methinks I'll have on in action shortly now!

We treat all of our files on the troller with a product "Fluid Film". While it doesn't completely eliminate rust in the salt air, they last a LOT</u> longer than when they're not treated. Likely work well in this application as well. Gonna give it a go, letcha know how it pans out...

Cheers,
Nog

Good Idea! Methinks I'll have on in action shortly now!

We treat all of our files on the troller with a product "Fluid Film". While it doesn't completely eliminate rust in the salt air, they last a LOT</u> longer than when they're not treated. Likely work well in this application as well. Gonna give it a go, letcha know how it pans out...

Cheers,
Nog

Back