Homemade Spoonfly - you also can do it

Hello BC friends

In this short video, I will try to explain how to do my Attila Slim spoonfly from a stainless steel knife.

Some years ago, I began to use knives to do some of my spoonflies. Since then, I have tried different options using one-piece stainless steel knives looking for the right one. My last try was done last December, when I did my first Attila Slim.

Instead to my other tries, the Attila Slim is a simple one but it is totally effective during the action time. I have caught many many Corvinas (like a weakfish) using it. Of course, I had to change the Fly-Tail and the hologram tape due to lots of bites received by the spoonfly.

Well, I invite you to look my video and I hope you like it. Please give me your comments and recommendations, all are welcome.

Thanks for watching, and thanks to my Nephews for their music.
Here is the link to my video:
[SEdhZY6e90c] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEdhZY6e90c

Very interesting. Do you have any video of how it moves in the water? Are you able to apply any bend or curve to the knife handle?

Hello Donnie
Thank you for your comments and question...
I used to bend my initial spoonflies trying to do something similar to the typical spoons, but with the Attila Slim I rather to keep it straight. But please notice a big change I made. When I drill the two holes, they are eccentric. I did in that way to have the gravity center axle below to the imaginary line done by the two holes. Having in this way, it produces the Attila Slim to swing when you are retrieving. In addition, the Fly tail began to dance in the water. Both working together, are very attractive for fish. I will take some shots of the Attila moving in the water and you will see.

Very interesting. Do you have any video of how it moves in the water? Are you able to apply any bend or curve to the knife handle?

Hello Nicnat....

Thanks again for your comments !!!

At the beginning, I though that in addition to the fun of doing my own spoons, I will have the chance to save some money... In reality, the first goal was completely accomplished (I got lots of fun), but the second one never was reached... It is cheaper to go to Bassproshop and buy a 2oz Krocodile Spoon at US$7-9 than doing an Attila Slim... Each stainless steel knife costs me US$11, the I have to add the special cobalt bits needed, plus my time, etc. etc ...The Attila Slim results into an expensive lure. But the pleasure and fun of making them, plus the big prize of catching good fish with it, has no price to me.... I am very happy making them and fishing with it... :)

nice job Antonio. looks like a great way to make some cheap custom jigs

cool video! I'm going to try this when I get a chance. can't see why it wouldn't work great!
thxs for sharing Antonio!

Why waste the blade part. Grind off the knife edge, shape a little, a coupe of bends (you would need to experiment) and you may have a high quality stainless trolling spoon. Has that narrow profile that is currently in vogue up here and may well catch salmon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Rockfish...

Good tip, actually I kept all the blades that I cut thinking that someday I will find some usage for them ... I will try doing some trolling spoons. Unfortunately, here we do not have salmon but there are other species that I can look for to catch... I am thinking in the Cabrilla (some kind of Grouper) I caught them when I go for trolling to an island next to my beach house... and they may chase these trolling spoons.. Thank you.

I will let you know when I do some trolling spoons with the blades, have a safe fishing, Antonio

Why waste the blade part. Grind off the knife edge, shape a little, a coupe of bends (you would need to experiment) and you may have a high quality stainless trolling spoon. Has that narrow profile that is currently in vogue up here and may well catch salmon.

Back