Hockey Player fight for River he loves

Derby

Crew Member
Provincial Steelhead Management Plan ? = > "Death by a Thousand Cuts" !

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...fights-for-the-river-he-loves/article2283335/

Willie Mitchell of the Vancouver Canucks talks
with the media in the team dressing room in
Vancouver on May 13, 2010.
Jeff Vinnick/The Globe and Mail

Mark Hume
A high-profile hockey player fights for the river he loves
MARK HUME | Columnist profile | E-mail
VANCOUVER— From Monday's Globe and Mail
Published Sunday, Dec. 25, 2011 6:34PM EST
Last updated Sunday, Dec. 25, 2011 6:43PM EST
Willie Mitchell, a rugged defenceman for the Los Angeles Kings and a former Vancouver Canuck, is dropping his gloves to fight for a river he has loved since he was a boy.

“The Kokish is close to my heart,” he said of the river on northern Vancouver Island where a proposed independent power project would divert a substantial amount of the water into a pipe to generate hydroelectricity.

“I learned to steelhead fish on that river as a boy. … I call it my little therapy place. I missed time with a concussion when I was with the Canucks. Where did I go to heal? I walked up and down that river every day,” said Mr. Mitchell, who grew up in Port McNeill, just a few kilometres from the Kokish.

The provincial government has embraced the project, with ministers saying the $200-million project will create jobs and produce green power.

But Premier Christy Clark, a self-styled hockey mom, may want to think twice about endorsing the project now that Mr. Mitchell has joined groups calling for the river to be saved.

Mr. Mitchell has a high profile in British Columbia, where he played junior hockey.

He joined the Canucks in 2006 and was twice named the team’s top defenceman before being traded in 2010 to the L.A. Kings, while recovering from a concussion.

“I have travelled the world because of hockey and I can tell you I don’t see many places like that,” he said of the Kokish.

“That river is a gem. … I am not against IPPs, but this is not the right place for a power project,” he said.

Mr. Mitchell felt compelled to speak out when he learned this week that the B.C. environmental assessment office has granted an environmental assessment certificate to the project proposed by Brookfield Renewable Power Inc. and the Namgis First Nation.

“I was shocked it got approved,” he said.

“Do I think we need clean power? Yes. Do I think this is the right place for it? No,” said Mr. Mitchell, who loves fishing in B.C.’s wild rivers.

Mr. Mitchell said there are lots of watersheds on Vancouver Island where hydro projects could be developed without damaging fish habitat.

“Let’s use up all those resources before we tap great ones like the Kokish,” he said.

“I am just talking common sense here.”

The Kokish project would significantly dewater the lower nine kilometres of the river, where it plunges down rapids to the ocean.

Mr. Mitchell said that fast falling water is what makes the steelhead in the Kokish so spectacular.

“We call it ‘the jungle’ because it’s so steep in there and it is choked with old-growth forest,” he said.

“The river is perfect for power generation, so I can see why Brookfield wants to be in there. But it’s perfect for steelhead too.”

In granting an environmental certificate, the B.C. government declared the project would have no significant impact on fish.

Conservationists disagree, and opposition to the project is mounting.

“This project is so bad that many people didn’t think it would go ahead,” Gwen Barlee of the Wilderness Committee said in an e-mail.

“What it shows is that no salmon-bearing stream is safe from IPPs.”

Aaron Hill, an ecologist with the Watershed Watch Salmon Society, says the project will clearly destroy fish habitat.

“Fish need water, and this project is authorized to divert between 52-85 per cent of the Kokish River,” he said in an e-mail.

“It’s a big experiment.”

Dennis Abbott, director of communications for Brookfield, said his company is encouraged by the environmental certificate from the province and is working with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to come up with a water-management plan that will ensure the project doesn’t harm fish.

But a letter to Brookfield from Greg Savard of DFO’s ecosystem management branch suggests the fears expressed by critics are well-founded.

The letter says the project poses “significant risks to fish and fish habitat,” during low summer flows, when migration could be stalled, causing “mortality or reduced spawning success.”

DFO must approve the project before it can go ahead.

It will be interesting to see if DFO, the federal department charged with protecting salmon, will fight as hard for the fish as Mr. Mitchell is.

© Copyright 2011 The Globe and Mail Inc. All Rights Reserved.

444 Front St. W., Toronto, ON Canada M5V 2S9
Phillip Crawley, Publisher

I somehow have a feeling that DFO will not fight as hard as Mr. Mitchell is.... to answer the last ? in the article.

I somehow have a feeling that DFO will not fight as hard as Mr. Mitchell is.... to answer the last ? in the article.

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic...117dc9ba25f36e96004f84d9407bc22256509ee64.pdf

Actually, contrary to popular belief there are many 'good guys' working for the Department. DFO (locallly) has consistantly turned down this project and has requested a revision. It seems there is a lot of pressure from Ottawa and the First Nations to push it through. The Steelhead Society is resisting hard. Derby -- is BCFDF on top of this?

http://www.kokishriver.com/

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic...2f156403c2373637247fd52295aed3283aac27cb6.pdf

There is a VERY scary precedent being set here. Its frightening to think what we are in for if they start allowing IPPs on anadromous rivers.

My comment regarding DFO was a more general one regarding the decision making higher ups (for the most part) and not necessarily DFO as a whole. I know next to nothing about that particular project but based on countless examples of DFO decisions in past years I think I'm standing on safe ground to be a tad skeptical of them as it pertains to protecting our wild fish and habitats. Most of the front line DFO employees I have met seem like decent people, although I could probably say that about some organizations that I despise on principle (cigarettes, oil & gas, and company dick cheney is affilated with ;), etc. We need people within DFO to continue to help do what's right but it seems like there is often a lot of pressure from above to silence them. just my 2 cents.

p.s. Jughead, thanks for posting all those links. Very useful info for those of us wanting to learn more about these issues.

