Herring roe fishery

Yeah I’m in the 1970s It was Like 20k so it's been 400% increase since then.

Are we really going to play the SRKW numbers games

Yeah I’m in the 1970s It was Like 20k so it's been 400% increase since then.
Are we really going to play the SRKW numbers games

"400% increase"
Show me your sources for that bold statement
!!
AND I can tell you from personal experience the bio mass has been MUCH HIGHER then the 200,000 tons I am suggesting but DFO was not doing estimates in those days cause there was no significant Herring Roe fisher.
Even the DFO stats show the stocks are in a recent decline!

Final 2020 DFO Herring bio mass estimate is in at 75000 tons.
"Two industry funded test vessels participated in the test program: Viking
Cavalier February 27 to March 5 and Nita Maria March 8 to 12. The peak sounding
estimate for the Strait of Georgia was approximately 75,000 tons and a total of
26 biological samples were collected."

From a previous post, not mine..
"In 2019, the estimate of biomass was a range of 67K to 221K metric tons. and the final estimate was 86K .
That's about a 12% decline from year to year.
This clearly fly's in the face of the rosy picture painted by those who support the Herring Roe fishery, clearly we are going in the wrong direction!
Clearly the "science" we are relying on is not resulting in stability in the Herring stocks.
Those are just preliminary sounding reports so far. The biomass estimate will be based on spawn deposition that has been surveyed but not calculated yet. The spawn here was over 70 miles in length and that only includes from Campbell River to Parksville. It does not include any spawns on the east side of the gulf or below Nanaimo.
There was over 100 km of documented spawn in central and I hear but have not seen the numbers that the North Coast was big as well.

Actually if you look at the 2016 herring bio mass the final estimate that year were around 130,000 tons.
That's a decline of close to 60% in only 4 years!
I think they should peg a minimum bio mass level of 200,000 tons and not allow any harvesting until we can sustain that level.

And I “think” rec fishing should be closed until we have 2 million Chinook in the Fraser. Either statement is garbage and I’d prefer we all worked with science and leave our “feelings” at home.

Those are just preliminary sounding reports so far.

"Final 2020 DFO Herring bio mass estimate is in at 75000 tons."

So you are saying this is not the Final DFO Herring bio mass estimate. Why would DFO say final??
Were the Final DFO estimates in other years not accurate either???
What are we to believe??

lol.. I have stayed out of this thread but really it should be called " The" fogged in" Herring thread" :rolleyes::p:p

So you are saying this is not the Final DFO Herring bio mass estimate. Why would DFO say final??
What are we to believe??

That is the sounding ESTIMATE only and it’s only on the west side of the Gulf. It’s very difficult to find every fish in the gulf especially now with the sealions keeping them deep and in the mud until they come up to spawn.
Have some patience and wait for science to get the numbers together and then the updated stock assessments will come out.

What are we to believe??
lol.. I have stayed out of this thread but really it should be called " The" fogged in" Herring thread" :rolleyes::p:p
You can add me to this thread as well and if as you say you stayed out of it then stay out of it and start your own thread on your topic of interest.

What are we to believe??

upload_2020-4-6_22-30-47.png
More to add. Here is another 6+ miles from Icarus through Hammond Bay today. That’s pushing 80miles on the west side of the gulf alone. I was told the stock assessment based on spawn deposition comes out late May at best. Test boats identified over 100km of spawn in central coast.
Waiting to hear on PR but I understand kitkatla and Porcher has good spawns as well.

Good positive news on the Herring. With all that herring spawn perhaps DFO will set a sustainable level requirement of lets say 200,000 tons give or take a little and allow harvesting of anything over that level.
A similar approach could be used in the areas that are currently closed .

Good positive news on the Herring. With all that herring spawn perhaps DFO will set a sustainable level requirement of lets say 200,000 tons give or take a little and allow harvesting of anything over that level.
A similar approach could be used in the areas that are currently closed .
Where did you pull the number 200,000 from?????
As for your approach for other areas. Good luck. Huge stocks in central but no agreement with FN.

Another year passing by and another fight over the Herring Roe fishery begins.
All I know for sure is the areas I frequent are still sadly missing the herring stocks of the past!

