Help a Rookie? Fish I'd?

dafishj00

So I've only fished the interior of BC for one year, and a Rookie Fisherman altogether. I've been catching these fish all over the place in the interlakes area , but everyone says they are somethig different. I always thought they were Char, until a local and more experienced one told me they were "suckers". Another later told me they were lake trout (are char and lake trout not the same thing?).

I know my rainbow trout, pike, pickrell (walleye), perch etc (most of my fishing was in Ontario), but not sure on this one.

Any help is appreciated. Thx,

Rail%20Lake%20BC.jpg

Northern Pikeminnow, commonly called "Squawfish" by most, coarse fish found in many BC lakes. Black spot at base of tail distinguishes them from other coarse fish.

It could be a Longnose Dace but the book I have says they don't get quite that big. It looks just like the picture on wiki though....

A minnow? Really? This one is one of the smallest I caught. Most were around 1lb and one as big as 2.5lbs. No fight at all. Usually caught on spinners when hunting rainbow.

What exactly is a 'coarse' fish? Are they edible?

I just looked up northern Pikeminnow and more pics and descriptions etc. That's definately what they are! Thanks!

Back