Help with Self parking windshield wipers!!!

Rayp

I need help from some of you "geniuses" at wiring. My boat came with one wiper and roughed in for a second. The one wiper died and when it came to replace it I decided why not add the second wiper while at it. I bought two Seadog self parking and a new switch. I want both wipers running from the same switch and because of being self parking is VERY complicated for me.
thanks in advance.
Ray

Hi Ray

I just did the exact same install and included the windshield washer as well. Are your wiper motors two speed?
Does your switch have a spot for the self park wire? What are you having trouble with?

Here is how mine is wired:

Red wire from each motor (self park wire) join together and to park connection on switch
Black (neg) join together and to ground.
Blue (slow speed) Do not join together, run to switch. Should be spot on switch for each motor.
White (high speed) Do not join together, run to switch. Should be spot on switch for each motor.
Switch has spot for pos + run to fuse.
Center pin on switch to washer bottle.

Good luck

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Joe,
according to your description I may have the wrong switch for this set up. The switch I have only has four prongs to hook up wires to, I will take a look after work today.
thank you for the reply.
Ray

Hi Ray

I just did the exact same install and included the windshield washer as well. Are your wiper motors two speed?
Does your switch have a spot for the self park wire? What are you having trouble with?

Here is how mine is wired:

Red wire from each motor (self park wire) join together and to park connection on switch
Black (neg) join together and to ground.
Blue (slow speed) Do not join together, run to switch. Should be spot on switch for each motor.
White (high speed) Do not join together, run to switch. Should be spot on switch for each motor.
Switch has spot for pos + run to fuse.
Center pin on switch to washer bottle.

Good luck

Joe
My wiper motors only have 3 connections +- and blue for self parking which make me think these are self parking single speed. I did have the wrong switch with only three prongs, I just picked up a 6 prongs and got them going.
thanks for your help Joe!

Last edited by a moderator:
After a while the cams wear down and the self parking feature fails to work. When that happens, you can remove the +ve wire and shut off the switch manually, when parking the wipers off to the side.

Actually, a wiper assembly that refuses to move might have a simple blown fuse. But usually fuses don't blow on their own. Even at full stall, the current draw of the motor should be well below the fuse's rating. If the fuse is blown, odds are there's something else wrong, like a shorted wiper-motor armature or faulty wiring anywhere along the harness between the motor and the switch. Even a mechanical problem like a seized bushing can make a fuse eventually fail.

Back