Halibut fishery debate boils down to semantics and spin

Sushihunter

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Halibut+fishery+debate+boils+down+semantics+spin/4189282/story.html

Halibut fishery debate boils down to semantics and spin

By Stephen Hume, Vancouver Sun January 29, 2011 12:09 AM

As a low-abundance year for halibut is expected, catch restrictions have deepened the divide between sports anglers and commercial fishing.

Photograph by: Darren Stone, Postmedia News, Vancouver Sun

As with so much of the lobbying by special interests in this media-saturated environment, the discussion often comes down to semantics and spin.

There's no better example than the current wrangle between sports anglers and the commercial fishing industry over how much of the annual halibut catch each group should fairly claim.

The argument by sports anglers is that the little guy (them) is being jobbed by big business (commercial fishermen) which is hogging the catch.

Before we get to the semantics and spin, some context:

The halibut fishery was important to first nations long before newcomers imposed industrial models in the late 19th century. The subsequent over-exploitation ravaged halibut stocks. By 1910 extinction seemed imminent.

In 1923, Canada and the United States signed the Pacific Halibut Treaty -- the first international agreement independently negotiated by Ottawa. It created the International Pacific Halibut Commission to jointly manage halibut stocks in the North Pacific.

The commission advises catch limits based on a globally recognized science-based model for sustainable fisheries management. Depleted stocks recovered.

Until 1991, boats would race during seasonal openings to catch as many fish as possible until quotas were met. This permitted unlimited participation in the fishery and made it easier for respective governments to control the actual catch. But it also encouraged unsafe fishing. Boats often sank in storms trying to maximize catches.

So, in the mid-1990s the fishery moved toward individual transferable fishing quotas. This permitted boats to fish at any time during the nine-month season but strictly monitored catch limits. Furthermore, quota now included bycatch. Fishermen could sell quota.

At the beginning, sports anglers weren't after halibut. Sports anglers wanted salmon, primarily chinook and coho, with some attention to ling cod and rockfish, particularly in the Strait of Georgia.

When share of the annual halibut catch was allocated, the commercial fishermen's quota was set at 88 per cent and the sports anglers share was 12 per cent -then thought adequate at about twice the annual recreational catch.

Enter the semantics and spin.

"Sports angler" evokes the image of a guy with a beat-up 14-foot tinny and an eight horsepower kicker. Today it includes charter operators with $50,000 boats able to run out to exposed halibut banks and multimillionaire owners of luxury lodges who market to well-heeled tourists.

Some of these commercial "sports" outfits need a thousand employees just to keep their resorts, marinas, restaurants and gift shops staffed. They have been so successful marketing that tourists now outnumber local anglers by about 75 per cent. And they take about 60 per cent of the sports halibut quota.

In fact, for the last three years they've regularly overfished their allocated quota.
Just to put this in perspective, low-end charters run around $950 a day. Mid-range -how about $6,700 for four days guided fishing? At the high end, a three-day getaway for two goes for $20,000 and a four-day helicopter fishing jaunt is advertised for $161,910.
Anglers who ante up that kind of dough expect to catch fish, lots of fish, hence the recent desire for increases in daily catch limits by the "sports" anglers. But we're entering a low abundance year for halibut and catch restrictions are advised. So now tourists are booked when catches may be reduced. How to justify fishing into depleting stocks? Have commercial quota reduced by reallocation.

Frankly, folks with those kinds of assets, charging those kinds of fees, should be able to buy extra quota from the commercial fleet instead of asking that it simply be reassigned.
This brings us back to semantics and spin.

This debate isn't about big business versus little guys; it's strictly about competing business interests and whether one should get a subsidy.

It should be about the health of halibut stocks and sustainable fisheries.
On this one, I'm inclined to put the halibut first since fish make poor lobbyists.
If conservation demands catch reductions, even draconian ones, then let everybody suffer, not just one interest at the expense of another, which is precisely what transferring commercial quota to the "sports" quota is intended to achieve.

shume@islandnet.com

For a debate between sports fisherman and commercial fisherman, go to the following links: www.vancouversun.com/opinion/oped/Recreational+anglers+deserve+fair+catch/4159534/story. html

www.vancouversun.com/story_print.html? id=4147425&sponsor

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Ha...mantics+spin/4189282/story.html#ixzz1CPnKLS88

So this is what you get when you have enough money for a professional lobby and public relations machine and can also afford to purchase large ads in the major papers. I notice they did not allow for comments on what I will politely call an opinion piece.

