Herring Fishing

So Rain do you gill net or Seine herring or are you just a slipper skipper? lol.
Nah I'm just a dude that comes from a family of Italian farmers turned city folk that didn't hunt, fish or go anywhere near the ocean. I started fishing in my late 20's and hunting even later. I have very few friends that do either. I'm as right wing as most of my social circle gets but as left wing as most guys on this forum could ever be. I've been guilty of jumping to conclusions in the past or just jumping on whatever bandwagon my friends were riding. I am amazed at how my passion for fishing and the ocean has grown in such a short time. Now with my own kid being born and a wife that looks to me for information and opinions on the state of affairs in our oceans I feel like I have a duty to do my best to form my own opinions based on FACTS. I do not support commercial herring fishing as a default as I tend to err on the side of conservation but would love to have facts to support that. I started another thread on this topic and had some very reasonable answers from some very nice commercial fisherman and I can't just discount their opinions. Nothing is black and white. What I have learned though is it seems the vast majority of people I talk to are of the opinion that things are. Their dads told them them this was black, their buddies at work agree. Everyone at church or hockey or at the marina says "yup, she looks black to me!". I don't have that influence around me when it comes to fishing.

As the article states,Japanese buyers tastes have changed so their not paying high prices for the roe like they used to.Very few commercial fishermen will get poor prices for their catch to be ground up for pet food or fertilizer.Why exterminate a healthy run of herring as has been done elsewhere because it's deemed sustainable by DFO,we know how reliable their predictions are? At the same time reducing herring that salmon and whales eat that are having trouble surviving.It's a no brainer for me,close all herring fisheries and at the same time kull the seals and sea lions that are killing our remaining runs of salmon.
The petition makes a number of misleading statements. Herring roe is still very lucrative.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...erring-roe-sells-record-¥100000/#.XE1A_mmIYwA

Roe herring gets twice the price of bait herring.
So anybody that signs that petition but still buys herring for bait is a hypocrite. If there aren't enough herring for a roe fishery, there's definitely not enough herring for a bait fishery.

Screenshot_20190120-080051_Drive.jpg

Lots of herring around in false creek, all the work done to the pilings has really paid off. I see lots of big bait balls all through at night. That doesn’t mean I think they are as plentiful as they were in the 80’s but I wouldn’t know as I wasn’t on the coast in the 80’s. Also doesn’t mean I think we should over fish them commercially but somewhere in between. From what I understand some years back the commercial was scaled back and its seems to be recovering in the straight now, so a careful balance would be good.

Last edited:
Stop the harvest of herring for roe - price for it is nothing and they just grind up remains for fertilizer and fish farm food a complete waste !!leave it alone for 3 years and evaluate the stocks , ie there should be bait balls everywhere to be seen

David Ellis
3872 Point Grey Road
Vancouver, B.C.
V6R 1B4

The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau

Dear Prime Minister

CHINOOK AND ORCA ARE NOW ON THE ENDANGERED LIST SO ALL HERRING ARE NOW NEEDED TO REBUILD THE CHINOOK AND ORCA

The Liberal Party will make a huge mistake if is allows the Pattison (Canadian Fishing company) Roe herring fishery in 2019 in the Salish sea at Hornby and Denman islands in early March.

Chinook, an over 2 billion dollar sport fishery, are now listed as endangered and the Liberal government will now have to take real science steps such as no longer allowing the fishing of HERRING. All the herring, a "keystone" species, are now needed by Chinook, which are in turn are needed by Orca.

HERRING ARE THE MAIN FOOD OF CHINOOK

AND CHINOOK THE MAIN FOOD OF ORCA

SO ANY HERRING FISHING WILL HURT THE ORCA

Nobody in the over 2 billion dollar sport fishery (in their right mind) believes herring are at "historic high levels" as now claimed by Liberal Party "science". The Jimmy Pattison lobbyists have penetrated the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. The main lobbyist for Pattison actually worked for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans for many years. His name is Mr. Rob Morley. Do Google.
He is able to play the dfo like a fiddle.

The Orca issue is huge in B.C. and is now supported on a day to day press basis by the Press and the BC public and the huge bc environmental networks and the roe herring fishery is considered by them to be an assault on Orca/Chinook. West coast people are highly versed in ecological detail.

David Ellis
Former head
Marine Fishes (Pacific)
Committee on the Status of Endangered Species in Canada

Hi Justin/Jonathan

The petition to close the herring fishery is nearing 35,000. This is an issue like the KM pipeline that you are on the wrong side of. I note that you have not done anything with the pipeline after buying it with our money. I can provide you text on herring from BC residents to DFO in the 1960s, complaining about Ottawa not taking care of herring. This is a long standing issue, and your siding with Ottawa DFO, is no longer a viable option.

The next election is in October, and salmon are as big an issue in BC as French is in Quebec: https://www.bing.com/search?q=Poll:...BC+as+French+is+to+quebec&pc=MOZD&form=MOZLBR.

And it is time to get fish farms out of the water, for the same reason: to protect salmon. My blog on the subject may reach 600,000 page views by the end of 2019: https://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/.

You need to wake up. BC is the environmental heart of Canada.

And there are your 18 BC seats versus 3 in Alberta. You are not doing well in BC.

DC Reid

BINGO and Thomas Sewid somes up the attack on all sectors very nice, Don't expect a herring ban or gillnet ban to help out the sports fishermen sector because it won't. All it does is give more power to those that want to shut everything down.

