HERRING - A keystone species.

Finished Business

I wanted to share a few videos that were recently shown to me. The videos detail both the destruction of what creosote pilings do to herring eggs, and what kelp wrapped pilings do to save the eggs. It was a real eye opener for me so I had to post them.

The more I learn about the ocean, the more I've come to realize just how important bait fish are to the ecosystem. It seems straight forward that ya, lots of bait + lots of fish = lots more fish, but its something I hear in passing and never have put too much thought into it unfortunately. I'm sure many others have but I'm sure just as many have brushed over it as I have.
But becoming more self-educated (I have no formal marine education), and spending lots of physical hours on the water in the last two years, I can see just how these fish (herring, anchovy ect) truly impact the health of the living marine environment. And now I know more herring usually means more salmon, if man doesn't impact either stock harshly. There is so much talk about salmon enhancement hatcheries, stream keepers ect. and those all clearly have their place. But it seems that herring enhancement is much the same if not more important than salmon enhancement as one directly impacts the health of the other.
Which leads me to my points, and these great videos. Its been long known that creosote pilings kill herring eggs, 100%. But in recent years, maybe more than I know, an effort has been made to wrap these pilings with a kelp based material I believe, and as a result, where the wrapping has been done, the abundance of herring eggs that attach to the wrapped pilings is uncountable! Once the wrapping stops, there is not one living egg to be seen. Further to the eggs themselves hatching, other species, crabs, perch and other shore life feed off this excellent food source and thus the circle of life goes on.

So with so many derbies each year benefiting salmon enhancement, wouldn't having a salmon derby in the name of herring enhancement make just as much sense, or some other fundraiser for the same cause? If a boat load of kelp wrap could be bought and applied to every piling and his brother, wouldn't we be looking at herring returns at an unprecedented amount? Is too many herring a bad thing?

As always, curious what other people think or if something like this is already in action?

*These are not my videos, but made by a local Vancouverite I assume, John Buchanan. Big thank you for his efforts. Great videos. Shocking results!

3 videos in next posts.....

Last edited by a moderator:
[F-SR4WgsgK0] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-SR4WgsgK0

[RvDl8ZXzABw] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvDl8ZXzABw

[VOx99I8yhWY] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOx99I8yhWY

Good post. Seems like a no brainer, but alas... The commercial herring slaughter is another example of politics trumping science. Although the reversal of the West coast fishery by the Supreme Court overruling DFO's political decision to allow fishing again is a ray of hope. The more people that understand the undeniable role herring play in the ecosystem the better.

and the commercial slaughter starts tomorrow, I think a big spawn in comox area today.

I'm sure the number is impossible to come up with, but could we possibly replace the impact the commercial fleet does to the herring stocks in the Straight of Georgia by simply wrapping every piling? Seems like there are enough pilings to get it done!

Example:

How many tons get removed each year commercially?
How many eggs does a piling support?
What is the survival rate of the piling spawn?
How many pilings do we need to wrap to replace the tons harvested?

Or why not build a herring nursery....have FRPD drive a couple thousand piles into a dead area of water and....well, if you build it, will they come??

Great Posts FB!!

You are bang on that the creosote piling issue is bigger than anyone imagined or even suspected in the past. Until the Squamish Streamkeeper started their amazing work, there was very little knowledge of the issue in BC. I would place money on the fact that it has had as much impact as the current UNSUSTAINABLE herring roe fishery. Add them both together and it is no surprise that the herring are in the state that they are. The issue must be dealt with.

There now a handful of groups doing work on the pilings including folks in Squamish, Pender Harbour, Bowen Island, Saltspring Island and now some of us here on SVI. Some friends and I formed the Salish Sea Herring Enhancement Society for just this purpose. We wrapped pilings last year after witnessing a massive spawn and resulting dead eggs in Saanich inlet the previous year....but the herring never showed the next year...
Dead Eggs in Deep Cove, Saanich Inlet herringeggs.jpg

Two of the main problems with knowing how to help rebuild stocks are:

1. Knowing where the herring are going to spawn. The recent lack of DFO assessment leaves HUGE gaps in the data and with out knowing where they have traditionally spawned makes it hard to know where to put effort. Your suggestion of trying to start something in a dead zone is a good one, but they are not quite that random. In order to start to tackle this challenge.....we have set up a social mapping webpage where anyone can post accounts of witnessed spawning events in order to start to map out the areas that are currently being spawned. You will see the Squamish and False Creek info going up soon along with any action in Victoria's Gorge, Saanich Inlet and Pender Harbour. I started it off with the first post, which will show you the spawn in 2012 in Saanich Inlet!