I am tired and I am going to bed and there is so much incorrect with this column that one hardly knows where to begin. But for starters the halibut allocation issue is “… strictly about competing business interests and whether one should get a subsidy” ???? . Apparently recreational anglers such as myself and thousands upon thousands of others (with no relationship to the guides or lodges) and our long standing concerns about the unfair halibut allocation, don’t really exist. This issue is only about a few greedy multimillionaire lodge owners; thanks for clearing that up for us Mr. Hume.

Wow $50,000 boats hmmmm where do I get one of them???most of the charter boats exceed that limit.

Some of these commercial "sports" outfits need a thousand employees just to keep their resorts, marinas, restaurants and gift shops staffed.

This i find interesting!!!! and thats only one place I imagine all 135 commie boats dont even employ this many people!!!!!
now Xs that by the many operations out there I bet you with his numbers that would be close to a half a million people being employed by sportfishing....hmmmmmmm which do you think brings more money into local communities???

another spin on yet a bullcrap writer.!!!!!!!!

Wolf

So this is what you get when you have enough money for a professional lobby and public relations machine and can also afford to purchase large ads in the major papers. I notice they did not allow for comments on what I will politely call an opinion piece.
Your not serious. I have been reading paid ads in the papers for nearly 2 years now from the recreation side of the story. Many of which are misleading to say the least.
I woudl imagine the oak bay group has some pretty deep pockets to be funding those. Obviously more than Jimmy if one was to keep count.

now Xs that by the many operations out there I bet you with his numbers that would be close to a half a million people being employed by sportfishing
Wolf

wiht that kind of math you should be writing the ads for SFI and SFAB.

I guess at $950 you are on the low end...... just messing with ya

Your not serious. I have been reading paid ads in the papers for nearly 2 years now from the recreation side of the story. Many of which are misleading to say the least.
I woudl imagine the oak bay group has some pretty deep pockets to be funding those. Obviously more than Jimmy if one was to keep count.

What part of the truth is mis-leading? Have you taken a look at the other sides spin?

What part of the truth is mis-leading? Have you taken a look at the other sides spin?

I guess you could start with "No Public Halibut Fishing in BC - 2011" title of the first ad. But your right I don't see how this could be misleading....lmao

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you could start with "No Public Halibut Fishing in BC - 2011" title of the first ad. But your right I don't see how this could be misleading....lmao

This has been a recording:
I am opposed to anyone lodges, guides, commercial fishermen being private owners of Canada's resources...

Wow! even now in the midst of this fight for equity and fairness, to my knowledge the coalition has not been able to match spending for just one of the big full page attack ads in major papers that your millionaire slipper skippers and billionaire corporate buddies have been having your Professional PR machine pump out like the robber barons of the 1800’s. Keep annoying us with this kind of misinformation, perhaps you will provide sufficient incentive that thousands of ordinary anglers will put in a dollar or two each so that we can provide a small counter balance to your paid propaganda. I have read a lot of newspapers over the last two years and I do not ever recall reading anything remotely equivalent to the paid propaganda ads that your professional lobbyists are cranking out in the major papers. The only thing I can think of is that you are trying to mislead the public by drawing a comparison with the small business adds that guides and coastal lodges place to advertize for business. So Fisher 69, when will we start seeing your lobbyists USA style TV attack ads?

Wow! even now in the midst of this fight for equity and fairness, to my knowledge the coalition has not been able to match spending for just one of the big full page attack ads in major papers that your millionaire slipper skippers and billionaire corporate buddies have been having your Professional PR machine pump out like the robber barons of the 1800’s. Keep annoying us with this kind of misinformation, perhaps you will provide sufficient incentive that thousands of ordinary anglers will put in a dollar or two each so that we can provide a small counter balance to your paid propaganda. I have read a lot of newspapers over the last two years and I do not ever recall reading anything remotely equivalent to the paid propaganda ads that your professional lobbyists are cranking out in the major papers. The only thing I can think of is that you are trying to mislead the public by drawing a comparison with the small business adds that guides and coastal lodges place to advertize for business. So Fisher 69, when will we start seeing your lobbyists USA style TV attack ads?

Can you forward or post one of these ads? How about you take the $2 from every pissed of angler and buy some quota.

Sent an e-mail to Mark Hume asking how much Jimmy paid him and I got this back...I will post my response asap

Never met Jimmy Pattison. Met a few charter operators. My information came from Statistics Canada, B.C. Stats, the Sports Fishing Institute, the International Pacific Halibut Commission and websites like yours.

