Herring 2021

There was? I heard opposite. Heard some in Gorge? Flty overs suggest they returned to areas they hadn't in years in some areas. Sounds like good year.
Is there anyone who has first hand information on "they returned to areas they hadn't in years" who is actually on the water here in Victoria?
My post was regarding the the Victoria area. If there have been herring in the Gorge as there were in the past, I have not seen them. No ball ups off Discovery or the flats that I have seen or heard of from the guys I know on the water regularly and no reports of Herring off Deep Cove in Saanich Inlet where they were once plentiful.
Would love to have some first hand positive reports on Herring returning to historic levels from the Victoria area!
AND what about that Herring dump....what's that all about.
Concerns raised after video shows thousands of dead herring dumped off B.C. coast - BC | Globalnews.ca

Yes and I said they were in Gorge I saw video from one of my friends on Facebook. Not a lie. That was a week ago. I also have many people from Vic I also know on water just as an FYI. Thought that was pretty positive with all the doom and gloom going on that everything is on fire.

The herring don't spawn at the bridge anymore they go to different location. A few S. anglers guys posted on FB just recently there was fair bit off waterfront earlier, and far out as Albert head. Also reports of heavy predation from sea lions along Esquimalt lagoon apparently.

I assume you are part of this group? https://coastalcollabsci.org/herring-watch/

Last edited:
Is there anyone who has first hand information on "they returned to areas they hadn't in years" who is actually on the water here in Victoria?
My post was regarding the the Victoria area. If there have been herring in the Gorge as there were in the past, I have not seen them. No ball ups off Discovery or the flats that I have seen or heard of from the guys I know on the water regularly and no reports of Herring off Deep Cove in Saanich Inlet where they were once plentiful.
Would love to have some first hand positive reports on Herring returning to historic levels from the Victoria area!
AND what about that Herring dump....what's that all about.
Concerns raised after video shows thousands of dead herring dumped off B.C. coast - BC | Globalnews.ca
Watch the video below. I was at deep bay yesterday.

Yes and I said they were in Gorge I saw video from one of my friends on Facebook. Not a lie. That was a week ago. I also have many people from Vic I also know on water just as an FYI. Thought that was pretty positive with all the doom and gloom going on that everything is on fire.

The herring don't spawn at the bridge anymore they go to different location. A few S. anglers guys posted on FB just recently there was fair bit off waterfront earlier, and far out as Albert head. Also reports of heavy predation from sea lions along Esquimalt lagoon apparently.

I assume you are part of this group? https://coastalcollabsci.org/herring-watch/
"Yes and I said they were in Gorge I saw video from one of my friends on Facebook. Not a lie. That was a week ago."
Don't know what you saw on Facebook
This is right from a Volunteer who works regularly on the gorge waterway;
"I work with a volunteer who has been tracking herring in the Gorge and unfortunately he has not seen or heard of any this year."
If you want anymore factual information on the Gorge pm me and I will put you in touch with this person directly.

"Yes and I said they were in Gorge I saw video from one of my friends on Facebook. Not a lie. That was a week ago."
Don't know what you saw on Facebook
This is right from a Volunteer who works regularly on the gorge waterway;
"I work with a volunteer who has been tracking herring in the Gorge and unfortunately he has not seen or heard of any this year."
If you want anymore factual information on the Gorge pm me and I will put you in touch with this person directly.

Well guess your volunteer hasn't found them. It was a week ago, Might want to let him know there was a sighting. I will see if I can find out where video was taken along gorge. I just asked.

1616620172706.png

Well guess your volunteer hasn't found them. It was a week ago, Might want to let him know there was a sighting. I will see if I can find out where video was taken along gorge. I just asked.

View attachment 63589

Thanks
I will send this off to my volunteer and see what he says!
Could you send the link so he can watch the whole video, it wouldn't open for me.
Those certainly do not look like spawning Herring to me!
But a friend sent it to you on Facebook, eh to you figure it's true eh

Disgusting to catch, then dump all that potential bait/salmon feed.
DFO wants to go after rec fishers to save the whales... they should fine the sh*+ out of those guys or suspend their license.

Watch the video below. I was at deep bay yesterday.
Disgusting to catch, then dump all that potential bait/salmon feed.
DFO wants to go after rec fishers to save the whales... they should fine the sh*+ out of those guys or suspend their license.
It was one skiff that got cleaned out at deep bay. I met the fisherman who owned it. He admitted to cleaning his skiff out. There were 7 news agencies on the dock looking to linch somebody. I’m not surprised he won’t come forward during a witch hunt.

View attachment 63589

Thanks
I will send this off to my volunteer and see what he says!
Could you send the link so he can watch the whole video, it wouldn't open for me.
Those certainly do not look like spawning Herring to me!
But a friend sent it to you on Facebook, eh to you figure it's true eh
OMFG. If your going to keep posting nasty comments not going to waste time.:rolleyes:

Gorge rowing club was location. He posted it on 18th. Pass that on to your friend.

