Halibut - The Hammer Falls

quote:The day that F/N's don’t fish will be the day we get compensated for the decimation of OUR stocks.

Good luck with that! :D

One thing you are almost right about: I wished too they took the billions and put them into salmon/steelhead recovery than into the pockets of unable and useless managers of bankrupt companies.

quote:quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The day that F/N's don’t fish will be the day we get compensated for the decimation of OUR stocks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck with that!

A fiduciary duty is the highest standard of care at either equity or law. A fiduciary is expected to be extremely loyal to the person to whom he owes the duty (the "principal"): he must not put his personal interests before the duty, and must not profit from his position as a fiduciary, unless the principal consents. The word itself comes originally from the Latin fides, meaning faith, and fiducia, trust.

The fact that DFO was selling fish pretty much shows they have not held up their end of the fiduciary duty. Not to mention the stock mis-management and reduced access to the resource due to controlled overfishing.

Man I could go on all day stating facts.. But it won't change anything, because the lines have all ready been drawn for the most part. The courts make rulings, then the government doesn't really like what the court has to say so they put it back in front of their own people for "clarification" and as a result we get a watered down version of the original rulings. This is how F/N's achieve progress in this great land. Two steps forward and one step back!

I do not see why our brothers to the south get 50% of the USA TAC and all we get is s#it on for selling our fish? The only thing standing in our way is the people like Jimmy Patterson who would scream bloody murder if the Government of Canada ever gave F/N's 50% TAC. I can just imagine the public outcry when F/N's might make a profit off their resources. Why is there such an objection to us wanting to improve the quality of our lives by utilizing a small portion of the resources within our traditional territories? To have houses that are not full of mold? To be equals with our white peers! To see that our children have better lives than ourselves! I really don't get it other than pure and simple systemic racism.

Man I'm starting to sound more and more like my father every day :D

Take only what you need.

Is there any thought that the industrialized world was not coming to Canada without the "Whites"? If not the Europeans then the Spanish, if not them, then the Japanese. Canada may have been an extention of Germany if the "Whites" hadn't colonized when and as they did. We have our Canadian forefathers (white, FN, and others) to thank for our very freedom, possibly even our very existence.

The fish collapse is a world wide issue and I don't personally believe the Canadian scene would be any different today without our involvement (in fact maybe a whole lot worse.) All this blame just leads to allow DFO to continue to mismanage the resource that we all hold so dear.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

It's not the FN's resource, it's CANADA'S resource. Last time I checked, I was a Canadian, born and raised here.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

he must not put his personal interests before the duty

To make the resouce CANADA'S would be putting CANADA'S personal intrests ahead of the fiduciary duty. In other words it would be ILLEGAL.

Take only what you need.

FA, you stated that these big corporations are mis-managed,and F/N should be given the bail out money. My thought is and correct me if wrong here, is not Indian and Northern Affairs one of these mis-managed and poorly run corporations?

Latest:

quote:February 22, 2009

The Honourable Gail Shea
Minister, Fisheries and Oceans Canada
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0E6

Honourable Minister;

I am writing you today to express my deep concern and confusion over your February 12th decision delivered to the SFAB regarding the 2009 Halibut fishery.

Frankly Minister I am at a loss to understand how you could so totally ignore the facts in this matter. As I had noted to you in previous correspondence regarding our meeting in January, I, and the others attending actually believed you comprehended the information we gave you on this issue.

We, the representatives for the recreational sector, have bent over backwards in an attempt to reach the type of management regime your predecessors and now it appear you, demanded. We spent countless days in travel and meetings with your officials and representatives, we thought, from the commercial sector coming to a number of mutual agreements for the management of the Halibut fishery. In every instance, after the agreement was reached, the commercial sector breached or ignored that agreement. Now your government has spent over a year, reviewing the latest proposal that we jointly put forward and the commercial sector has again breached, and after a year, you reject it out of hand.

To say this is unsatisfactory would be the understatement of the century. Your playing Pontius Pilot with this issue will not resolve it and I can assure you will amount to nothing more than throwing gasoline on the flames.

