Hippa Island/west coast resorts

ericl

Howdy. Anybody have experience with Hippa Island or west coast resorts? 2nd hand knowledge is ok

Thanks, Eric

Been to Hippa twice when fishing is good it's fabulous.

The weather though can be terrifying if you see a dark line on the horizon to the west run for your life!

Been with WCR a number of times but never @ Hippa it all depends who they have running the place some managers are much better organised/have better people skills than others just like any business.

Fished the area with West coast fishing club and like Dogbreath said the fishing can be amazing but the weather is a major factor. We went in June and it was wet, windy, cold, calm, hot, rough, Sunny and everything in between. The fish were everywhere - lots in the 15-25 lb range. And by lots I mean 20-30 fish days. If you go bring some light tackle as its a blast to experience.

Last edited:
Hippa can have arguably the best salmon fishing in the world (freeman) but like others have said you need to be prepared for the wide open west coast of the Charlottes. If weather is a factor for you then you might consider elsewhere.

Good chance your guide will be a young gun working a summer job which is also a wildcard in terms of what type of service you'll get.

Been up to Hippa several times in the past 10 yrs and echo most of what has been said so far. Weather can be an issue so if you are prone to sea sickness it might not be the best option. That said, weather is a factor for a lot of other west coast lodges so it's not like it is unique to the issue.

Guides, managers, etc have changed in recent years and I know a few guides up there who are good guys but don't know about any other recent staff changes and whether they were positive or neg. I've always had a good time up there and the fishing is, in my opinion, the best on the entire coast.... especially when it's calm :) If you get a good day of fishing combined with weather you can very easily tub out on spring, coho's, hali, lingcod, etc, etc in a single day. I typiccally like to salmon fish most of the time and keep the bleeders and there have been several days where we 'had' to wait well over 50 springs to get a bleeder or 2 to bonk. And these fish we were releasing were avg 22-24 lbs so no pinners. It really is the best salmon fishing around IMO and if you are newish to fishing and want to get practice fighting and releasing springs I couldn't think of a better place.

I'll be up again this Summer and looking forward to it!

I ran Charlotte Queen Adventures which is the first Lodge that was at Hippa before WCR came in from Tasu. As others have said, Hippa is without a doubt the best fishing in BC, but also as others have said, weather can be challenging. We never lost more that 1-2 days to weather in any one season but be prepared to put up with some waves and swell. On a flat calm day at Freeman Rock two of our self guided guests caught and released over 50 springs , I know it sounds like a BS story but I was right beside them alone in the fishmaster boat and caught and released 26 springs by myself in an afternoon. It can be THAT good there. As Dogbreath said , management is the key to a great trip at any Lodge , if you would like any more insight into Charlotte Queen Adventures feel free to PM me . I can give you a fishing report from there after June 14th as I am heading up there on the 7th for a derby.

I have been to Hippa a few times. Once with the halibut commission on a tagging program back in the 90's on the Charlotte Explorer (the old Phaedra) which I believe was the first lodge up there, run by Sewells, they were there for a few years in the early 90's I belioeve it was. sure don't recall seeing Charlotte Queen adventures up there at that time. I concur with the others also on the fishing there. no better place to go if you want salmon and bottom fish. I had some of my best days fishing ever at Hippa and hope to get back there maybe this year. that tagging trip was one hali after another it was unbelievable but not something i'd want to do again, lol, talk about back breaking work.

WOW - thanks guys. What is a good time for LARGE fish? Also, how much of a damper does the June 21 area F troll opening put on chinook numbers?

Been running my own boat off WCVI since 1986 - but I am now 65 yo & wear a patch since I am only out a few days a year. About the worst i have fished was fishing Tuna on a FAD bouy north of Molokai - i couldn't even stand-up without bracing. Caught a 25lb Dorado - the fight lasted about 5 seconds; a large swell over the stern thru the fish right in the boat after it banked off my face though.

Yeah nicnat, Halibut are work but my Wife's favorite fish so gotta get one. Back in the day on the banks off Ucluelet we'd catch them trolling 100ft off the bottom.

nicnat, you are correct the Charlotte Explorer was there in the 90"s for a 2-3 years till a tragic accident shut them down. CQA is owned by one of the guests of the Charlotte Explorer who wanted to keep fishing at Hippa.

I guided at the outpost for 4 years which is about 8 miles north of HIppa. We fished Hippa and Freeman lots. A typical day out there is 15-30 Chinook in the 15-25# range. a really good day and you can be into 50-75+ chinook. As for BIG fish there are small spurts through the season where you can find some decent fish. 30-35# fish are the usual suspects but there are some fish caught int he 40-50# range each year. I used to average 2-3 fish in the low 40's per summer. If your dream is to HOG hunt then this is not the place for you, if you want to catch lots of nice fish its the best place I have ever fished.

The water can be brutal on the west side, totally gross. Avoid July, worst weather (NW winds) and okish fishing....June and August are better.

The are has THE BEST halibut fishing on the entire BC coast. 100# fish are common, 200# fish happen weekly, 300#+ fish happen a couple times a summer

fish big tomic plugs down deep, watch your sounder for pinnacles and bait....

Take a look at the outpost as they have better bigger boats and some pretty good guides, its a small operation only 14 guests.

cheers,

Mike

Hey Mike thanks. Thanks for the right-on info. I was actually pointed at this place by your ex-company as I am by myself & they didn't have any last minute openings for a single. I am currently hooked-up with another single for June 29 for a 5 day. I kinda think Chris (the guy at westcoastfishingclub) knew I'm not a rich guy, & can do my own thing so pointed me to westcoastresort at Hippa.

I am kinda hog hunting but also like a multi-species experience like Ucluelet/Tofino was years ago.

If it's bottomfish you're after the colour to use is Glo White I have never seen a place where fish were crazier for anything that glowed.

Lower it down/jig it up no more than 2 feet and Hang On!

Back