Halibut catch recording

scott craven

This has been discussed on earlier threads but to avoid hijacking the intended topic, here is a new one.

There has been much discussion over how the sport sector in conjunction with DFO
could report their Halibut catch.
Currently, it is all "voodoo science" as there is altogether too much guess work involved.

One idea, would be to issue a Halibut stamp for a nominal fee,
(assuming the proceeds would go to general revenue instead of being spent on the fishery where it should go)
With the purchase of the stamp the angler receives 10- 2 part tags which would have space for the area caught and the length of the fish to be recorded.
The portion with the catch info would then be submitted either by drop box or by mail.
the other portion would be retained as proof of catch should DFO or creel census request it.
Once the tags are gone, the angler is finished for the season.

Of course the system is only as good as the people who use it,
however it would surely paint a more accurate picture than what we currently have.

Let's hear some idea's.

you probably read my idea earlier - DFO creates a database online so we can all update our info there (quarterly ideally, or EOY). I just think anything requiring mailing in, and that much additional work for DFO wouldn't fly. At least once a database is created, the numbers will all tabulate automatically for them and more people would use internet for reporting catch then going through the trouble to mail in or use drop box (if they threaten total closure without the info of course!).

I think its pretty obvious that DFO doesn't seem to care about finding solutions though so we can talk all we want, but they won't listen. JMHO

Agreed, the catch reporting stats could be improved with very little effort (online) or with a moderate effort (stamp/tags). As well, what happened to those log books they were talking about last year? I put in my application and never got one ... did anyone else? I have to agree with Dave, that by not pursuing this info, they are showing that they really don't care about more solid information. So, any time I am given the argument "commercials have to record their catch, video cameras, etc., and who knows what recreational sector is doing", I see it as a red herring that is pretty much to be ignored. The information is there if they want to chase it.

I am guessing they see what they have as sufficient -- first, creel surveys as a representative sample (on average boats played/caught/lost so many halibut of such a size at a given time of year); second, fly-overs and shore counts for how many boats appear to be halibut fishing. I guess the question is ... would the tags or online surveys give a more accurate picture than this? It is still just a representative sample, for those who bother to mail it in or those who tell the truth the creel surveyors. My view is that more real information is better, especially if it gives a contrasting result (different sample).

agreed that there needs to be something done to get a better picture of the true #s being caught by the rec side. I thought I read it somewhere on this site that this has been brought up in the past,with the powers to be only turning it down:confused:.

If people are true in their words, and we hear it over and over on this board, about "equal" access for all Canadians to "their" own share of the resource of halibut then there should be NO arguement bringing in some kind of "Tag" system with a set number per licence per year for people that would like to go and TRY their luck and catch a hali.

I also believe that any NON resident of Canada should need to pay for,through a fee of some sort, to access the Comercial Quota, this way their number's would not be taken out of our/my/your part of the Rec Quota that is put aside for "All Canadians".

I believe that some kind of system is coming, it might not be this year or even in the next 5yrs but its coming...

This IMO would be the only way to level the playing field for all Recreational/Sportsfisher's that would like to access his/her small share of the Canadian Sports Quota.

Back