Halibut-Closing on the 9th

Yup

Fishery Notice

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Subject: FN0774-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Halibut Fishing Closure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throughout the 2012 recreational halibut fishing season, the Department has
reviewed in-season monthly catch estimates for the recreational halibut fishery
with the Sport Fishing Advisory Board.

Although a new management measure (a possession limit of only one fish greater
than 83 cm) was introduced this season to try and extend the fishery for along
as possible, estimated catch information shows there has been an overall
increase in effort and catch.

Estimated catch information indicates that the recreational share of the Total
Allowable Catch will be achieved by early September.

Therefore, recreational fishing for halibut under the BC tidal water licence
will close effective 23:59 hours September 9, 2012 for the balance of the year.
2013 management actions will be developed this fall and announcements will be
made in early 2013.

Variation Order 2012-328.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact: Mark Reagan 250-627-3409 or Rob Tadey 604-666-3279.

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0774
Sent August 27, 2012 at 0834

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit Fisheries and Oceans Canada on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

It seems by that notice that the goal of these changes was to extend the season as long as possible. If that is the case, and the ultimate goal of the regulations was to extend the season, why didn't they make an adjustment to the retention regs in season?

If in season they were seeing increased catch and effort why didn't they forecast from the point how long the season would be? They could've then had consultations with the stakeholders (sport fishermen) and looked at other possible temporary changes to extend the season.

If for example they calculated we had 50,000lbs left mid august..and that we would reach our tac by early september, why not offer the choice of changing to a 1/1 limit (drop that second chicken off) to increase the length of the season?

I'm willing to bet that sports fisherman, lodges and guides alike would have been willing to drop that 83cm chicken for the chance to still catch one big halibut for the rest of the year.

Thats exactly the problem, its only an estimate.
they must base it on lodge numbers, because creel people are hardly ever around to check.

I honestly don't get it. I am well aware that everybody wants to have a 1/2 limit for the entire year with no restrictions; that simply isn't going to happen without another increase in the sport tac.

If the goal is to make the season March 1 to December 31 then they need to have better in season estimates and consultations. They do that with salmon, in season adjustments are common place. The worst possible outcome for most is the unexpected early closure that can ruin planed trips, cancel guide bookings and cancel lodge stays.

unfortunately you can't make the change from 2 to 1 in season, it's a condition of license....just the way the regs work

The season is Feb 1 to December 31 March has come along since the restrictions started. Let's not loose of the correct target.

How can there be an increase in effort and catch when a fisheries officer tells me theres 40 percent less fisherman on this coast this year.They count boats from the plane on a saturday when its flat calm on swiftsure and theres 40 boats on the bank.Little do they know that almost all of them are salmon fishing but they make catch estimates `based on the amount of boats.

I think you guys missed Gamechanger's point which is we have to work within the existing licence regulations as it isn't possible to change catch and possession limits once the licences are printed and out in circulation. The point of the over/under restriction was to stretch the available TAC out as much as possible to gain everyone the longest season possible given the TAC. We accomplished that goal in a year where we had diminished TAC compared to prior years. Without the over/under regulation we would have been off the water in mid July, an even worse situation especially considering the catch data clearly demonstrates the biggest month for recreational halibut catch is August. An early closure would have dampened a lot of rec anglers vacation plans.

I do concur that there needs to be a better mechanism to actively share the catch data in season as it happens to increase the transparency of the decision process.

Regardless, closing hali is not a good situation for the recreational fleet and we need to work on better ways to secure greater TAC allocation.

We need more TAC bottom line. Need to get ramped up again and go after it like we did last year and this won't be an issue.

Well that's disappointing - I can say that I've been out probably 6 times this year trying for a halibut, and aside from a chicken first time out (beginners luck?), we've haven't gotten another in the boat (lost 2). We've put in a renewed effort in the last few weeks (3 trips out), and will continue to do so until Sept 9 for another few days. Should note that we're beginners and drifting for Hali around Victoria only in ideal weather/currents. But the point of my post is that although our boat has been out many times, with 3 licenses in our family, we have so far only contributed marginally to the recreational TAC. Here's hoping we do better in the remaining time!

I think you guys missed Gamechanger's point which is we have to work within the existing licence regulations as it isn't possible to change catch and possession limits once the licences are printed and out in circulation. The point of the over/under restriction was to stretch the available TAC out as much as possible to gain everyone the longest season possible given the TAC. We accomplished that goal in a year where we had diminished TAC compared to prior years. Without the over/under regulation we would have been off the water in mid July, an even worse situation especially considering the catch data clearly demonstrates the biggest month for recreational halibut catch is August. An early closure would have dampened a lot of rec anglers vacation plans.

I do concur that there needs to be a better mechanism to actively share the catch data in season as it happens to increase the transparency of the decision process.

Regardless, closing hali is not a good situation for the recreational fleet and we need to work on better ways to secure greater TAC allocation.

Lets not fight :)

Why is it possible to change catch and possesion limits on other species, say salmon in season and not halibut?

Also would we have shut down in mid july if not for the over and under? How well did this 83cm work? You are saying the catch data clearly demostrates the most fish are caught in august.

1. THe catch data is all smoke and mirrors anyway regardless of the month, however considereing we have been shut down first week of sept 2 years in a row, it would make sense that people are trying to catch a hali in august more then ever in hopes of getting one in the boat before we are shut down with make believe numbers.

From an ex-dfo.....it is complete guesstimate.....approx # of fishers and how many the think people are catching....it is more a management / political decision....allow people to fish until at least the long weekend in Sept and not anger the rec fishers so there is not as much a public backlash....it is really same reason that they do most things.....the least amount of people angered so that they don't have to answer any hard questions.

Why not just have a paid tag and annual limit an d regs for different zones, same as chinook take some of the guess work out.The money could go for enhancement. Commercal boys dont want us catching any.

Bull I say. The SCVI has been far from stellar for Hali since July...
Could be the commies are fishing closer to home,leaving less meat on the bones...

Back