Honda Power? Any good?

jeffb

I have zero knowledge of honda outboards. I am currently looking at a vessle with honda 150's, low hours. After a brief scan of the internet I see that there seems to be a bit of concern regarding getting hondas serviced. Is it just a service center issue? or maintenence?
Does anyone run a honda? Can anyone tell me pro's con's?
The boat im looking at is a 224 grady with twin 150's. Are twins on that boat even a good Idea? I love the security of having twins out on the water but will I have issues getting on plane etc?

any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

I have run a Honda for 7 years now, (albeit only a 50 HP)
and it's been very good and reliable. I do my own general maintenance
although there are dealers in Victoria and Vancouver.
The only complaint i have is they seem to have external corrosion issues.
That could be related to the age of the motor which is a 1999 model
and the fact that it is run in salt water exclusively.

I had an interesting conversation recently with a former Honda mechanic who is now working for his own shop. He told me to stay away from any newer Hondas outboards. He said they took so many shortcuts in the design, cheap materials and cheap components and he was basically only changing the same things out day in day out for the Honda dealers that he got frustrated enough to leave. He swears by the older (I think he said pre 2005) models but suggested to stay away from newer models. Now, I cannot comment on this opinion as all I have from Honda is a 2003 8hp kicker which I am happy with. But maybe something to dig into a bit more before you buy an expensive outboard.

Well I heard from another mechanic.........................haha. Just sayin'.

Every mechanic will bash some other outboard regardless of brand.

I run Honda's and they have been great motors. I run a 225 and a 9.9. The only problem I have heard about is the price. I have zero external corrosion problems on both of my engines.

Twins would be nice. Have them checked out before you buy. Great motors IMO.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
I run Yamaha's and think there great. What I have heard from Honda owners, very reliable, heavier than other brands and plugs need to be removed and replaced as there could be some corrsion issues that could freeze the plugs in place. If I was buying used I would definitly be Ok with Hondas and twin 150's should be plenty of power.

Bret

Dad's got a Honda 90. Probably a 2004 (?). Quiet, good on gas and decent power. Two things I can fault is it's size and price. A damn big motor for a 90 and seems quite heavy. It is on a Malibu Tyee which some say rides stern-low so perhaps some of that impression is the boat itself. No problems with maintenance or breakdowns with lots of hours logged. Don't try to run it on muffs though!

I had a 2003 BF115 and HT8.

My negative comments are: heavy, inconsistent materials - some bolts turned to rust balls while others were fine, parts are expensive (my starter died in Bamfield and the Honda starters are not the same as everyone else so had to get to PA and tow the boat back, took two weeks to get one in), only place you can have warranty work done is the Honda dealer and there are not very many around.

My positive comments: quiet, fuel efficient

That said, would I buy another one...nope.

I love my honda HT8 as well. But I had a tille rmodel and wanted to convert to remote throttle and remote steering. The conversion to remote throttle was over $250 in parts and that did not include the cables or console. Almost no representation, almost no service dealer, parts are available through their motorcycle division. very expensive. Would I buy Honda for main power? I doubt it.

Good point Finaddict. Honda's move to eliminate small dealers and sell everything from cars to generators out of their "Powerhouse" dealerships is nothing I'm a fan of and cannot possibly result in better service, or even as good as it was. As much as I like dad's motor I'd buy an ETEC due to the lighter weight, better power, similar efficiency, small local dealers (good or bad), price, more service locations.... I still like Honda and have owned motorcycles, quads, cars, generators, water pumps, lawn mowers and still think of them a better quality, just not as good of value any more.

I have had 3 different boats with the carbed Honda 90 on them, they are heavy, but seem pretty near bullet proof. Like others have said, parts are expensive, and dealer network is thin.

From what I have been told, the 2.4 engine that is in the BF150 is pretty much identical to what powers all 4 cyl Accords, Crv's and Element's for the last 8 years or so.

My current boat is powered by a Yamaha 90.

currently run a 225 honda and 9.9. like stated above there main fault is weight. as for service any good shop will be able to do all the service and order any parts as there are many after market suppliers aswell they would be able to order honda originals if required. so i wouldn't worry about parts and service (boats.net is an excellent source). twin 150's on a 22-23 fter is tons of power. just remember twins means twice the service bill. as with most things maintenance is key to long life regardless of bran.i would strongly recommend getting a shop to give them the once over prior to purchase. checking engine oil for water and gas, gearoil for water fuel filters for water ect....

high weight for same horsepower, high priced parts relative to competition and less aftermarket compatible parts for general maintenance. great reliable engines otherwise

high weight for same horsepower, high priced parts relative to competition and less aftermarket compatible parts for general maintenance. great reliable engines otherwise

I have to disagree,

225 Honda 589 lbs dry weight virtually the same
225 Yamaha 583 lbs dry weight

50 hp Honda 214 lbs dry weight about 15 % lighter
50 hp Yamaha 248 lbs dry weight

I have a 1999 Honda 130 and it purrs like a kitten. Great motor, but a bit heavy for its size and the parts are expensive and many times preprietary
I had a 1990 Honda 9.9 and liked it, ran well.

Can't say anything about the brand new ones. If I were to replace my engines I would probably go with Yamaha though, cheaper parts, lighter weight, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran Yamaha for years (F150 and T8) then switched to Honda (BF150 + 9.9 kicker) last summer

It took me awhile to warm up to Honda but now with 100 hours under my belt (and a change-out of T-stats and impeller and the learning curve that accompanies self-reliance on basic outboard maintenance) I'm now way more comfortable with the Honda brand hanging off my stern.

Combover's comments about Boats.net is right on---Boats.net is a fantastic resource for reasonably priced parts. My experience with pricing and parts for the Yamaha F150 and the Honda BF150----6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Any one considering to buy a Honda or anyone who currently owns one and wants to learn more about maintenance and Honda "issues":

Check out this website!!

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/forumdisplay.php?21-Honda-Outboard-Forum&order=desc

There are three or four really savvy guys who post there, basically spilling their guts out on the proper care and maintenance of Honda outboards---I've saved a lot of money and countless hours of frustration talking to these guys. They are a fantastic resource!

Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Mercury/Bombardier? I think if you freeze dry the arguments about which brand is better or which brand lasts longer or which brand is cheaper to maintain, it's really a coke vs. pepsi thing--- what you're used to drinking, not necessarily which one is better. Just my two pesos worth....

Back