Halibut Numbers and Size

SerengetiGuide

Was talking to a guy at the marine Petro Can here in Hardy and apparently all the commie halibut fishermen are saying that this is one of the best seasons they've had in the past 10-15 seasons. Avg size is WAYYY up and numbers are unreal. Apparently string after string are chalk full and very large. Isn't this just beautiful to hear... :p Getting the ones we can't keep now, what a joke.

My point is though, has anyone else heard this? He said almost every single boat that has gone in there has said this. Do you think the test fisheries by IPHC could be off or are the BC fleet just getting lucky?

OMG, get over it already. Sounds like commi's trying to get your goat and succeeding. BTW down here there have been very few large halibut caught to be released. I would say this is a year of a higher percentage of chickens. I'm seeing mostly 15 to 25 pound fish being taken in areas that would normally have larger fish.

The commercial guys are doing really well. I just talked to a friend that call me as they were being unloaded. Told me to make the drive and grab a couple for my freezer as I can't get out yet. Worst thing is doctor still won't let me drive so I couldn't go get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, get over it already. Sounds like commi's trying to get your goat and succeeding. BTW down here there have been very few large halibut caught to be released. I would say this is a year of a higher percentage of chickens. I'm seeing mostly 15 to 25 pound fish being taken in areas that would normally have larger fish.

Like I said this thread is about if this is true and if so what it means, not a complain thead...so learn to read. Not to mention I didn't hear this from any commy... Once again look a lil straighter.

From the few above posts it seems true. Good sign? And would the iphc take commy numbers and sizes into account or just their test fisheries?

Same as us. Not as big as last year, so far........ 20 - 25 lb average

Dave I should have asked you to pick up for me...... They were unloading in Hardy.
You would have been able to see the catch unloaded and taken pictures.

Would of for sure man. Let me know next time.

Only been Hali fishing 3 times this year on exploratory missions and seen bigger average. But that's one rec boat. I think commie fleet with amount of fish they catch has better handle on size and numbers than what a few rec guys are seeing, so that's why I was asking about them.

Numbers are good but size is way down here on SVI. Last year and this year I see an average size of about 20# where a few years ago it used to be more like 40#.

The average sport caught halibut in Juan De Fuca straight for the last 8yrs has been 19 to 21 lbs hasn't changed .I have a buddy who works on a commercial hali boat and he said the same thing excellent numbers haven't seen it like this in yrs and a huge bio mass of 20-30 lbers .lets hope this weighs well for future increases,might be dreaming.

Back