Halibut in Tofino??

LouDogII

Hey all,

Been fishing the last few days in Tofino. Jay's shop have provided me with lots of info and because of them we've been into the chinook, lings and rockfish, but it's momma's birthday and she really wants a halibut. We've been bottom bouncing, trolling deep but can't seem to find them. I've seen lots of halibut on the cleaning table (mostly from Clayoquot Venures charter boats) but I can't bring myself to grill the[?]m for an area. The guides have been friendly but pretty general (understandably) with where they are catching the halibut. Can anyone tell me if the halibut are all coming from offshore? I'm in a 542 Campion and not real comfortable too far out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Try trolling a Brown Turd 2-3 miles off of Lenard Is light house in 160-170ft of water, or if its calm run out to Portland Point and drag a big herring on the bottom.

:)
Most will tell where they caught them... cause where is not the secret... how???? Is the trick!

Ask... nothing ventured... nothing gained!

Scott,

Come by the shop and I'll try and get you dialed in to some close spots for Halibut.

The post that mentioned going 160-170 feet will take you minimum 7-8 miles offshore from Lennard lighthouse.

I was looking around some areas yesterday approx 5 miles, and they were there.....

My guides are keen to help, but I don't know too many people that hand out exact GPS coords...

Jay

www.tofinofishing.com

Wow,

Thanks for all the responses:

SeaWolf: I've responded to your e-mail. Yer right we gotta stick together, anybody who can stand that amount of pounding on the chop deserves a fish once in a while. [B)]

CPony: Thanks for the info, I'll check the chart for that one. [8D]

Charlie: I like learning to catch fish, I don't mind putting in the time and money. It's a sport I love, it's being where there isn't any chance of catching fish that serves no purpose. Just looking for a hand up, not a hand out. Most have been in my place at one point or another. Thanks for the reality check though...

Jay: We will be coming through town at 8:30am or around there, the weather and tides look good for a 10:30am high slack and good straight through into the afternoon. I don't expect the guides to hold my hand, they have always been very gracious, and co-ordinates weren't expected. I hope I didn't come across ill-mannered. I know they are doing their job and would rather not find a sporty over their spot when they show up to earn their living. I certainly meant no offence. Will you be in the shop or out guiding? Regardless, I'll need some bait and more gear...

Cheers all
Scott

Scott,

No offense taken at all....

I'll be in the shop for the day, and wishing I was on the water with weather like this.

Jay

the outer lip at Amphirite :)))) a bit of onshore will drive you right over the edge. bit of a run South, but good.

Update,

Got Scooter dialed in for Halibut this A.M. and have not heard how his day has gone, but our guides slammed Hali's and Lings today. Some very consistent Chinook fishing for a while now, with the best along the coastline.

Jay

Updated updated update…

Yup, Jay got us pointed in the right direction. He was a little embarrassed selling us the brown turd and the artificial squid baits in fear of coming across as a salesman (they are both a little pricey). Since I don’t work retail and got nothing to gain to tell you, the turd is the ****!! [:eek:)] Once we drop thousands on a boat and motor, thousands more on rods, line, downriggers, nets and electronics (not to mention over a buck and a half a litre for fuel) I’d rather spend a couple extra bucks and have something that works on the business end of the line.

We jigged with mudrakers while I was snelling up a couple rigs and didn’t get a sniff. Soon as the artificial bait got to the bottom on a spreader bar…wham…first halibut on our boat. Second one on a brined herring that was on the other side (gotta have bait on one side, no?). Once my wife and I each got a halibut we decided to troll the brown turd on one side and a ‘chovi on the other. The next two halibut came off the brown turd. Well worth the extra money in my book!

No salmon today, but we weren’t in the spot Jay mentioned for both salmon and hali fishing. It was further out and we were ecstatic with how thing were going. Decided to head in and save the salmon fishing for tomorrow morning.;)

Here comes a plug for Jay’s Fly and Tackle[:I]: If you’re going to Tofino, drop in and see him and his crew for gear, bait, advice and charters. I got treated right both trips to Tofino and I gotta say it was a real pleasure. His guides at the docks always seem to have fish and happy clients and the guys and gal I spoke with at the shop the three times I stopped in for gear were all awesome. Nobody talked down to me or made me feel like I was a pain in the butt.
There are probably other tackle shops in Tofino, might even be as good, but Jay’s definitely has my vote for damn good customer service and hospitality!! Attaboy Jay! Great crew you got!

Seawolf: Never made it to the spot you mentioned, but I’ll keep it quiet and might hit it when these halibut have been consumed. Thanks very much for the help.[8D]

Cpony: Thanks for the tip on the brown turd hootchie…it’s great![8D]

Cheers,
Scott

Anybody able to post a picture of a "Turd" hootchie ?
never seen one before...

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Just go to Trotac and ask, I think the number is J85.
Good going, where was the general area you hit for the Hali?

It is a J85 Brown Squid Hoochie.

One of my guides was approx 8 miles further offshore this afternoon from where Scooter fished, and hit 8 Halibut in a few hours, not too abnormal....

What is really interesting is that he said it was alive out there on the surface. Herring skimmering the surface, Coho jumping and chasing bait and even a couple Chinook (or really thick Coho )finning on the surface after the bait.

We have good Chinook fishing along the rocks right now, but have been waiting for a couple more waves of these Coho to move closer. I don't think I'll send the Fly boat out quite that far.....

Jay

www.tofinofishing.com

Back