Hds 7 and 5 help.

prodjsaig

I bought a new airmar p66 transducer and both units aren't showing bottom. I'm suspecting something inside both of them is blown.

Can you ohm test or something to check if the transducer is good?

Not trying to be a smart alec but are you replacing a old p66 or changing to a new p66 from a different transducer?
Usually you have to select transducer type in settings if this is a different one. Hope it is simple as that.

I bought a new airmar p66 transducer and both units aren't showing bottom. I'm suspecting something inside both of them is blown.

Can you ohm test or something to check if the transducer is good?
My HDS7 worked a lot better when i got the most recent software update.

If I remember there’s two airmar p66 in the menu where you select your transducer. Ones 5k and ones 10k I think. It’s been years since I did this so I can’t remember but make sure you select your proper ducer

If I remember there’s two airmar p66 in the menu where you select your transducer. Ones 5k and ones 10k I think. It’s been years since I did this so I can’t remember but make sure you select your proper ducer
Yes 10k for the garmin p66 if you splice. 5k for the lowrance.

What I suspect is an internal fault in both units from god knows what. I just got a brand new p66 from defender marine in florida. Im taking both units home with me and a transducer to troubleshoot. I will update what I find. If anyone has a hds 7 gen1 2 or 3 and can let me test my hds 5 gen1 or hds 7 gen 3 I would throw in 200$.

Not trying to be a smart alec but are you replacing a old p66 or changing to a new p66 from a different transducer?
Usually you have to select transducer type in settings if this is a different one. Hope it is simple as that.
What I did was splice a garmin p66 to lowrance and it worked flawlessly for a season. Then it failed. Maybe a short I dont know. I got a lowrance 83/200 with sidescan and it worked for an hour and quit. Sent it back to amazon.

Now new p66 and no depth. So I think both units may have an internal short in the depth circuit. Who knows. Ill check it out but if you have an hds and youre fishing this season you can check it if it works its yours by then. Ill probably upgrade if I cant find the fault.

The garmin is 8 pin and lowrance 7 pin.
Lowrance on the left below garmin right

Black to black depth +
Red to blue depth -
Depth ground bare to depth/temp bare ground

Bare temp ground <------ stuck here
Yellow to white temp +
Orange to red speed volts
Blue to green speed signal

Brown unused garmin thermistor I'd

Do I wire the temp ground into the depth ground will that cause issues? Lowrance has two separate grounds one for depth one for temp.

Garmin ground depth and temp together. So im assuming it's OK to hook then up dont know if the lowrance unit will react poorly. Or just say screw it and disconnect the temp to be safe?

Update I tested it so what happened first off was it shorted and melted through the insulation.

I wired the garmin common ground to both the temp ground and depth ground of the lowrance.

No speed wheel for using the garmin with lowrance tho must be a different resistance or sensor. doesnt work. Depth temp good.

Where are you at. Might help with someone coming to your rescue. If you’re on the island, Harbour Chandler will hook up your head unit and let you know if everything is good. You can go from there troubleshooting. I think they also have a transducer to check if everything is working. Other places might do the same. It’s a start.

Oly

That's a good idea I'll have to keep that in mind. I had to stop there a few seasons ago from losing some tackle off thrasher.

So I got it wired up used heatshrink glue and solder butt splices. Meshed wires together heatgun. Then mylar on the two bundles and tapped. The speed wheel won't work incompatible but that's fine.

Back