Halibut

weasonedog

Pic of the halibut my wife caught off of Gabriola last augast. 15# of great eats

Attachments

• Picture 407.jpg
    Picture 407.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 166
What is the proper way to bleed a halibut for top quality meat? I heard you slice the tail at the base, but tried this last year and nothing happened other than the fish gave up its fight. Im assuming I missed the vein but with how FEW I caught last year I want to get that sucker bleeding!

Anyone?

I just cut the gills. They bleed like a stuck pig. Try to just stun them witha good wack and don't kill them as their heart will pump a good amount of blood out. There is an artery in the tail, but it's harder to find and I think it kinda ruins the pictures at the end of the day.

I just cut the gills. They bleed like a stuck pig. Try to just stun them witha good wack and don't kill them as their heart will pump a good amount of blood out. There is an artery in the tail, but it's harder to find and I think it kinda ruins the pictures at the end of the day.

Yup. Cut the gills.
Dave

I have seen Iron Noggin cut the tail on a Hali and was surprised at how much it bled-maybe there's a trick to doing it he could fill us in on.

Osama taught us to bleed the tuna. I've never seen fish as white and clean as his. Stab the liver (pretty sure its the liver) right behind the flipper and they bleed like a broken dam. For Halibut, pretty sure the main artery runs right to the tail and this is what I'm assuming you want to cut. Just unsure as to how to exactly find it, the first time.

I await the noggin' of Noggin

haha

Never knew the tail cut was for bleeding. Always thought it was to take the fight out of em. I just cut the gills and tie em up..........then its miller time!

cut from the wrist halfway through, then cut through the gills. it kind of releases the blood, like holding fluid in a straw with yer finger on the end. white side up when done. supposed to keep the worms in there gut i thinks..

It was incidental catch, we where on bottom for salmon. There have been a few caught out there the last few year's. Largest that I have heard of that was confirmed is 47#

What is the proper way to bleed a halibut for top quality meat?

Decent tap to the head, along the ridge near the eyes to stun them. Cut the base of the tail (Wrist) on the OPPOSITE side of the eyes, right through to the spine. Major vein in there tight to the spine. They will pump out all of their blood, leaving snow white fillets when you get to that task.

Bigger fish, harpoon through the gill plate (I use a rather wide, razor sharp "Arrowhead" style tip that REALLY slices whatever it contacts), and they will bleed out outside of the boat. I still usually make the tail/wrist cut to make sure the blood is completely gone.

... white side up when done. supposed to keep the worms in there gut i thinks..

White side up to prevent "Belly Burn".

Cheers,
Nog

knife's sharp. ready to rock in spring.

Tx Nog

Back