hds-5 problems

greetings,i just bought and installed a Lowrance hds-5 gps-sounder Combo, the Sounder works great.i am having some problems with the Gps, when i am running it works good, speed is close and follows along nicely on the Chart.when trolling the speed overground is eratic , sometimes as much as 900mph.This Unit has an internal Gps antenae.It is mounted in the Dash of a 20Ft.hardtop Hourston. Has anyone had an issue like this?Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks Drilleryells

I have the HDS 7 but and have mine on the dash behind the windshield too - and hardtop but mine seems to work fine at low speeds. There is a setting whether you do "fast trolling" or "slow trolling" and others - I have mine set to "general use". Maybe try if that solves your issue.

Maybe you have the wrong trolling prop and are doing 900 mph! :D

after about a year of #$@% around, adding a external Gps antenae and having the pros work on the problem, ran the power cable to the back of the boat and hooked up to a new bus bar the problem is solved and Gps is working great! clean power is the key( should have done this first} oh well live and learn. Driller

How many sats are you locking onto?
You should have clear view of sky,
Maybe the hardtop is obstructing the view some,
can you move it temporarily and see if it helps

Back