Look, I’m a sports fisherman, but I’m genuine item. I trailer my own 14-foot boat and I catch and cut my own bait and I tie my own flies. I don’t use fish finders. I put out one rod at a time. I make it a point never to limit out, I don’t complain about conservation measures and I sure don’t charge my guests $500 a day to take them fishing. Fishing is not a business to me, it’s a pleasure and a pastime.

People who take out tourists, bait their hooks for them, encourage them to limit out, high grade the trophy fish all so guys who wouldn’t know a herring rake from a piece of cuttyhunk can pose for photos showing how many fish they killed are not “sports” fishermen by my definition, they are just another variety of commercial fishing. As I said in my column, this fight isn’t between sports fishermen and commercial fishermen, it’s between the tour guide industry and the commercial fishing industry.

Sorry if this makes you mad, but I’m as entitled to my opinion as you are.

Stephen Hume
The Vancouver Sun
shume@islandnet.com

Mr Hume

Let's get this straight, you sit in front of your computer, at your desk in Vancouver , do a few Google searches then take pot shots at hard working B.C. residents. One would think you would have at the very least picked up the phone and talked with some involved as to bring your self up to speed on the halibut allocation. My number is clearly visible on my website as well as most other guides and lodges .

So your the "genuine item" eh........well I trailer my 28 FT Transport Canada Certified charter boat to most major sport-fishing areas of Vancouver Island, I have tried tying flies in the past with little success, we all use finders gps and radar (not sure where you fish) for obvious reasons ...SAFETY, I worked for The Pacific Salmon Foundation, I beach fish, I river fish for Chinook, Coho and Steelhead all over Vancouver Island, to feed my family I will certainly take my limits, as a Canadian I have a right to and of course I charge my clients $550 - $1100 to go out and catch some of the very best table fare available anywhere in the world. That's right we actually eat what we catch, something you completely fail to consider when writing this kind of anti-sport fishing drivel. You think all those salmon and all those halibut in those valuable family vacation photographs where somehow sold, thrown away, no, they were processed here, or taken home and were certainly the centerpiece of many a happy family seafood feast. And for this you say myself and others 'ARE NOT SPORT FISHERMEN"
WE ARE RECREATIONAL ANGLERS

You say and I quote "Mid-range -how about $6,700 for four days guided fishing?"
You seemed to have over-looked that these $6700 lodge trips include, flights to and from Vancouver (south terminal) to Haida Gwaii (Sandspit), helicopter trip to and from the remote lodges, first class accommodation, 3 gourmet meals each day, beer and wine, fish cleaning and care, as well as the for mentioned four days guided fishing. Price it out if you just want to get there by yourself:
4 days guided fishing $4000,
flights to and from Vancouver to Queen Charlottes $1500
helicopter to and from Sandspit to lodge $1000
4 days in any luxury resort with all meals beer and wine $500-$600- per day=approx $2200
fish care and shipping to Vancouver from Queen Charlottes 200 lbs- $500
Total approx $9200.00....not a bad deal for $6700

Did you consider the over head independent charter operators have? Operating a 26-28 ft charter boat is not cheap and believe me there are way easier ways to make a living on the BC coast. If you talk to ANYONE who works on the water in our sector, they will tell you straight up, they do this because they love it, first and foremost. Are we businessmen?, of course, are we commercial fishermen, NO. We provide a means of transport for licensed Canadian recreational anglers who are unfamiliar with the BC coast to go out and catch fish SAFELY and to provide food for their families. This is a right EVERY CANAIDAN has, that will never change no matter how hard DFO tries.

Fishing is a passion, and a job for me, it feeds my family, pays my mortgage, boat payments , truck payments, and supports my two sons and my wife.
COMMERIAL FISHERMEN SELL FISH TO FEED THE MASSES, NOT GUIDES AND LODGES NOR DO I SELL THE FISH I CATCH TO FEED MY FAMILY. ,

Why are there fishing charter operators in all parts of the world? They exists simply to take anglers out fishing in areas that the those persons are not familiar with. Having access to the proper boat, fishing gear, safety equipment, tackle, gear, bait and fishing techniques for someone travelling is not an option. We the independent charter boat operators, fishing guides and lodges ARE THAT OPTION......we exist because the world wide demand for our professional services is high. Angling is one of the worlds most popular past times, and we just happen to live in one of the most popular sport fishing locations IN THE WORLD. What makes you think that "Joe Smith" can just arrive on the BC coast, head on down to "Jones Tackle Shop" buy a halibut set-up and go down to any rocky coastline and reel up a couple nice hali's for his family to enjoy back in Sudbury Ontario.....it just doesn't happen that way....

