Harper does it again - Sells Canada out with Canada-China FIPPA Agreement!

Mark my words, the people of BC, including the First Nations, will put up such a hell of a fight the Northern Gateway Pipeline will never be built.

There are folks from other Province's and Country's that are against it as well. Just sayin'.

Mark my words, the people of BC, including the First Nations, will put up such a hell of a fight the Northern Gateway Pipeline will never be built.

This process will start with the removal of the Liberals in the next BC election and the installation of the NDP. Then we are gonna see a huge Provincial/Federal fight for as long as the conservatives are in....which hopefully will not be long!

Dont want to derail the thread, but watch what happens with fish farms when the NDP get in. Look to the east coast to find your answer.

Lorne

Recently finished a GIS project on the pipeline(link below). Haha to be honest it is not terribly well done, due to having to take a number of shortcuts and methodology errors etc. Some might find a few things interesting however. I am still unsure how the scenario will play out, as both sides are locked in a very intense battle. $$$ and globalization historically win in this scenario unfortunately. Halting the pipeline could be a monumental move however that has an immense global impact for future projects.

http://geob370.wordpress.com/

Ps A similar battle is being waged up north with the mine proposal and has a great documentary ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoRVPKWbI0Q)

ftp://ftp.fisheries.ubc.ca/FCRR/20-7.pdf

I haven't read this full report yet (it's 40+ pages) but it's called: Potential economic impact of a tanker spill on oceanbased industries in British Columbia and was recently published by the Fisheries Centre at UBC. The research in this study shows that a single large scale tanker spill could negate the economic benefits expected over the next 50 years of this project. I'll have to read more for the details and please do so yourselves.

ftp://ftp.fisheries.ubc.ca/FCRR/20-7.pdf

I haven't read this full report yet (it's 40+ pages) but it's called: Potential economic impact of a tanker spill on oceanbased industries in British Columbia and was recently published by the Fisheries Centre at UBC. The research in this study shows that a single large scale tanker spill could negate the economic benefits expected over the next 50 years of this project. I'll have to read more for the details and please do so yourselves.

Wow, great report by UBC here Tincan. Over a hypothetical 50 year life of the project, a major spill is a virtual certainty, due to the one risk which can never be managed down to a negligible value - human fallibility!! Add in the navigation problems in the Douglas channel and the weather conditions up there and it is clear approving this project is just a crazy high stakes gamble with the soul of BC.

Recently finished a GIS project on the pipeline(link below). Haha to be honest it is not terribly well done, due to having to take a number of shortcuts and methodology errors etc. Some might find a few things interesting however. I am still unsure how the scenario will play out, as both sides are locked in a very intense battle. $$$ and globalization historically win in this scenario unfortunately. Halting the pipeline could be a monumental move however that has an immense global impact for future projects.

http://geob370.wordpress.com/

Ps A similar battle is being waged up north with the mine proposal and has a great documentary ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoRVPKWbI0Q)

Kelly who commissioned your GIS report and who is the intended audience?

It was for an advanced undergrad GIS course at UBC and I will be the first to admit it was overall pretty poorly done. Many aspects are ignored, data was not available etc. This was mostly due to it being our first actual attempted environmental assessment, the topic scope, time constraints and project parameters. Although it was a challenge to conduct was interesting, informative and has certainly given me a new outlook on related projects. The money, effort, time and knowledge involved in a full scale, professional environmental assessment is huge. Not to mention it has shown me how easy it can be to skew seemingly straight forward assessments to one sides favour. Thanks for posting that link tin can, when i get a chance tomorrow i will sit down and read the report.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back