Hi all

Striper Sniper

I am a recent brain dead banker for Edmonton Alberta who moved to the Comox Peninsula...... Freedon 54 we call it.... I have fished the Alberni Canal out to Bamfield and Uculuit as well as the Nookta Sound area on a couple of occassions. I recently bought a Seaswirl Striper 2101 with a Yami 150 and an 8hp HT kicker.... Where do I go from here? Seawolf 1

Hi S.R Craven, everything here is new to me. I am learning how to use the Chart Plotter and Lowance, etc.... I am a retired "Brain dead banker" who also has the number 20 Stone Sheep and Number 79 Bighorn so when I reached an age that I didn't want to climb any more mountains, I moved to Comox, go figure.... Seawolf 1

Next time you get a chance stop in at Comox Valley Dodge and ask for Steve, he won't be there till wed. next week he's out fishing till then, but he'll be glad to give you some pointers. Till then.

Hugely apprciated, I met Kent at Peters Sports and he has set me up with a couple of Scotty downriggers and a pot puller. I also bought a couple of Islander MR32 with anti backup .... no knuckle busters for this lad.... thanks for the lead. SIR, I like your style, hunt for the plate..... WOLF 1

Hi, thank you for the warm welcome! I am looking forward to my retirement, buy a lot of butter, the price will be going up when I am down, I hope.... This site is incredible and I thank all for their input, Seawolf 1

Seawolf, tried your email link and it didn't work. Send me your email address at info@sevillaislandresort.ca if you want some suggestions on center of the strait options. I don't fish your side but would have a few places to suggest in the center of the strait starting in 4-6 weeks.

I say this with fear of getting lambasted by others on the board but you may find some of the fishing spots in the center/this side of the strait to be less seal challenging. We don't seem to have trained our seals as well as it appears the ones on your side of the pond have been. The seals around Powell River, Harwood and North Texada seem to be educated but the rest still seem to be willing to catch fish on their own. Just make sure if you come across the pond that your not being followed.... we don't want any of those educated seals over here!!!

Welcome to the Island. I'm not sure there is room for two of us though, perhaps Braindead Albertan, Braindead Banker or Freedom54?

quote:Originally posted by SeaWolf

Welcome to the Island. I'm not sure there is room for two of us though, perhaps Braindead Albertan or Braindead Banker?
Hi Seawolf, thanks for your feedback, a "Brain Dead Banker" won't let you down. I enjoyed the feedback you have provided on in the Chat Room, which is something I have nevef done before so thank you for your understanding. Seawold 1

Seawolf 1
There's tonnes of great information on this site, lots of depth with the search feature.
I'm an addicted stone sheep hunter, love it, I'm going the first week of September. Worked for an outfitter up north a while back. Where did you get your stone, was it guided.

Hope you read the Comox Record and read Ralph Shaws article this weekend?

quote:Originally posted by Even-tide

Seawolf 1
There's tonnes of great information on this site, lots of depth with the search feature.
I'm an addicted stone sheep hunter, love it, I'm going the first week of September. Worked for an outfitter up north a while back. Where did you get your stone, was it guided.

Hi Even-Tide, I have number 20 BC sitting on my living room wall, I need help to get it to a spot it deserves... also have number 79 BC Bighorn to hang up.. and a good McKenzie Mountain Dall, 38.5 but not a BC. I just put 4 HUGE whitetails in the crawl space, no place on the wall...... did get on 188 net BC in the garage though. Thanks for chatting, Seawolf 1

Welcome, and thanks for introducing yourself.
Now that your soul has been thoroughly sucked out through your sphincter
(I know what banks do to a person) I hope you have time left to heal in your retirement.
Drop me a pm anytime. Or just talk to Kent/Denise/Bruce/Rick, really good people at Peters Sports.
The best place to fish is where you caught the last one.

Hey going from personal experience. If you have not caught one before... How do you know where to start.. :D

Seawolf 1 (will have to watch now there is 2 of you),
Since I too am from the eastside of the strait as SIR and I see he is emailing you some sites to fish between us, I am pretty sure I know which ones. Just to let you know they are already heating up. Slack tide has been a killer for us this past 2 weeks. all fish are around 10 lbs with a few larger spread around, but since there are lots I don't mind I like 10-12 lbers. They take up less BBQ space and it leaves room to put prawns.
Just a note if he mentions prawning spots wait until the commercial guys finish June 30th, if they lay their line over yours you will never pull it up.

Thanks Kisnana, for some reason SIR was not able to get through to my email last night. It was acting up again this morning but seems to be working alright now. I am still overwhelmed at the willingness of the members to help out a newby.....
I think my first trip will be to Nootka in about three weeks time. I am still trying to get someone to come to the house in Comox to wire and install the Scotties. I bought an Ace puller for the pots and I am told they will fit on the downrigger bases and use the same power source. Thanks for your post, Seawolf 1

Since you are going to use your pot puller on the same circuit, get whoever wires your plugs to use #12AWG wire for plugs. Reason being larger wire will carry higher amperage with less line loss and less chance of overheating or popping your fuses.
Good idea is also to check the voltage your boat puts out. Next time out on the water lower your cannonballs about 50 ft.
You will need a millivolt meter. Place one lead from the meter on the negative of your battery and the other lead on your downrigger wire. The voltage you measure should be close to 0.65 volts. Too high and you scatter the fish from your lines and too low and it has no extra attraction.

Welcome Seawolf1,

regarding the downriggers, scotty's recommended minimum wire guage is 12 for runs under 25ft, and 10ga for 25-40ft runs. These are only minimums, and I would recommend the 10 guage regardless. I just wired two on my boat last week with the 10ga and it was only a 5ft run. The larger guage wire is only a few cents more per foot, and bigger is better in this case, especially if you are also going to run a puller.

Back