Halibut recommendation from SFAB to DFO

Cuba Libre

The Halibut working group of the SFAB has recommended that limits remain the same for this coming year..... EXCEPT that there is a recommended INCREASE in the sizes of the fish . Small fish --90cm (approx 20#) Large fish 133cm (70#).

This has gone to DFO and its up to them if this will be accepted or modified or just rejected . Stay tuned........

I am happy with that..... Let's just see what happens

Would have been happier with larger size on the smaller fish. Leaving the large one the same. But oh well.......

Last edited by a moderator:
To be specific, referring to the representatives from Victoria that were at the Main Board SFAB meeting in Richmond on the weekend, the following details came from the motions passed:

1: The 2014 recreational halibut season start February 1 and end December 31;
2: For 2014/2015 (commencing April 1, 2014) recreational halibut limits will be one fish per day, two in possession, with an annual limit of six, and a maximum size limit of 133cm on the larger fish and 90 cm on the smaller fish.

Read the exact wording of the SFAB Main Board Halibut Motions at www.anglerscoalition.com in the news section (The Skinny)

DFO suggested the decision on regulations will be discussed this week within the department and the decision to open the season on FEBRUARY 1 is a Pacific Region DFO decision. The SFAB consider these proposed measures to be sufficiently low risk and achievable as there are buffers included into the catch modelling to allow for biological risk (growth of halibut from year to year) and minor changes in angler behaviour. DFO provide all the catch and fish size data used in the models.

DFO have not confirmed they will accept the SFAB Main Board proposal but agree to work on expediting a decision.

Hope this helps

From Team SVIAC

Seems to be a step in the right direction. Hopefully they can increase the max size next year a bit once the numbers come in.

Hopefully the south Island fishers get their early opening.

A step in the right direction.

I applaud those who are working hard for us behind the scenes.

New member SVIAC, welcome to the forum! An official voice is long overdue and I look forward to following along with any updates you may have. Thanks Team SVIAC.

this is good news for us as far as I can see, it's a more cautious approach than some would like. If we use up our TAC and get shut down early then clearly we need more TAC in the future.

Thank you to all involved especially the SFAB I feel well represented.

Opening day could be Saturday!!

We have seen restrictions for several past years now but it sounds like we could see an improvement for next year. This is a breath of fresh air. Like others have posted, thank you to all of those on the front lines battling for the recreation sector. It is much appreciated.

That's liveable. Although would of liked upper slot higher. Eventually, although hard to do now, we need to get rid of upper slot completely

I have a feeling next year we will be around same tac....and I hope we look at shoulder season options....
Larger upper slots, longer shoulder seasons..... Seems to be very a "guide-oriented" approach, SG. Normally you are a little more focused on what is best for the angling community and not quite so guide-centric. A new direction for you or am I way off? If I am way off I apologize.

In addition, I too applaud the hard work being done by all who are involved in the recommendations and process. Thank you for your dedication and diligence. If we get additional size for both upper and lower slots we are all a little better off.

Back