So they (Brookfield) have clearly stated what this project will mean for this river.
Just another case of money trumping everything we hold dear to our hearts.
And to boot they will get the money from the taxpayers to do it.
Sad state of affairs when we are the ones to pay for our own destruction in the chase for the almighty buck.
GLG

● The Project will result in the harmful alteration, disruption or destruction of fish and/or fish
habitat (HADD) on the Kokish River due to footprint and potential flow-related impacts, and
will require an authorization under Section 35(2) of the Fisheries Act from Fisheries and
Oceans Canada (DFO);
● The Project may also result in footprint-related HADDs due to penstock construction,
including removal of riparian vegetation and installation of stream crossings (e.g., culverts,
suspended pipeline bridges) on 11 unnamed tributaries on the east side of the Kokish River.
These may also require an authorization under Section 35(2) of the Fisheries Act from DFO;
● Kwagis Power may seek federal funding through the Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
(INAC) EcoEnergy (Clean Energy Initiative, Large Energy Projects) program;
● Project construction may affect a section of railway line owned by Western Forest Products
Ltd., requiring potential approval under the Railway Safety Act from the Canadian
Transportation Agency; and
● Project construction will involve the use and storage of explosives, and may require a license
for the construction and maintenance of an explosives magazine and permits for vehicles to
be used for the transportation of explosives from Natural Resources Canada under Section
7(1) of the Explosives Act (see completed Natural Resources Canada Explosives Use
Questionnaire – Appendix B).

Here's the latest:
http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic...397708fbe438ea23b6621e533a648d852bc80286a.pdf

INFORMATION BULLETIN
2011ENV0072-001609 Dec. 13, 2011
Ministry of Environment Ministry of Energy and Mines
Kokish River Hydroelectric Project approved
VICTORIA – Kwagis Power Limited Partnership has received an environmental assessment certificate for the proposed Kokish River Hydroelectric Project. Kwagis Power Limited Partnership consists of Brookfield Renewable Power Inc. and ‘Namgis First Nation.
Environment Minister Terry Lake and Energy and Mines Minister Rich Coleman made the decision to grant the environmental assessment certificate after considering the review led by B.C.’s Environmental Assessment Office.
The proposed $200-million project will be located on the Kokish River, 15 km east of Port McNeill on Vancouver Island. Once completed, the project will produce up to 45 megawatts of electricity and will involve the diversion of water into a nine kilometre-long penstock pipe constructed under and beside existing roads to a powerhouse downstream of the Telegraph Cove Road bridge.
A 500-metre transmission line will deliver power from the project to the BC Hydro grid. Kwagis Power has an Electricity Purchase Agreement with BC Hydro to deliver power to the BC Hydro grid by April 2014.
The Environmental Assessment Office assessment report concluded the project is not expected to result in any significant adverse effects, based on the mitigation measures and commitments included as conditions of the environmental assessment certificate.
The provincial environmental assessment certificate contains design features, mitigation measures and 77 commitments that form legally-binding requirements that Kwagis Power must adhere to throughout various stages of the project. Key requirements include:
Project construction oversight by an independent environmental monitor. Ensuring project in-stream works and infrastructure do not obstruct fish migration upstream and downstream. Maintaining sufficient river flows for all life stages of key fish species as determined by the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Preparing and implementing a habitat compensation plan acceptable to Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Effectiveness and response monitoring during project operations.
Facilitating kayaking opportunities during project construction and operations. Consulting recreation organizations during Project construction, operation and decommissioning to ensure continued angling and other recreational access to the Kokish River. Annual compliance reporting during construction and throughout the life of the project.
The project also triggered a federal environmental assessment as a screening under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act. A co-operative environmental assessment was completed pursuant to the Canada/British Columbia Agreement for Environmental Assessment, and a joint provincial-federal assessment/screening report was prepared.
Local and provincial taxes generated over the 40-year lifespan of the project will be approximately $84 million including property taxes ($48 million) and land and water rents ($36 million). The two-year project construction period is expected to generate 150 person years of full-time direct employment, and the operational phase of the project is expected to create 120 person years of full-time direct employment over the estimated 40 year life of the project.
The Environmental Assessment Office consulted the ‘Namgis (proponent partner) and Tlowitsis First Nations regarding project effects on their interests. The ‘Namgis First Nation participated on the Environmental Assessment Office’s Working Group to assess potential Project effects separate from their business interests. The Tlowitsis First Nation indicated an interest in the proposed project, but did not participate in the review of the proponent’s application. The Province is satisfied that the Crown’s duties to consult and accommodate First Nations interests have been discharged as they related to the decision to grant the environmental assessment certificate.
Before the project can proceed, Kwagis Power must still obtain the necessary provincial authorizations, as well as regulatory approval from federal responsible authorities.
More information on the environmental assessment certificate can be found at:
www.eao.gov.bc.ca.
Media Relations
Ministry of Environment
250 387-9745

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic...117dc9ba25f36e96004f84d9407bc22256509ee64.pdf

Actually, contrary to popular belief there are many 'good guys' working for the Department. DFO (locallly) has consistantly turned down this project and has requested a revision. It seems there is a lot of pressure from Ottawa and the First Nations to push it through. The Steelhead Society is resisting hard. Derby -- is BCFDF on top of this?

http://www.kokishriver.com/

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic...2f156403c2373637247fd52295aed3283aac27cb6.pdf

There is a VERY scary precedent being set here. Its frightening to think what we are in for if they start allowing IPPs on anadromous rivers.

Very good question Jughead...will get back to you shortly

Back