Hds live 7 or hds carbon 9?

MikePA

I don't want to spend more than ~$1500.. which would you pick.. newer and smaller or older and bigger. From what I've researched the processing speed is similar, screen is the same other than size. I'll be using it just for sonar as I use a mounted tablet for charts. Thanks for any opinions.

I would go for older and bigger. I’d also look at Garmin in that price range.

Sonar only? Easy choice: bigger screen. More likely to be viewable from most places around the boat. For trolling, you can stay astern and watch rods and cannonballs. Drift jigging, quick looks for bait/fish marks.

I don't want to spend more than ~$1500.. which would you pick.. newer and smaller or older and bigger. From what I've researched the processing speed is similar, screen is the same other than size. I'll be using it just for sonar as I use a mounted tablet for charts. Thanks for any opinions.
I have a pair of 7s. They are pretty tiny relative to the 9. I'd go 9 in an older model.

I moved from HDS7 to 942xs and linked to a Reactor 40 kicker autopilot. Have no regrets for the upgrade. Had a bit of learning curve with the new UI but the new package with Navionics in the middle has transformed my solo fishing experience. Carbon 9 is a great unit. It really depends on what you want to do with your whole electronics package.

I moved from HDS7 to 942xs and linked to a Reactor 40 kicker autopilot. Have no regrets for the upgrade. Had a bit of learning curve with the new UI but the new package with Navionics in the middle has transformed my solo fishing experience. Carbon 9 is a great unit. It really depends on what you want to do with your whole electronics package.
Pretty basic for me.. sonar and engine data

I bought a new Garmin 943xsv and bought the G3 Vision card for it.Big mistake I think now,the G3 vision card that you pay about $400 for doesn't automatically transfer all it's features by inserting the SD card.You have to register your device w/Garmin and then transfer the features with wifi from your phone and it's very complicated for anyone with basic computer skills like me.Many Garmin users are complaining about how complicated the "Active Captain " system is. You also need to subscribe to update the features after the first year,more money.If I had it to do over,I'd buy Lowrance or Simrad.

Also call Harbour chandlers and see if they have any sales on the carbon or live coming up
Called, they don't have any in stock and said they wouldn't even be able to come close to that price. I was all set to buy the carbon 9, after seeing the live 9 for the same price, it's a tough pill to swallow!

Back