Halibut Notice, Daily limit of 2

Tailspin

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=119501&ID=recreational

Am I reading this correctly? If I am, that is great, I think? Nice to find out 3 days later[xx(] I just talked to dfo Fisheries officers while they searched boats at the ramp the other day, they looked at me like i was from the dark ages when i asked if the rumour of two a day was true.

Closures looming for the end of August... 1 a day now it's back at 2...[B)][B)][B)][:0]

Chris "Govener" What is really going on here?

www.tailspincharters.com

Yes, Tailspin this is good news [^]. The 2 per day hali limit (up from one per day) should stay in place until December 31st when the season traditionally closes. We'll see?

While I sense everyone high fiving eachother and shouting "Yeah, right on man!" it is in fact a truly sad state of affairs! The big buggerboo is the truth that the Dino would NOT listen to the SFAB at the beginning of the year when the hali season should have opened Mar 1st and should have been 2 per day all season. Your SFAB reps pled loud and often right from the beginning and got absolutely no where. There was even a meeting with Shea, a letter writing campaign, an SFI trip to Ottawa and remember the protest rally in Victoria but no movement at the Dino.

The Dino wanted proof that fishing business would be down at the lodges and that our sector could secure additional quota from the commercial sector so as not to exceed the 918,000 lbs (our basic 12% hali allocation). After no luck with Dino in early spring, the plan was to have the 2 per day limit start July 1 or 15 (not August 22 :( when the majority of ocean bank fishing is almost over). There was even a consultant hired to survey lodges about the change in business year over year. Dino assured the SFAB the creel data would be collected and reviewed early (But I heard someone at DFO went on holiday and dropped the ball making the creel data way way late :()

So finally we are fishing 2 per day and have a 2 fish possession limit. Trouble is we have had to endure a huge pile of BS and loss of historic fishing opportunity to get us here. In truth this disruption to our sector comes right down to the failed Thibeau Allocation Policy which Shea wants to cherry pick which parts to abide by.

We need this problem fixed fairly but I am not holding my breath. Seems like no one in Ottawa gives a s&!t about the recreational fishing sector or all the positives it brings to the BC economy.

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Back