Halibut Fishing to Close Sept.09,2012

Derby

Crew Member
Look's like Halibut season is to be closed mid-night Sept.09.... more to come later today... :(

Hali fishing has been so good for us this year that I was fearing it was going to happen sooner - feels like glass half full to me, but I guess that is only because I have already been conditioned and forgotten that there used to be no early closures at all.

Total BS.....Same position as last year nothing has changed.

Oh yes things have changed! We now have a over under limit! This early closure, coupled with the over and under slimit, and the spotty salmon fishing on WCVI this year is going to spell disaster for the G/O next year i bet. Brutal. IMO the only way this will ever be fixed is if DFO has proper catch data. Until then we will get screwed over and over. Make a hali stamp, make it mandatory to hand it( even online) then we can start talking using REAL data.

Lorne

On a side note. This totally blows, and i need to go kill a hali asap!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes things have changed! We now have a over under limit!

You gotta know Lorne, that without the over / under limits this year we would have seen the season close around August 1 (as was erroneously reported as "fact" by a certain charter company out there earlier this season... ) At least we got all of August before The Dino once again reared it's rather ugly head. :(

And you are correct Sir: This TOTALLY BLOWS!!!

More than makes one wonder when The Dino's own stats note that "effort" was down remarkably this season - publicly stated as a 35 to 40% Reduction over last season??

Nog

Iron Noggin is 100% correct in my opinion, had the over\under regulation not been in effect we would have been closed some time in August for sure.

Better catch and more specifically effort data is desperately needed as some of the catch estimates seem almost incredibly high and its based on effort, not cpue or average size.

Of course, the only real solution is for DFO to get a grip, do something meaningful for communities and small business rather than a small group of individuals with special priveledges, and allocate more halibut to our sector.

I'm not holding my breath on that one, but lets face it, it is the only thing that will get us back to full seasons and full limits until our national TAC increases.

CP

Which is pretty much a joke, we looked into it last year just to see what was involved.
Anybody can apply for the license and if approved you are good to go Halibut fishing.
If you catch any, they have to be logged in a book and at the end of the season
you must report the catch to the authority and an invoice is created.
As far as i can see its an "honor system".
They are relying on individuals to report the Halibut caught with accurate length/weight measurements.

How do you think that will work ?

Now watch the stampede to the "Experimental Fishery"

Let's Hope NOT CL! EXACTLY the WRONG move, and EXACTLY what they are trying to pressure us into doing!
We simply cannot buy in to that particular pile of Bull Crap!

If that starts in any real numbers, there will be NO way to further the cause towards our Rightful Access! :(
And we will have bought into their Illegal Agenda of Private Ownership of fish that still swim!

Nog

Damn I have had a lot of fun Halibut fishing this season. I deffinetly got my share of the TAC this year that feels good sorry I probably took some of your guys' share too. Bring on March 1, 2013! I hope we can squeek another % or two out of the commies by then. Clearly the couple extra % they gave us this year was not near enough for anywhere close to a full season.

Or( based on abundance ) until the IPHC increases the annual TAC available ?

That's what I meant, our national share as provided by the IPHC.

And once again, Nog has hit the nail on the head. Particiaption in the experimental fishery is the surest way to guarantee we won't get a few more %age points sometime in the future. Nothing but bad news and IMO is a direct insult to any ethical, sport oriented angler.

CP

Now we know its political bs when theres 40 percent less fisherman out there and we reach our quota at basically the same time as last year.Pretty skewed numbers as far as im concerned.Maybe the fact the commies are threatening to sue put pressure on them to shut us down.

I might get a weekend out of it this year... Never went earlier :(

Lippy.... I am the 40%

Back