At a time when your government is making continuous claims about your concerns over losing jobs in Canada and the need to keep our economy stable and growing, you make a decision that will ensure the loss of hundreds of jobs in the recreational fishing industry in 2009. Moreover we will see losses in the millions of dollars to the British Columbian and Canadian economies because of your decision.

The amount of Halibut needed to maintain a viable and vibrant recreational fishery amounts to far less than the commercial sector will leave in the water in 2009. A transfer of this amount would cost the commercial sector nothing but would, as noted, have saved hundreds of jobs in the recreational industry as well as create an infusion of tens of millions of dollars into our economy. This is hardly living up to your duty to achieve the highest possible return to the people of Canada for the use of their fishery resource.

Either your staff failed to tell you or you have chosen to ignore the fact that at the recent meetings of the International Pacific Halibut Commission the processing industry advised the Commission that they currently have in storage some 10 million pounds of Halibut from last years harvest. That is more than all of the 2008 B.C. allocation and over 30% more than the total 2009 harvest. Every indication was given that commercial halibut prices were going to be but a shadow of what they were in 2008. In fact the processors made it clear that they cannot even sell their current stock even at ex-vessel prices, never mind at wholesale prices.

Yet you chose to allocate this valuable public resource to the lowest possible use for 2009.

Moreover you continue to support the practice of giving this resource to a major portion of the commercial quota holders who do not even fish for them. Of the 435 holders of commercial Halibut quota in 2008, only 168 actually fished for Halibut. The majority Halibut quota holders, 267 take this resource that was gifted to them by the government and sit on the beach while they collect rent for a Canadian resource from the few who are actually willing to go to sea and fish. All fish allocated to and caught by recreational fishers are taken by the anglers themselves not by third parties..

Madam Minister you are perpetrating a farce and supporting the lowest possible benefit to Canadians for the use of their resource. I ask you to immediately reverse your position and provide for the 2009 recreational Halibut fishery to proceed as it should and create an atmosphere and a basis for development of a rational long term management plan.

Yours in conservation.

Bill Otway
P.O. Box 326
Merritt, B.C.
V1K 1B8

Cc Prime Minister Stephen Harper
Cc Randy Kamp
Cc Hon Stockwell Day
Cc Lawrance MacCauley
Cc Peter Stoffer
Cc Gary Breitkreuz
Hon Gerry St. Germain
Cc Harry Lali
Cc Premier Gordon Campbell
Cc Carol James
Cc Bill Bennett
Cc Kevin Kruger
Cc Robin Austin
Cc Ralph Sultan
Cc Dan Cody
Cc Members of the B.C. Wildlife Federation and the SFAB

I agree rather strongly with Bill on this one, and will be firing off a few letters of support. Those that feel the same should rightly consider doing the same.

Cheers,
Nog

quote:I agree rather strongly with Bill on this one, and will be firing off a few letters of support. Those that feel the same should rightly consider doing the same.

Cheers,
Nog
Nog
I hope your letter has facts that are a little more accurate then the ones in Bill's letter.

And would you care to tell us what you see wrong with Bills letter?

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

And would you care to tell us what you see wrong with Bills letter?
In every instance, after the agreement was reached, the commercial sector breached or ignored that agreement. Now your government has spent over a year, reviewing the latest proposal that we jointly put forward and the commercial sector has again breached, and after a year, you reject it out of hand.

The commercial group sat at the table and worked with the sports group, FN, and province. To the best of my knowledge it was the commercials who made the suggestion that it would be a good idea to spread the 1.8mill over 3 years so that an alternate form of funding could be developed. It was only a suggestion and DFO decided to use it.

The amount of Halibut needed to maintain a viable and vibrant recreational fishery amounts too far less than the commercial sector will leave in the water in 2009.

With a 15% reduction in the Canadian TAC do you really see this happening. It is speculation at best. The rec sector needs close to 600,000lbs to stay within last year’s numbers. That is if last year’s numbers are accurate.

The processing industry advised the Commission that they currently have in storage some 10 million pounds of Halibut from last year’s harvest

The minutes from IPHC show that the number used was 5million lbs.

Of the 435 holders of commercial Halibut quota in 2008, only 168 actually fished for Halibut. The majority Halibut quota holders, 267 take this resource that was gifted to them by the government and sit on the beach while they collect rent for a Canadian resource from the few who are actually willing to go to sea and fish. All fish allocated to and caught by recreational fishers are taken by the anglers themselves not by third parties..

