hardtop, softtop or cc for fishing solo

For hardtop vs soft top, the biggest problem I always found with the hard top was banging my head if it was a runabout style (low top). Not a problem with a larger boat with a walk-in cabin, but then I found the extra 'windage' that was created by the higher sides was a nuisance at the ramp.
The other consideration is when do you use the boat. For an all-season guide boat then the hard top to provide shelter for your guests in all weathers. But if you can pick and choose your days, then it's not so important (go when the sunshines).

And on linking kicker motors to the main, note on Wolf's pictures the small extension plate on the front of the kicker. Doing the geometry between the two motors usually requires the extension. Wolf's looks to be 1/4" aluminium, but SG sells a stainless plate pre-drilled for the Yamaha kickers for 15.00. (If anybody needs one, I have an unused one, trades?)

Gotta say I really like my 21' Trophy.

I also fish alone 90% of the time and I can handle this pretty easy. It does take some practice and getting to know your gear and equipment. I choose my days as I hate bouncing in the wind. There is lots of deck space too and the enclosure keeps you dry and warm. There is 7 feet of headroom and no doors to fight with. You can choose to remove any or all the curtains. I never remove the top and only wish I had a hardtop just to make it easy to mount all the atenna's and gps etc. I use the E. Z. Steer to connect both motors (175 and 9.9) for trolling http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0030613010974a.shtml

The cuddy has lots of room to store everthing dry and secure and a place to crash if you need too. This also keeps the deck area clean of gear that you don't want to trip over when the reels starts screaming The trailer having bunks makes it a dream to launch and also bring it in. As much as I want a bigger boat(love a 23' to 25') I am glad I have this, as getting a bigger and heaver boat makes it almost impossible to handle it all by yourself. Auto pilot wont help with a double hitter and 50 boats around you. I do have to say the 99% of the people who see you with a fish on and that you are by yourself really make an effort to stay out of your way.:)

Beyond a larger boat costing more to operate I would also need a bigger truck and when towing gas cost also a lot more. 19' to 21' for solo fishing is a good choice. Go for a 21', the 2' makes a world of difference in an boat and will take you more places. Good Luck :D

Fish On

P1030335-1.jpg

quote:

Wolf:

Do I understand this correctly? You tied your kicker steering into the hydraulic steering of your main drive?

If that is correct, and you provide details as to how you did it? I had understood that you can not tie the two together like that. I hope to be proven wrong on this as I would like to be able to steer my kicker from the main cabin.

Jim's Fishing Charters

Jim, I've got mine set up to steer this way. A little different from Wolf's. My main is an I/O with hydraulic steering. I've got one of the EZ-Steer links between the kicker and the main. The EZ-Steer has a rachet setting that allows the two sections to telescope in and out. I can grab the tiller and steer the kicker from the rear when fishing on the deck and the EZ-Steer slides in and out as the kicker moves (and the main does not). If I am at the helm, and turn the wheel, the main turns and moves both the main and the kicker via the EZ-Steer. The trick is to keep the tensioner on the kicker loose so that the EZ-Steer link can move it. Seems to work very well.

TenMile
<'((((><

I've got a similar set-up, but older starcraft Islander, 22ft.
I have an 8HT yammy kicker with a tie-bar to the main on an offshore bracket.
Nice little cuddy with enough room to stretch out.
Easy to steer when its not windy.
When the wing blows, the aluminum hull with canvas top sure blows around.

With the canvas up and door hanging down but not zippered its nice and warm, with access to the gear.

THe cuddy is nice when I have kids out, especially in the cold. They head into the cuddy with their game-boy and the lab, and its cooking in there pretty quick.

The aluminum hull, fully loaded on the trailer, is about 4,000lb total. (the boat is under 2,000 dry). I pull it with a 99 V6 4 runner with no problem going over the hill in to PA.
If I was mooring permanently in the water, I'd go with glass. On rougher days in the Aluminum we take a pounding.

quote:Originally posted by Northof49

I like our soft top. It can be totally sealed up on the blustery days in Georgia Strait or folded down for the lake in summer. This shot is day one it was brought home. Now it's not as clean and has more "stuff" on it.

DSC00773.jpg

I have a removable steering link between my kicker and main. Had to make some custom bends to shorten it and go around a bolt, good think my picnic table had the perfect knot hole in it.[^]

Fishin' anywhere anytime for anything

TR-1 gold is a wonderful thing..... an auto pilot is real nice when your by your self, or just you and your girl.... it keeps the boat straight....and back down the throttle to a crawl.....and just fight the fish

Back