Honda 9.9 RPM drop when Running Scotty---Normal?????

Hey JDR: thanks for your comments.

Although Honda's kickers kick out high amps for recharging batteries, I looked at the Honda website for the 9.9:

The BF9.9 provides 2 Amps at 1000 RPM and an amazing 12 amps at 3000 RPM. This helps to maintain the battery charge or keep electronics going - even at trolling speeds.

UNQUOTE

So your statement was completely accurate and it helps me understand why I hear the RPM loss at 1,000 RPM's when hauling in the downrigger but do not hear it at 2,000 + RPM's. Perhaps the Yamaha kickers have alternators that have a higher amp rating at lower RPM's?

I pose that question because I never heard a drop in RPM's when hauling in an electric downrigger with the same Hp Yamaha.

Its amazing all the really lousy advice a person gets on a public forum. You could spend hundreds or thousands of dollars chasing your tail. But, how do you weed out the bad advice from good advice? THeres really no way of knowing peoples credibility. Like I said earlier- theres no problem here, it all makes sense to me. I am mechanic and have been around this stuff alot. Ive also heard other people with obvious mechanical experience give similar advice. I never give advice unless Im sure, I wish everyone else would do the same.

Back