Herring in the Gorge

Dragginbait

Has anyone been trying for herring on the Gorge lately, I haven't been out much in awhile and haven't had a chance to drive by the bridges to check it out.

The returns have been near non existent. I went a few years ago at peak run and managed 4 herring in 6 hours.

WOOT

-KK

I have fished it steadily this year (4-5 days each week since mid January) and returns have been dismal.

If the Herring are a choice feed for Chinook, why is French Creek and other areas on the inside where these huge masses of Herring are stagging not the hot spot for fishing Chinook ?

In the old days winter spring fishing was red hot in Esquimalt Harbour. (Herring Majic #4) I would catch Chinook with Herring in them in Esquimalt Harbour when the Herring laid eggs around the log booms for the Mill. In 30 years I have notice a huge change in diet. Needle fish is what I see in most if not all my Chinook in the Winter. Mind you I do not fish Victoria any more, in Renny Needle fish. I do get the odd fish with small Herring in them. This is totally different for our West Coast River Fish On their Migration Home. Hope this is not considered stealing a Thread if so i will move it Cheers

^^^ Smaller food, smaller fish...Let's find a way to bring those herring numbers up. I grew up in that area and remember herring fisherman elbow to elbow on the bridges. I haven't seen more than 3-4 at a time in 10 years at least

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it is not like the 'ol days that's for sure, I used to fish off Craigflower bridge 40-45 years ago when i was a young lad with a couple of pals. We had a blast bringing up 4 or 5 or more at a time. I still have some herring jig's hand tied by Whisker's - any body remember him and his herring jigs? - He was alway's the first one on the bridge and got the prime spot! - Wow, time fly's!

Wonder if this is a reason the winter springs have been so spotty off the waterfront ?

From what ive seen the waterfront has been 5X the fishery Sooke has this winter. Have things been that bad out there? I know the seals are bad but your getting into them still right?

From what ive seen the waterfront has been 5X the fishery Sooke has this winter. Have things been that bad out there? I know the seals are bad but your getting into them still right?

Sorry for the thread hijack, fewer fish and size is down.
seems 3-6 lbs has been the average, with the odd bigger one in the mix.
maybe others are doing better ?

I don't think the waterfront has been good at all where did you get that information KK?

Constance has been good, waterfront not that I've seen or heard.

I guess beign a Sooke fisher I have always considered Constance as part of the waterfront. From albert head to trial Island and Constance.

Ive seen reports of 10 plus fish and heard of guys letting a dozen springs go after there limit. I havent had a multi fish day in 2 months in sooke.

-KK

Head out to Constance then it's only 10 miles from cheanuh (same distance as a run to Otter Point).

Constance is out of bounds for most waterfront derbies and the fishing is quite different out there. That's why I consider it seperate. It's like guys posting their swiftsure bank reports in the port renfrew thread. Port renfrew the beach and port renfrew the bank are entirely different (swift sure is actually closer to nit nat isn't it?)

Anyways I've yet to see a herring come out of the George and I haven't heard any saanich inlet reports yet either. Hopefully somebody shares when they arrive.

Last time I fish Herring in the Gorge, was 2 years ago.
It got hot around the 16th of March, according to my notes.
Some of the old locals were still able to fill their buckets. They are there before sun-up!

Hey Guys,

From all of the reports I have gathered(bridge fishers, scientists, residents, etc) the Gorge is in some huge troubles. The Gorge was the main reason that we(a small group of anglers who want to make a difference with the herring population around Victoria) started a group to make a difference. This is not the only area though and recent years have seen huge returns to Saanich Inlet.

If anyone is interested in helping out and joining the Salish Sea Herring Enhancement Society - PM me! We are not looking to get huge and have a ton of volunteers to manage, but are looking for a helping hand. I am not going to outlay all of our plans, but we do have some good ones. We are focusing on the low hanging fruit this year and will be first and foremost trying to stop the herring from spawning on creosote pilings in Deep Cove(Saanich Inlet) and doing a monitoring program through southern Vancouver Island to determine other areas to focus. This, along with hanging spawning curtains in the gorge like they have done in Squamish. I have to run but will comment on the diet of the local salmon shortly.

Back