Heli-logging Show

Time

Last year or so some members who work the woods lamented the lack of a reality show dealing with their trade.
Caught an episode of Heli-logging last night on Discovery channel. The operator is Coulson out of the Cowichan area, and their logging operation was somewhere in the Port Alberni area.
Seemed pretty good, although a bit thick on the hyperbole in the voiceover.
Any of you experienced hands care to comment on the accuracy of the show.
The woods is one area I never worked.
Looked at a green chain job once in my youth, and quickly figured out it wasn't my cup of tea.

yup!!!i also watched the same program...i thought they did a not bad job on showing everyone how dangerous logging can be.however they still dont have one on just falling.now if your lookin 4 a show on stupidity...tune into the show AX MEN.i cant believe anyone on that show would want people 2 see how unsafe their logging practices really are,and not 2 mention,what kind of safety program r they pushing down there..dont die.and i think anyone who has logged or fell on the coast here in BC....is probably thinking the same....what a !@#$en joke

shakes:D
(faller)

Ya, axe man. ZERO for safety, fallers not using face sheild, bucking pants and no one has corks, WTF guys setting chockers in runners. But the heli show is pretty cool.

The coulson show, I know the foreman...I wont mention his name. Really good guy, and I damn near guarantee he acted it up a bit to play his part.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Oh yea, Axemen....... can you say "the dark ages"? Ive been a heavy duty mechanic in the logging industry for most of my life and havnt seen that style of logging for 20 years.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Freind of mine just came back from a funeral in Bella Coola. Yes, it is dangerous. Worst part about it, it wasn't even a saw log that killed him, he was just clearing a medium sized alder snag out of the way. The inside was rotten, he was pretty much dead as soon as he touched his saw to the tree.

Take only what you need.

Was doing some hand loggin yesterday.. Felt like I got hit in between the shoulder blades with a log, It was almost electric! But I think I just pinched a nerve. Weird, I was lifting big logs and stuff, but I was only standing there chain-sawing when the pain hit.

Take only what you need.

Ax men was on last night.. what a gong show that one outfit is!

Take only what you need.

I watch American Channels. I don't know if it was a rerun or not though.

Take only what you need.

I work in the bush as a driller/blaster.I agree,axe men is a total joke,no safety whatso ever.I know a few of the heli fallers on the show,believe me there is no acting there,Those guys are nuts,you have to be to do that job.Any body know when it was filmed??

I think Time was referring to "Heli-Loggers" on the Discovery Channel, with Gord Closson's crew. It's pretty close to the real thing. It's hammed up a bit with the language and what not. My brother's a cretified arbourist, and he did some standing stem work at Woss Lake. It's tough work. Very hard on the body. He only lasted a few months.

Kind of funny to see Gord again on TV. When I went to school with him he was the most haywire kid in town. Good to see he's channeled his energy.

I played hockey against his father. Gordie senior. Sounds like he was a chip off the old block, if you know what I mean.

Back