OMFG. If your going to keep posting nasty comments not going to waste time.:rolleyes:

Gorge rowing club was location. He posted it on 18th. Pass that on to your friend.
Who's being nasty?
The person who monitors the spawning herring run on the Gorge Waterway says he has not seen any Herring spawning in the Gorge this year.
He would like to see the whole Facebook posting. I think what you posted was just a snap shot. Should not be hard to pass on the whole link.
We all would love to hear you are right and there is a decent herring spawn in the Gorge this year!
Just like in the past!
No nastiness intended
herring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's being nasty?
The person who monitors the spawning herring run on the Gorge Waterway says he has not seen any Herring spawning in the Gorge this year.
He would like to see the whole Facebook posting. I think what you posted was just a snap shot. Should not be hard to pass on the whole link.
We all would love to hear you are right and there is a decent herring spawn in the Gorge this year!
Just like in the past!
No nastiness intended
View attachment 63626

Not playing games more on here anymore. You have your info now go buy a clue and figure it out.

Not playing games more on here anymore. You have your info now go buy a clue and figure it out.
The lack of Herring in and around Southern Vancouver Island is a serious problem.
It's not a game FOR ME!
You posted there were Herring in the Gorge this year and used a Facebook photo to prove it.
Please read this information from a professional who knows !!!!
This is first hand, factual and NOT OFF FACEBOOK!!
All the information you need is there for you and others to question or provide valid information to the source.
We all need to work together to resolve this problem!!
SpringVelocity, you can believe what you choose to believe, but please no more baseless suggestions Herring stocks in and around Victoria are in good shape.
For those who might not live in the area, Portage Inlet is directly up from the Gorge.

Hi Dennis,
So far this year of 2021 no herring of spawning age have been seen by our volunteers at Pedder Bay, Fisherman's Wharf Victoria, Victoria International Marina, Port of Sidney, a dozen locations on Saltspring and Port Browning.
Not a single herrring has been observed caught from the Craigdflower Bridge. No herrring observed in Portage Inlet.
By all means, ask your contact for times and locations of his observations and World Fisheries Trust in Victoria will dispatch a volunteer or technician to assess.
World Fisheries Trust is the scientific company, based in West Victoria, that is co-ordinating this year's search for herring in the above mentioned area. Tom Cinnamon is the lead hand.
There is a lively debate on social media but so far this year, Fisheries and Oceans Canada has not seen a single herring spawning event south of Dodd Narrows in their publically reported aerial surveys. FOC have reduced their aerial survey schedule, the last 3 flights report no spawn. FOC is asking anyone with herring sightings to contact them, James Meldrum is the contact:
james.meldrum@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
We volunteers are promoting iNaturalist, Herring in the Salish Sea, where you can easily share your photos of herring.
Sadly, Facebook claims aside, no professionals have seen herring south of Dodd Narrows this spring.
Jim Shortreed, Victoria
250 937 9475

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in Gorge area when the fishery was in it's prime. I spent several years at that bridge, and know area very well. I would kill to have the herring in there, and the days of fishing the cement plant in Bamberton in Saanich Inlet.

But truthfully those days are gone. Saying there isn't single herring in Gorge seems to be bit of fantasy in a way. Now lets just repeat again I said that herring seem to be good this year is talking BC wide. The gorge hasn't had a signifigant push herring for years, and I am sure you know the pollution issues with habitat there. It well documented.

You say you want to work with people and when people give you info it isn't what you want to hear. Right now optics in our recreational fishery is around data. So far the data on herring is clear. Also there are groups in sport fishing sector as well as others who are on the prey availability group engaged on this with DFO.

Sitting in Victoria trying to shut down another sector is not going to get it opened, or change the situation. It will do opposite it will divide us even further. I don't know about you but I think last thing we need is another enemy like commercial sector at the table.

I like what you guys are doing with wrapping pilings and improving habitat etc. That work is great, and we shoudl all strongly support it. I just disagree with you in banding together with the NGO groups that are trying to close our fishery. Your being used hate to say.

The data isn't there to support a shutdown. It is just the facts.

Good luck in all you are doing.

Last edited:
I grew up in Gorge area when the fishery was in it's prime. I spent several years at that bridge. I would kill to have the herring in there, and the days of fishing the cement plant in Bamberton in Saanich Inlet.

But truthfully those days are gone.

You say you want to work with people and when people give you info it isn't what you want to hear. Right now optics in the area in our fishery is around data. So far the data on herring is clear. Also there are groups in sport fishing sector as well as others on prey availability group engaged on this with DFO.

But yet that isn't good enough. Sitting in Victoria trying too shut down another sector is not going to get it opened or change situation. It will do opposite it will divide us even further. I don't know about you but I think last thing we need is another enemy like commercial sector at the table.

I like what you guys are doing with wrapping pillings and improving habitat etc. That work is great. I just disagree with you in banding together with the NGO groups that are trying to close our fishery. Your being used hate to say.

The data isn't there to support a shutdown. It just the facts. Hate to say it, and won't support it. When we see teh data say so then its'; tiem to act, but right now it isn't.

Good luck in all you are doing.
Please read my posts when I started the Thread "Herring 2021"
You will find I said nothing about the Mid Island Herring Harvest!
Yes, I was the first to post the story regarding the Herring dump near Deep Bay, but made no comment other then to say "AND then this on Global TV"
My concern on this Thread is the lack of Herring at the southern end of Vancouver Island.
Please don't confuse the debate raging around the Denman Island area with my posts on this Thread.
AND I might add I am not being "used" by anybody!
That comment could be used to describe many on this form who support the Herring Fishery (assuming they are not profiting from it) but I would never label anybody as being "used" because I don't share my opinion.
It sounds like you and I are local Victoria boys and and you do understand the problem with the serious drop in Spawning Herring in the Victoria area, so there is no sense in getting into a shooting match over that!

Back