Halibut limit may drop in 2017.

OldBlackDog

Southeast halibut catch limit may drop in 2017
The International Pacific Halibut Commission is considering a cut of 870,000 pounds to Southeast Alaska’s 2017 halibut quota.

The IPHC, the joint Canadian-American body that sets annual halibut harvests, concluded its interim meeting Nov. 30 in Seattle. The IPHC will set the 2017 quota at its 93rd annual meeting from Jan. 23 to Jan. 27 in Victoria, B.C.

During the interim meeting, IPHC staff recommended that the entire North Pacific halibut catch be reduced from 29.89 million pounds to 26.12 million pounds.

Most of the reduction would fall in the eastern portion of the Gulf of Alaska and in Pacific Canada.

In regulatory area 2C, which covers Southeast Alaska, IPHC staff are recommending a 4.08 million-pound quota. That’s down from 4.95 million pounds in 2016.

Both figures are for commercial and sport fishermen combined.

Throughout the North Pacific, halibut stocks declined continuously from the late 1990s to about 2010. Since 2010, halibut stocks have begun increasing gradually, IPHC studies report. The issue for fishermen, scientists and regulators is continuing that recovery while balancing the need for a healthy fishing industry across Canada, Alaska and the Pacific Northwest states.

Since 1993, Alaska’s halibut fishery has operated under a federally managed “individual fishing quota” system that allocates portions of the coastwise catch to individual fishermen or corporations.

The eight-month commercial halibut fishing season runs from March to November, and Juneau is usually among the busiest commercial halibut fishing ports in the state.

According to the National Marine Fisheries Service, Juneau landed just over 1 million pounds of commercial halibut in 2016, making it the No. 6 halibut port in Alaska. Petersburg was No. 1 in Southeast, with 1.37 million pounds landed; Kodiak was No. 1 in Alaska, with 2.57 million pounds landed.

Those figures do not include recreational and subsistence landings.

At the interim meeting, IPHC leaders were presented with a range of options, but the “blue line,” the suggested choice, would impact Canada hardest. In Canadian waters, the catch would decline from 7.3 million pounds to 4.72 million pounds. In the central Gulf of Alaska, the catch would fall from 9.6 million pounds to 9.41 million. It would rise in the western gulf and fall in most of the Aleutians and Alaska Peninsula.

Even at the blue line harvest levels, IPHC staff believe there is a significant chance — about one in three — that the recommended 2018 quota will be at least 10 percent less than in 2017. The chance drops dramatically if the IPHC picks a 2017 quota below the blue line.

WTF. Alaska is taking the lions share of the Halibut and only having their take reduced by a fraction. We take far less, but are getting a massive reduction. How can that be justified. We are to cut our catch from 7.3 million pounds to 4.72 million pounds. Looks like we are about to get the royal shafting yet again. Total catch to be reduced from 29.89 million pounds to 26.12 million pounds. Do the math, this proposal dumps almost all the cuts on us in BC.

Last edited:
The IPHC meeting is in Victoria this year in January. I am sure the IPHC has the data to support the above as they calculate biomass by IPHC geographic area, where BC is area 2B. Doesn't mean that it is fair or that there are other factors that should be considered such as a coastwide restriction on retaining the big females.

So, imagine what your new limits will be if this happens!

Total weight of? Total possession of 1 ?

The IPHC meeting is in Victoria this year in January. I am sure the IPHC has the data to support the above as they calculate biomass by IPHC geographic area, where BC is area 2B. Doesn't mean that it is fair or that there are other factors that should be considered such as a coastwide restriction on retaining the big females.

So, Eric are you saying the biomass is down in our area therefore we are to take the biggest cuts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are halibut not highly migratory. The Alaskan Trawl fleet wastes 3-4X our total take as incidental bycatch. The Alaskan sports and commercial halibut sectors take over 3X our total catch of Halibut. Just as with our Salmon from BC. Perhaps the reason our numbers are down in BC is because of the Alaskans massive catch and wastage of Halibut that might otherwise migrate into our waters.

It seems insane the poundage of Halibut that is caught and wasted in Alaskan waters yet they are taking very little reduction. As a matter of fact some of the areas in Alaska are actually having there take increased.

Seems as if the IPHC is rewarding the Alaskans for their massive wastage, while sports fishers here are are being penalized in every way possible. We are now getting morts deducted from our catch in the sports sector. Are the morts in the Alaskan Pollock Trawl fishery being deducted from the Alaskan commercial sectors TAC.

Perhaps if they weren't taking and wasting millions upon millions of Halibut the biomass South of Alaska would be in far better shape. Seems to me that we are going to be penalized for the Alaskans massive harvest and wastage.

Under those proposed regulations and the likelihood that the regs will be even tighter in 2018 the fishery might as well be closed completely. If a Canadian citizen can't go harvest a Halibut for his family the commercial sector should be shut down here. The Commies take 7 years of our take in a single season. Shut it down for one season and we might have a chance at being able to have a worthwhile catch in a year or two. Unless we get more of the TAC it won't even be worth fishing in 2017, and 2018 will be even worse. Shut the commercials down, that's going to be far more effective than limiting Joe public to 1lousy 20 pound halibut a season. With proposed changes like that why even bother to go Hali fishing as a sporty. Shut the commie fleet down and it will actually increase the biomass quickly and have far more benefit. What's the point in even keeping it open for the sportiies if that means the commies take 88% of the TAC and we have even tougher restrictions in 2018. The commercials are the ones taking most of the fish. It's time they suffered and not just the Canadian public who are left with the scraps and carcasses.

Last edited:
Lot's of interesting things happen within those 5 days of meetings...what u see recommend doesn't always see the light of a day.... I wouldn't get your nickers in a knot yet as there is a very good Canadian team that reps. us there.... lots of stuff goes on behind the doors of the meeting.... I can assure you are neighbours in Alaska have no love with area 2B ..our neighbours south of us support us for the most part...

Last edited:
Our wpue in area 2B has actually gone up... They're trying to proportion it differently to favour area 3.

Lot's of interesting things happen within those 5 days of meetings...what u see recommend doesn't always see the light of a day.... I wouldn't get your nickers in a knot yet as there is a very good Canadian team that reps. us there.... lots of stuff goes on behind the doors of the meeting.... I can assure you are neighbours in Alaska have no love with area 2B ..our neighbours south of us support us for the most part...

Got to agree with Derby on this one and if you look at this you will see why.
nr-2016-29-2.png

Our wpue in area 2B has actually gone up... They're trying to proportion it differently to favour area 3.

That seems pretty obvious looking at the IPHC's own numbers. They are already harvesting obsenely more than Canada or the Southern US States are permitted. Now they are trying to play higgedly piggedly with the math and give them an even higher proportion. I used to have some respect for the way the IPHC managed the halibut stocks with conservation being the first concern. Now it appears conservation is only a priority if everywhere else but Alaska are the ones suffering conservation cutbacks. If Alaska took even a paltry ten percent reduction Halibut stocks would rebound quickly. Instead we are supposed to take a near 50% reduction on our already comparatively small piece of the pie.

Never assume.
Lots of people assumed Trump would not be President of the U. S.

Get involved.

A few other groups that have seats WCGA BCWF SFI along with SVAAC.. if you don't belong to any of the following u should pick one or all the above and become a member....

Back