Halibut fishing: Effects of electrolosis

Fish Nutz

Hello all

I'm curious. I see people advertising refined lead for cannon balls which is supposed to be better for fishing because there is no electrical charge created by the impurities in the lead reacting with salt water. I have the oportunity to use 3/4" steel bar stock instead of lead for halibut weights and am wondering if this will have an adverse effect on my success. Since I can get the steel for dirt cheap i'm very curious, but if it means I won't catch as many fish i'm not interested at all!

Any input would be great!

Thanks

FN

poppy ****

I just have tho think that the discussion over differential metals is not on.

Here's my reasoning:
one of the better known jigs for halibut is the "lucky jig" a jig made from chrome tubing with lead poured in it with a different again metal for the loop at the top of the weight.

look at the ever popular Swedish jig, stainless steel with a different grade steel ring and hook

look at our salmon gear.... coyote spoons ss hook on a welded steel ring on a ss blade most likey a different grade or mix look how they come out of the package with galvanized hooks even more electrolysis

I get the black box thing when you have 100+ feet of ss wire in the water and errant current from the boat causing havok, but when you consistently have dissimilar metals used in successful tackle I think the problem might be place time and speed rather than electro chemical problems.

just my thoughts

2436851530101868639hrtsBZ_ph.jpg

Copper pipe jigs are filled with lead and work by creating electrolosis and attracting fish that way. At least that's the theory I've read, never tried them myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't imagine why steel weights would be a problem. Commercial ling cod fishermen use steel bar stock instead of lead cannonballs. The bar stock rides over rocky bottom where cannonballs would get snagged up. Also commercial halibut fishermen use old sash wieghts (steel) on groundline to weigh it down in rocky bottoms.

FishNutz:-

If you are running wire line....you could have 100% pure lead cannonballs and there will still be a galvanic reactuion to some extent. More so if the ball is not isolated from the wire.

Just about ANY two dissimilar metals , when immersed in salt water (fresh too) will impart a galvanic reaction.

The question is .......how much galvanic reaction.

There are charts all over the internet showing the rate of galvanic action per metals used.

There's a reason why they use Zinc for zincs on boats.

One metal is a cathode, the other metal is an annode.

One will disintegrate faster than the other.

Bottomfish are attracted to galvanic voltage..........but it supposedly isn't as high as for salmon.

The books show .45 of a volt for Halibut and .60 of a volt for Chinook generally.

If you are running braid there will still be a galvanic reaction on the ball....if you have the type of ball where they use copper or brass for the clip-loop in it.

2436851530101868639hrtsBZ_ph.jpg

Copper pipe jigs are filled with lead and work by creating electrolosis and attracting fish that way. At least that's the theory I've read, never tried them myself.

Yeah I've heard those are killer lingcod jigs.

I made some pipe jigs this past week to try on the coast. Couldn't catch a damn thing with them. The Spinnow as usual outperformed the rest. I made a dozen of the pipe jigs, about 4oz in wieght. some with stainless balls to rattle, some without. Some oblong (to spin in the water), some round.... Niether caught anything. The rod on the other side of the boat was hitting fish pretty consistantly. They clearly avoided the copper jig. Won't be using them again.

Electrolysis is whatcha use for places you don't want hair. It's a situation where current is applied. GALVANISM is where two metals react underwater.

The only time I ever saw anything close to a voltage problem bothering halibut was once I bought a handful of spreader bars. One of them was of a slightly thinner gauge wire then the other. Never caught a damn thing on it, and that was in the middle of a full on slaughter at Swiftsure.

My experience is a hali will generally eat anything you put in front of it. IF you have three baits out, chances are the one that is more visable will be hit first.

My $0.02

I use pipe jigs for halibut and lings and they work great but like any gear, they are situational.

I use pipe jigs for deep water offshore fishing (300-600') for halis and will pound deep rockpiles (200'+) for lings. The dissimilar metals really do work. I usually scrub up the jigs with scotchbrite or sand paper prior to fishing them and then the key is to keep pounding the bottom. I've found they work best for halis in deeper water with sandy bottoms where you are stirring up dust similar to how you'd fish a mudraker.

Definition of Electrolysis

1. the producing of chemical changes by passage of an electric current through an electrolyte

2. the destruction of hair roots by an electrologist using direct current

Definition of Galvanism

1. a direct current of electricity especially when produced by chemical action

Just to keep everyone informed and happy.

Back