Moratorium sought on herring fisheries; critical for salmon​

Conservationists and herring industry disagree about whether there's a problem

I wonder how many signatures ENGO's could get if the petitioned to stop sportfishing for salmon? They could use word phrases like, "All summer long thousands of boats hammer the migrating salmon!", " This has been going on for decades! When will it ever stop?" or "Why will DFO not stop the slaughter of dwindling Chinook that SRKW's need for their existence??".
I recently had a friend try hard to convince me to write to the herring assessment coordinator and demand the fishery be shut down. He said everyone else is doing it so I should too. I told him that I would be contributing into the same trap that we are caught in as sportfishers. I believe fisheries should be managed by science and not by political pressuring. The petition doesn't tell the truth either. Herring is not the base of the food web feeding all fish and other life, plankton would be. Chinook's diet is not 80% herring. They eat a variety of other sea critters like krill, sand lance, eulachon, squid, and many other assorted fish. So this petition does attempt to gain support by lying. Typical

Best post on this thread in beginning and why I can't support taking away another fishery without the science. How many more enemies do we want at the table guys? It's pretty full already.

I think our efforts as anglers would be better spent to try to do projects with developing areas for spawning. Identify and clean up areas that may be hindering spawning. Estuary cleanups etc.

Wouldn't our efforts be better spent wrapping all the piling at each marina. PSF surely would contribute to those projects. That's more of win to me....

Last edited:
"Wouldn't our efforts be better spent wrapping all the piling at each marina. PSF surely would contribute to those projects. That's more of win to me...."

Perhaps wrapping the pilings would help, but these pilings have been around long before the decline of our herring stocks.
Some say our Herring Stocks are not in decline and it is a sustainable fishery. All I can say to them is clearly there are not as many herring around Southern Vancouver Island as there were in the past! Not even close!!
The obvious conclusion is the most significant reason for the decline in our Herring stocks is being caused by over fishing for the herring roe which is exported abroad for the profit of a few people.

"Wouldn't our efforts be better spent wrapping all the piling at each marina. PSF surely would contribute to those projects. That's more of win to me...."

Perhaps wrapping the pilings would help, but these pilings have been around long before the decline of our herring stocks.
Some say our Herring Stocks are not in decline and it is a sustainable fishery. All I can say to them is clearly there are not as many herring around Southern Vancouver Island as there were in the past! Not even close!!
The obvious conclusion is the most significant reason for the decline in our Herring stocks is being caused by over fishing for the herring roe which is exported abroad for the profit of a few people.

Anyway we agree to disagree. I just believe we as sportfishing group are demanding science be used in our data on our Chinook fisheries. Then we want to close another group based on what?

If the science says it doesn't work I see it but so far haven't seen it.

I suspect if you took a historical look at herring stocks you would find that it is no where near the original bio mass. So in actual reality you are taking a percentage of something that is already a fraction of what it was historically. As far as the waste goes, I think that is a tough are to defend with the herring fishery. That being said there is a sustainable way to harvest herring roe and that is the kelp roe fishery. Why not transition to a more sustainable low impact fishery? Maybe It wouldn't be profitable for the corporations that currently harvest on the Salish Sea?

Anyway we agree to disagree. I just believe we as sportfishing group are demanding science be used in our data on our Chinook fisheries. Then we want to close another group based on what?

I believe the questionable science (DFO estimates) says that the current Herring Fishery is sustainable.
My concern is at what level of sustainable is acceptable so as it does not have a significant impact on feeding habits of other marine life.

Seems "sportfishing" groups don't want to use science, if science was used and used against historical numbers not severely diminished baselines we most likely wouldn't be fishing for any species at all. Herring bio mass is not even a fraction of what it was historically herring are integral to salmon and by removing them from the eco-system everything losses out. Sport fisherman supporting commercial herring roe fishery is short sighted and doesn't help our causes. I cant help but think if this was a first nations fishery there would be some of the same people on here up in arms about it. Look at it for what it is, a fishery that depletes forage food from salmon, that once played an integral role in some of the largest salmon stocks in the world. Now after a death by a thousand cuts we continue to support the removal of the last few of these guys to please a foreign appetite and keep a few commercial fisherman afloat. Why would anyone support something so stupid?

Seems "sportfishing" groups don't want to use science, if science was used and used against historical numbers not severely diminished baselines we most likely wouldn't be fishing for any species at all. Herring bio mass is not even a fraction of what it was historically herring are integral to salmon and by removing them from the eco-system everything losses out. Sport fisherman supporting commercial herring roe fishery is short sighted and doesn't help our causes. I cant help but think if this was a first nations fishery there would be some of the same people on here up in arms about it. Look at it for what it is, a fishery that depletes forage food from salmon, that once played an integral role in some of the largest salmon stocks in the world. Now after a death by a thousand cuts we continue to support the removal of the last few of these guys to please a foreign appetite and keep a few commercial fisherman afloat. Why would anyone support something so stupid?

Wow your fighting hard there. BTW I never said FN shouln't have a fishery. Not sure where your going with that one. I believe there are some FN that work in this fishery.

Last edited:
Back