The reason that only 168 vessels fish is that many small boats have sold their quotas and now have an empty “L” tab. This is because fisherman that wanted to stay in the business of halibut fishing decided to purchase more quotas to make a viable business plan.
I would consider a paying guest as a third party.

Yours in conservation.

Show me where the sports group has ever practiced conservation. When have they ever agreed to take less fish, reduce their limits with the increased pressure, or even agree to have better accountability.

I have the out most respect for Mr. Otway. He has been an incredible asset to the sports community. I don’t see the point of sending letters that embellish the facts to the point of being ridiculous.

[/quote]
Show me where the sports group has ever practiced conservation. When have they ever agreed to take less fish, reduce their limits with the increased pressure, or even agree to have better accountability.
[/quote]

How do you take less fish when you are alloted ONEfish??? Half a fish ???:(

quote:How do you take less fish when you are alloted ONEfish???

Did sport fishermen agree to one fish? That's the point he's making.

Take only what you need.

quote:I'm chomping at the bit to get into this FN rights debate, let's get it back onto the "Upset about Halibut" discussion.

FA, feel free to start a new FN debate thread if you like.

I did get "Upset about Halibut" when somone tried to claim them as a public Canadian resouce. Why start a new thread when it was mentioned in this topic? This isn't a F/N's rights debate its a clarification.

Take only what you need.

quote:Show me where the sports group has ever practiced conservation.
Now you are showing your real flag! You obviously know nothing about the sportfishing community.
1) The whole SFAB is run by volunteers who not only represent the anglers interests but most often the interests of the fish. SFAB has regularly proposed reasonable changes to regulation such as closures and restrictions if warranted by conditions. The problem is that the decision maker often ignores or mutilates the original suggestions. I have witnessed numerous votes during SFAB meeting where reasonable and useful restrictions have been passed by the crowd without arguments. I have yet to see any commercials proposing to close or restrict their fishery.
2) No other stakeholder invests that much effort into rebuilding stocks and habitat.
3) No other stakeholder has so little environmental impact with such a big benefit to the economy.
4) There is a whole catch-and release industry on the freshwater sportfishing side of things. I also know a lot of anglers who now stay away from river-salmon fishing since the stocks tanked - just to leave those few poor boots alone.
5) Besides from the occuring idiots and inevitable bad apples, the sportfishermen in total have an ideological interest in intact aquatic ecosystems and are not based on short-term financial interest since anglers fish for fun and not for money. Therefore it is the only stakeholder group that can actually claim to conduct conservation without a conflict of interest.

This was really a cheap shot and lame try! [xx(]

Chris73-- you beat me to it. He knows absolutely nothing about what drives sportsfishermen. Out local SFAC lobbied to close Ajax/Achillies Banks years before the RCA stituation hit us. We have worked closely with Puntledge hatchery to make sure the fish made it into and past the hatchery before any river openings, offered to cut our crab limits locally in half until a proper inventory to assure strong stocks was available. I could go on but I am sure that sport fishermen will recognise his BS for what it is.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Chris73-- you beat me to it. He knows absolutely nothing about what drives sportsfishermen. Out local SFAC lobbied to close Ajax/Achillies Banks years before the RCA stituation hit us. We have worked closely with Puntledge hatchery to make sure the fish made it into and past the hatchery before any river openings, offered to cut our crab limits locally in half until a proper inventory to assure strong stocks was available. I could go on but I am sure that sport fishermen will recognise his BS for what it is.

In 2005 the commercials asked IPHC to reduce the Canadian TAC by 1,000,000 lbs. It was rejected on 2 reasons. 1) The FN groups said science should know best. 2) There was no input from the rec sector... because they did't attend.

We have had a 45% reduction in TAC in 5 years and we keep hearing the same bogus stuff. "It's not a conservation issue." "we are not catching more it's just better accounting." "our numbers on the water haven't increased"....."Don't reduce our efforts reduce everybody elses" 30 springs, unlimited halibut, great conservation measures.

What a bunch of useless and unsubstantiated slur! Not even worth commenting. Do your homework or spare us of this nonsense! [xx(][xx(]

Back