Salish Sea Herring Map:

http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/pacific-herring-in-the-salish-sea

2. Knowing which stocks are genetically distinct populations and which are not. It is very feasible to transplant eggs that have been laid in order to re-populate a once productive stretch of coast. First Nations did this with hemlock bows and trees for thousands of years. Literally falling a tree in a bay and then dragging it once spawned to another bay to hatch out. Knowing the genetic composition can help in both lobbying for protection of stocks along with rehabilitation decisions. I have got together with the World Fisheries Trust based in Victoria and we are starting a sampling program this spawning season and are getting involvement from the good folks in Squamish, Pender Harbour, etc. This is not for sure....but it looks like we may be receiving some funding from the PSF and inclusion in their larger Georgia Strait Salmon Study.

If anyone would like to get involved in these projects, send a PM, if you have not already. We currently don't have anyone lined up to sample the East Side of Vancouver Island at all or the West Coast, although their is enough to cover with the 5 areas that have been chosen to start with.

Thanks for the post FB!

Nice work Nick, somebody starts somewhere such as Andrew on SCVI with the Salish Sea plan and you never know where it can lead.
Having been part of a salmon hatchery for many years, you begin to hear of all the small things needed to have successful enhancement. Even then all the work can go for not, based upon conditions out of your control.
But without trying we will never know, perhaps one day the stew pot that is so critical to a growing salmon population in the straight of Georgia reappear.

Nice post.

Guy

I'm sure the number is impossible to come up with, but could we possibly replace the impact the commercial fleet does to the herring stocks in the Straight of Georgia by simply wrapping every piling? Seems like there are enough pilings to get it done!
Not to quash your enthusiasm, but I am pretty sure that any additional enhancement would just be given to the commercial fleet anyways. They have already increased the quota for this year over last by 25% based simply on a single year's increase in herring stocks. pathetic.

I applaud your efforts though gents. I have a small dock and a wharf with 4 pilings (concrete, not wood and not covered in creosote) by Yellow point. I have never seen any roe there, but will certainly keep my eye on it and report any findings. Keep up the enthusiasm and good work. We need more guys like you supporting and saving our fish stocks from DFO pillage.

Hey Nick, as Andrew P mentioned, we started a group here in Victoria to do our part in our local herring spawning grounds. It is very rewarding and fun to get out with the boys, and give back to the ecosystem we rely on. If you can offer any assistance in your hood, I'd recommend it. See if some of your buddies will get in on it too. The spawn is coming to a bay near you.

Finaddict, no enthusiasm quashed. It is undoubtedly unavoidable that the commercial fleet would take advantage of any increases in numbers. But before that opening comes, I'm sure many salmon and other marine life would have benefited from the additional herring numbers produced by man made spawning areas such as pilings.
Andrew and Dave, I followed your thread related to crowd-funding for your project. It seemed to be a great effort and I was surprised it did not get more support from this site. Do you guys have any footage or photos to document the materials and process of wrapping a piling?
Please post a link to your group and any other info you think I or anyone could learn from.
Cheers.

Finaddict, no enthusiasm quashed. It is undoubtedly unavoidable that the commercial fleet would take advantage of any increases in numbers. But before that opening comes, I'm sure many salmon and other marine life would have benefited from the additional herring numbers produced by man made spawning areas such as pilings.
Andrew and Dave, I followed your thread related to crowd-funding for your project. It seemed to be a great effort and I was surprised it did not get more support from this site. Do you guys have any footage or photos to document the materials and process of wrapping a piling?
Please post a link to your group and any other info you think I or anyone could learn from.
Cheers.
What can I do to my concrete pilings to potentially offer the herring a spawning location? Should I try to wrap them with kelp? Unfortuantely the pilings completely dry during low tide so I am not sure they will be a potential site, but I would love to do anything I can to encourage more herring in the area between the ECVI and the DeCourcey Island group.

There been an increased effort over the last couple of years to increase Herring spawning on the South Island through cultivating and and replanting of Eel Grass and Bull Kelp. And of course DFO has responded by increasing Herring Harvest Quotas in these same areas as stocks start to rebound.
Maybe we should be trying to exert pressure on DFO to increase Herring Enhancement. Maybe an increase in license fees for commercial herring harvest licenses with a significant share going to fund enhancement via piling wraps , habitat enhancement, and eelgrass/kelp replacement. Funding should go directly to those organizations that have a proven history successful herring enhancement programs. you.

Back