Halibut Quota Taboo Subject on SFBC?

I think we get boned by our feds, the Alaskan commercial fisheries and the BC commercial fisheries. I also think BC recreational guys are getting boned by the same crowd. However, things are even worse for you guys as you have little to no hatchery capacity and your wild fish have to compete for food against the HUGE numbers of hatchery fish dumped into the waters by Washington, Alaska, Russia and Japan. There's a finite carrying capacity in the Berring sea and when all of your neighbors dump far more hatchery fish in than you do, it has impact. So while many on the West Coast of VCI are rightfully thankful for the WA hatchery fish you catch off the coast (now the majority of your rec catch), the bigger picture is that you're getting screwed by not competing in the "hatchery marketplace" and not being able to prevent the damage done by others who do.
Totally agree with you. The issues created by salmon ranching are totally ignored by the environmental community, or certainly not high on their agenda. I think the current system is somewhat akin to turning livestock loose in your neighbours pasture, then benefiting on the free grazing come roundup time. I'm not against hatcheries, but believe they are a prime example of where competing industries in a variety of countries, are selfishly increasing their mostly commercial harvest at the expense of the wild stock. Not sure if Canada ramping up hatchery capacity and joining in by dumping more hatchery fish into the mix is a good solution? I suggest it might just add to the problem, unless of course it's offset by a reduction of someone elses production.
Prime example of a problem that our governments should be looking ontogether. There are no fences out there!

Anyway, back to Halibut.

Back