When you get a chance Google up commercial by-catch then give me a call and apologise for your column. Have you ever heard of a commercial fisherman NOT filling his quota if the fishing is good......give me a break.....Comparing our sector to what goes on in the world of commercial fishing is just plain ridiculous. You ***** and complain about how legally licensed Canadian recreational anglers were able go fishing and take home their LEGAL limits (and take a few photos of one of the best times of their lives) of some of the best seafood in the world. If you want to blame the thousands of Canadians for doing that go right ahead, but you are part of a sorry group that numbers less than I have fingers and toes . Every single guide, angler, lodge guest, charter customer is A SPORTS FISHERMAN and to you to say otherwise publicly is an INSULT to anyone who has ever picked up a fishing rod in his life.......mad?.....I'm pissed

Gill... awesome! I fricking can't stand that guy and I got pretty mad after reading it. After I read your reply, I feel much better!

Keeping in mind that any media "columnist" or "reporter" these days has little choice about the spin they project. They are simply pawns and slaves to their job. Editorial decisions are not made by the rank and file, just propagated by these same hired ****** with their paycheck driven ethics.
We have come a long way from the days when integrity was important and newspapers championed the poor and oppressed.

The internet has become the common person's best resource where guilt can be exposed. Contrary to "comments disabled" which a is as good an end to discussion as the term "racist" so commonly used to end arguments not going the spinners way.

This forum and others like it represent a large voting block, keep the pressure on guys!

So an independant reporter does a story on how he reads it. His perspective doesnt line up with yours and you send him a onesided, borderline threatening letter. Great job, keep up the good work. Maybe you should get out the troll spray and label hm as a commie as well....lol

NO not threating him just straighting him out with the real facts.....

wolf

I've got a great deal next weekend 250$ you can use 1 rod and you can't try and catch fish ....Loser.....oh ya no sounder on or gps.......oh ya were going to be tied up to the dock as well.

NO not threating him just straighting him out with the real facts.....

wolf

thx Wolf....I'm sure Mr Hume is shaking in his fish slippers.....his lawyer knows where to find me if he wants to.....if fact fish4all ask him to give me a call.....maybe he's a client of mine......we can go hammer some winter springs and BS about it.....maybe I'll limit him out like we did today In Lambert Channel.....6 beauties.....between 9-15 lbs.....and yes we limited out.....or should we have only taken 3 and left some for Mr Hume to catch next time he is out on the water.....this one is goin on the Q in half an hour.....cheers....jan 2011 017.jpg

Sent Hume a copy of Ralph Shaw's last column... Waste of time....

" I disagree with Mr. Shaw. He fails to distinguish between the independent sports angler and the commercial recreational fishery which, in effect, sells halibut that it obtains at no charge to tourists prepared to pay charter operators to provide the fishing platform, transportation, gear and fishing expertise. The commercial fishing fleet purchases its quota. First Nations entering the fishery under treaty settlements purchase quota. However the recreational sector enjoys free access to the resource. Now, the commercial recreational sector catches 60 per cent of the halibut caught under the sports fishery’s share of the total allowable catch. The commercial fishing fleet has had its catch reduced by approximately 43 per cent since 2006. Similar reductions are in effect in Alaska and Washington. The Alaska and Washington sports fisheries have reduced the daily catch limit to one halibut. Washington has limited possession to two fish. Openings for sports anglers in those states are severely restricted, from nine days to 49 days depending upon area. In B.C., on the other hand, commercial sports operators can catch a fish for every licensed guest every day for 260 days. It now wants the daily catch and possession limits doubled. I’m sorry, but as a sports angler for more than 50 years I cannot see this as a responsible approach to the management of a fish stock which appears to be under increasing pressure and I have little sympathy for it.

Stephen Hume
The Vancouver Sun
shume@islandnet.com

Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 5:04 PM
To: shume@islandnet.com
Subject: Fw: Your Sun Halibut article

I thought you might want to read this recent article by Ralph Shaw, well know BC conservationist, author, educator, well know fisherman, and Order Of Canada companion. Step back and look at where the average Canadian fisherman who not associated with what you call the "commercial sports fishery" , is coming from. No spin here.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_north/comoxvalleyrecord/sports/114741354.html

Back