Halibut quota ideas?

And he does that for twelve months a year? On a dragger? Or longliner? And when you say rockfish what type? I should clarify my statement. There is no longline rockfish deckhands that make over a 100 grand a year.

Dragger. But I'm just reporting what I'm told so dont shoot the messenger ;). And at airport on way to Cuba so lil toasted so typing may be off

Our fight is not with the active commercial fisherman, it's with the slipper skippers.
Fish4all has tried to educate us and unless things have changed agrees with us on the slipper skippers.
Perhaps he can confirm......
GLG

confirmed... fully

Cool, so you are allowed an overage of up to 10%. So as a whole, with 6,000,000 lbs, you folks are allowed to catch up to 600,000 as an overage, or as a buffer if you will. Or more hten half the total rec quota. That seems fair.

not how it works.

say i have 10,000 lbs to catch
i make 1 trip for 6000
on my next trip i could take 4000 + 10% of the 4000 (400lbs).

Very few boats fish up to 1% and very very very few can take the 1% (59,000lbs this year) in one trip. So it is impossible for us to go over by 600,000
e

Last edited by a moderator:
Fish I have only one question so you have to pay 7 grand but YOU have a quarenteed season for us sporties its ?????????????????? and more??????????

so you can plan every year to know you have a season, and out of it how much are you going to profit from it 100,000 grand maybe lots more!!!!! im a betting man and i bet its alot more than that so 7 grand is a fart in a wind storm its gone as qiuickly and its been dropped,
And trust me i respect a true commercial fisherman WHO fishes and works on his boat and goes out ON HIS boat. that has never been a doubt in my mind..

Wolf

yes... that is the one of the pros of quota for us. We pick our time and weather. our season may only be 9-14 days but yes we can plan. it is a form of security no question.

The majority of quota holders are far less than 10,000 lbs. on average 70-$85,000 gross before the bills and crew get paid

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he wants to see cameras on every sport boat but there are counting measures that are practical that would be an improvement on what is done now. Put aside the allocation debate on this for a second. Even if that was stricken down tomorrow and we had our full season back at 2-3. Should we still not look at better ways to monitor what we take to ensure we wouldn't slip down to long periods of restrictions to correct some overfishing? They are 2 separate issues, you can agree with better monitoring and not quota.

I dont feel a camera on every boat is reasonable at all. If DFO is correct in that 60-65% of the fish is being taken by lodges then perhaps that is the best place to start with better monitoring requirements.

Also for your last question I view the camera as a necessary evil. We have people on our side of the fence that cheat if possible. Fish are a valuable resource. We needed a way to clean it up and I personally feel for the most part the camera has done that. Yes we still have a few scumbags that cheat and steal but they are getting weeded out fast.

Saw his slip for 3 weeks @ $8k before taxes

That can happen for a few trips out of the year when they go after the high end black cod, ling cod and rockfish but there is no way today with the reduced quotas, increased fuel costs and leases that they make that kind of money. There are a few...very few independent boats that don't charge the crew a lease that are still making good money.

How many independant boats are there left? It seems to me the biggest problem here is the quota holders who are nothing more than commodity traders. It seems to me that most or all the independant commies should side with the sporties, you would probably fare a lot better than dealing with the traders. They never get halibut slime on their hands.

That can happen for a few trips out of the year when they go after the high end black cod, ling cod and rockfish but there is no way today with the reduced quotas, increased fuel costs and leases that they make that kind of money. There are a few...very few independent boats that don't charge the crew a lease that are still making good money.

Jimmy Patterson own's a lot of different quota's (Canadian Fishing Company)
Not sure if he will want to fish any of it off his big yatch or get slime on his hands?

Back