Herring stocks rebounding

There is only the krill fishery. Kelp is harvested but is managed by BC not dfo. They do little to no assessment before allowing harvest of kelp. There is a large kelp operation going on the North Island. Kelp seems to have greatly increased once the sea otters cane back and started eating a pile of urchins which eat kelp.

We also harvest an insane amount of prawns that salmon.flat fish, sculpin,hake,
Seals and others things in the sea eat.

Like what are the effects of harvesting almost every pawn in the ocean that gets big enough.

I get whales eat chinook and chinook eat herring so let’s light our hair on fire.

We also harvest an insane amount of prawns that salmon.flat fish, sculpin,hake,
Seals and others things in the sea eat.

Like what are the effects of harvesting almost every pawn in the ocean that gets big enough.

I get whales eat chinook and chinook eat herring so let’s light our hair on fire.
I'm reasonably sure that the biggest drain on herring stocks in the Gulf of Georgia is Sea Lions. To give an example , the population of sea lions in the Gulf in 2019 was 35000. They eat 250# a day each , that's 4375 tons PER DAY. The total commercial harvest in 2023 was 21,000 tons. Do the math and tell me the commercial harvest is to blame for any of it

Historically the primary food source for seals and sea lions was herring. So with herring numbers decreasing over the years pinnipeds have learned to eat salmon in the last 20+ years.

IMO we should work to increase herring numbers to provide this traditional food source for pinnipeds to wean them off salmon if we want to help increase salmon numbers for the public fishery and orcas

Nice to see a great spawn happening. Even nicer to see WCVI stocks now appear to be rebounding - maybe they will outstrip the predators ability to knock their population down and we enter a long term recovery.

Would you like to see that approach with rec salmon?
It'd make sense if they would agree to lower the catch #'s of the Alaskan Fleet, it would be pretty interesting to see over a full 5 yr cycle even a 10-15% reduction.

Just look at last years closure results.

Totally agree. We have put our down time in but starting to look like other forces at play.
Good spring returns last year but no discussion on easing any Fraser restrictions.
Please feel free to show me any evidence over the past 50 years of a closure that DFO enacted that was later taken off the books. Once closed, forever closed, has been my experience.

It'd make sense if they would agree to lower the catch #'s of the Alaskan Fleet, it would be pretty interesting to see over a full 5 yr cycle even a 10-15% reduction.

Just look at last years closure results.
There was no alaskan closure last year they won appeal before their normal opening of July 1

There was no alaskan closure last year they won appeal before their normal opening of July 1
No early season....mid may is the start of commercial season in certain area among other "fisheries". Overall they had a 43% increase in #'s of Salmon harvested but the value of $ from 2022 dropped from $720.4 million to $398.6 mil in 2023 as per Alaska fish and Game. I'm totally ok if they decrease #'s if sporties decrease.

Maybe instead of going with their mass July 1 opening they delay it 7-14 days to let other stocks pass by such as what's happening down in Southern BC and Washington?

Back