High unavailability of boat gear

P

pcaker

I have been trying to outfit a newly acquired used 18' aluminum boat. I am dismayed at the number of advertised products I enquire about only to be told they are "unavailable". Is this usual? I have not encountered this in any other product field - usually, if something is advertised, 19 times out of 20 it is available, but not with boating gear. Any insights?

In a normal year it would not be a issue. Due to Covid supply chains everywhere are disrupted, and are likely to stay that way for the next 12 to 24 months.

In a normal year it would not be a issue. Due to Covid supply chains everywhere are disrupted, and are likely to stay that way for the next 12 to 24 months.
Yes, I understand that, but I find that boat accessories availability is so much worse than other product fields. With about 20 million boats in N.America, it seems to be a reasonable sized market.

Yes, I understand that, but I find that boat accessories availability is so much worse than other product fields. With about 20 million boats in N.America, it seems to be a reasonable sized market.
My son has a bicycle shop. He can't get many types of bikes, or bikes in certain sizes, popular tubes,and components. Regular bread and butter stuff for him. It's hard to keep your customers happy when they can't get things that should be on the rack. One bike supplier has told him "we will ship you these bikes in 2022, you can cancel any thing you don't want, but you can't change it for another model" No say in volume size range or model, just take it or leave it.
So yeah, I believe it when they say they can't get it when I see what my kid is going through.

Getting doors and windows is a mess this year. 12-14 week lead time from most suppliers and getting worse rather than better. I think it applies across almost any form of mass manufacturing - capacity is down because of separation measures in the plant. Demand hasn't gone down much, and in many industries it has gone up. Full order books and restricted output means longer and longer span between order and delivery. Fishing/boating products are part of this overall trend.

Supply of most things are a mess and will be a mess for at least the next 12 months. It will get worse. factories behind because they are short of parts or materials. Container imbalance throughout the world, etc.

My son has a bicycle shop. He can't get many types of bikes, or bikes in certain sizes, popular tubes,and components. Regular bread and butter stuff for him. It's hard to keep your customers happy when they can't get things that should be on the rack. One bike supplier has told him "we will ship you these bikes in 2022, you can cancel any thing you don't want, but you can't change it for another model" No say in volume size range or model, just take it or leave it.
So yeah, I believe it when they say they can't get it when I see what my kid is going through.
yes, I have heard that bike parts supply is exceptionally bad, compounded by extra demand for bikes since Covid

One of our local and long time Honda, Crestliner, RV sales, Utility trailer and major parts stores is closing down. Not just because of this Covid crap but it’s a major reason. He’s an older guy and has been in business for over 25 years I think he’s made his money, went through some pretty good years. I was in there the other day and asked him whats going on as his inventory was way down, he told me he’s getting out. This pandemic pulled the last straw. He has high demand for product but can’t get it. Cant get ATV’s near fast enough, RV‘s almost impossible to get any decent amount of stock. Basically he said it’s just not worth the hassle to him any more.

Back