Thomas Sewid shared a post.
1 min
I really feel for the people wanting gillnets banned, for they have fallen for the government and environmental rhetoric of divide and conquer. We North American Indians know all too well how this process works by outside influences tossing we Indians a bone with little meat on it to fight among ourselves over. Something we have learned to avoid, but now I see non-natives falling for the same trick. Know your history, so one is never destined to repeat its failures.

It's pathetic really, for Pacific Balance Pinniped Society has and is proving beyond a doubt that a united force is something government and anti pinniped harvesters do not want to see happen. Seeing in that last few months how First Nations, commercial and sport fisherman as well as environmental leaning parties such as Eco-tourism operators all support a controlled pinniped harvest to help protect fin fish species. Soon the environmental organizations will have no choice but to support our group and a controlled pinniped harvest.

This united force knows that in order to really protect our salmon, steel head sturgeon and other fin fish, 1st and foremost the over population of pinnipeds in two countries needs to be controlled. The spin off would be increased numbers of fin fish with whales and humans enjoying the bounty.

Mark my words, once a ban on gillnets anywhere is conducted, sport fisherman will be losing access to fishing areas and species. If one non-native group has to forfeit, so shall the sport fisherman. The governments know the Constitution of Canada and laws in two countries are just too strong to infringe on North American Native Indian rights.

It's a very tough pill for non-natives to swallow with acceptance, but it's the reality of the path pursued by two countries governments for generations. That being said, one should really be supporting Pacific Balance Pinniped Society in Canada. U.S. salmon from three coastal U.S. states spend time in B.C. waters. Decreased pinniped numbers will only help keep salmon and steel head stocks strong for when they turn south and return to spawn in your states.

As for your supposed pinniped harvest in the Columbia River, y'all know more sea lions and even seals need to be harvested as soon as possible and in greater numbers post haste. The only way I see that happening is the U.S. non-Indians best be approaching the Indian tribes and reaching out in cooperation to start a powerful force such as what we are doing in B.C. with Pacific Balance Pinniped Society. Trust me, it's time to toss aside your opinion influenced with bigotry and learn to work together.

This is a new millennium we live in and if we are to enjoy the salmon and other fin fish abundance that we once did last millennium for many generations, y'all best learn to work together.

Please share and remember don't hang this messenger - heed the words and look to what Pacific Balance Pinniped Society is doing and about to do, with a united force cooperating regardless of color of skin, race and preferred fishing method. We do not define members as sport or commercial and we do not favor our First Nations members over any other.

I have been trying to not comment on these herring posts because all it has been doing is pissing me off. The sports fishing sector last year took over 150 000 chinook Salmon and now have the audacity to point the finger at a herring fisherermen.

Give your head a shake and wake up.

I took two of them. I am uncertain of what percentage of the catch this represents only because it is well above my education level. Does anyone know what % of the catch I took is?! :)

two more then most Canadians took, shut it down, save the whales

I have been trying to not comment on these herring posts because all it has been doing is pissing me off. The sports fishing sector last year took over 150 000 chinook Salmon and now have the audacity to point the finger at a herring fisherermen.

Unless I missed something I don't think anyone is pointing a finger at commercial herring fishermen.They will take whatever their quota(tonnage) is allowed if the fishery is allowed to continue,that's their right.Most of us are just wondering whether keeping the fishery open is a smart thing to do given herring are a staple food for salmon and salmon are whale food.The definition of stupid is continuing to do the same thing over and over and expecting different results every time.The herring on the west coast and other places were wiped out to the point that their fishery was closed,do we continue killing the east coast run until it's in the same shape?

Last edited:
What is the equation used to determine your answer? So, based on this we can assume that some anglers have taken 20 chinook in a season then this would be 40 times as much as the average saltwater recreation angler?! Hmm, doesn't add up to me. The reason for my rational is simple, we don't hand in our end of season lic. in order to determine what we truly took as rec anglers.

And what about all the sturgeon fishermen in the Fraser that buy salt water licenses to only go sturgeon fishing, or the people that buy salt water licenses to only go claiming, or crabbing or prawning ect...

I was using your numbers 300 000 salt water license holders that you like to fling out their so often.

And your right we don’t have a good grasp on the actual numbers recrationnfiaherken take. 150 ooo is just DFO estimate for last year based on creek surveys, log books ect...

And yeah the guys that take 20 chinook take magnitudes more then most salt water licence holders.

I have long been advocating a more highly restricted herring fishery. Having watched over the years as stocks collapsed & partially recovered in direct proportion to commercial fishing effort. The early years of the roe fishery in Barklay sound were a travesty.
If nothing else, I would push for a permanent & immediate ban on spawn-on-kelp harvesting. I liken this practice to stomping around in stream beds, harvesting fertile salmon eggs.

I have long been advocating a more highly restricted herring fishery. Having watched over the years as stocks collapsed & partially recovered in direct proportion to commercial fishing effort. The early years of the roe fishery in Barklay sound were a travesty.
If nothing else, I would push for a permanent & immediate ban on spawn-on-kelp harvesting. I liken this practice to stomping around in stream beds, harvesting fertile salmon eggs.
have to argue with you on this one.
If there is going to be a harvest of herring roe, I would rather see spawn on kelp harvesting rather than gill netting or seining herring and killing them for their roe.

You won’t get ride of spawn on kelp, first it is majority of First Nations doing it, secondly the fish don’t die.
The biomass has been the strongest in years in the sog, so they say.

Well if the number of sport fishers is 300,000 as is often quoted and they took 150,000 Chinook salmon, that only works out to 1/2 a Chinook salmon per fisher?

Well if the number of sport fishers is 300,000 as is often quoted and they took 150,000 Chinook salmon, that only works out to 1/2 a Chinook salmon per fisher?
That’s because a seal got the other 1/2 :(

Back